“General Cayman Experience May 2007”
Review of Grand Cayman

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Hertfordshire
15 helpful votes
“General Cayman Experience May 2007”
Reviewed May 12, 2007

Wonderful! I spent a week and stayed with friends. I recommend the following.
- I dived with Don Fosters (Casaurina Point), excellent service, very friendly and professional. Diving with the sting rays (and huge green eel) at Stingray City was an amazing experience.
- Rum point is beautiful! Relax on sunbeds or hammocks. Just buy a drink/meal. 40 minute drive from George Town (and away from cruise ship passengers). Drive down the 'Kai' and admire the houses and the great house names.
- If you're there on a Friday night, pay $15 for a sunset cruise on a catamaran with Red Sail Sports, price includes chicken wings, just buy drinks. A relaxing way to start the weekend.
- Pedro St James. Excellent audio visual explanation of the 'Great House', it's history and significant, about 20 minutes from capital.
- Botanical gardens. Beautiful, chance to see iguanas if you haven't seen them in the 'wild'.
- Avoid the capital on cruise ship days (Tuesday-Thursday), it's totally different on other days, quiet and uncrowded.

Definitely recommend GC if you like relaxing in the hot weather.

Karen

Beverly, MA
“East End Diving with Ocean Frontiers”
Reviewed May 8, 2007

This was our 3rd stay in one year on Grand Cayman at Compass Point, diving with Ocean Frontiers. Compass Point consists of 1BR and 2BR condos which are clean, comfortable, nicely equipped with full kitchen and washer/dryer. No on site facilities such as a restaurant or bar but they do have a nice sandy beach, BBQ grills, hammocks and swimming pool which makes for a quiet location. Dive shop and dock right on the premises so you can walk out your condo, down the dock and onto the boat. A valet dive service, your equipment is set up for each dive and nicely cared for during your stay.

As expected, the diving was fantastic on the East End. On this trip, we spent 7 days diving with DMs Brett, Neal and Ian, while other crew members led dives for other divers on the boat. To the end, each and every one was a professional with detailed briefings, un/guided tours, and you can dive your own computer profile. While safety is emphasized, fun is definitely the priority. Most of our dives were led by Brett who proved to be endlessly entertaining both above and below the surface and captained the boat like a pro. We dove most of the North Wall with him as well as some highlights from the South Sound area and loved them all. Since it was our third trip, it was very refreshing to dive the sites in Brett’s distinctive fashion. The swim throughs and canyon ways are always fun and a different direction can make it seem like a new dive site! Another highlight was a dive filmed by Kaz, the photo pro (DVD is awesome).

And lest we forget, the friendly staff at the front desk always had a smile and helped arrange extra dives and answered all of our questions.

uk
“relax in heaven”
Reviewed May 7, 2007

have family there so good excuse to go 2-3 times a year and what a joy it is every single time, great beaches great people not a place a wild night out but a great place 2 enjoy the sun and totaly relax away from all the stresses of the uk GREAT PLACE

Aberdeen, Scotland
25 helpful votes
“Cayman Islands - March 2007”
Reviewed April 26, 2007

Got back last month after a 2 week break on the island staying with daughter and son-in-law near Bodden Town. Did all the beaches and definitely the favourite was Cemetery Beach at the North end of 7-mile Beach. Its fabulous, its peaceful, and plenty of shade from the trees when it gets too hot. You have to take your own food/drink supplies as there are no shops nearby but the location makes up for that. Next best was Rum Point, despite it being a bit more commercial. Walk out on the pier and then look back, now that is picture postcard perfect! Forget the cattle market called Public Beach unless you like crowds.

StingRay City is worth a trip as is the Turtle & Butterfly Farm. The Turtle Farm had the best tourist shop.

Had one day of rain but not cold - each day was well above 80f. I got back to Scotland with a tan that wowed the village where I stay.

On the downside - Yep the beaches and sea are awesome but the rest of the island is not pretty if you are used to hills, mountains and lush greenery. Driving on the island can be interesting and although I am used to driving on the left and roundabouts are the same as here in UK, not everyone on the island understands the rules. The speed limits are a real pain but believe me if you have a sudden rush of blood and go above them then YOU WILL GET NAILED.

For those churchgoers among you, I tried out the 1st Caymanian Baptist Church the first Sunday I was there. Awesome building and state of the art auditorium inside. The service was ok but I am used to a more free type of worship. The next Sunday went to the Agape Family Church not far from Georgetown and that hit the spot - bigtime! Refreshing, very friendly and well organised. Highly recommended!

I had a great time and if you like real Irish style breakfasts [aka fry-up] and great meals then I would recommend Fidel?? Murphys. Its got a great atmosphere and the decor is traditional British pub. I had all you can eat fish and chips [fries] which came with a beer, and yes I had another helping. Now that was good value for money!

Enjoy your time on the island and I will post some pictures very soon.

5 Thank Fuzzabsm
Medford, Massachusetts
44 helpful votes
“Avoid the cruise ships!”
Reviewed April 24, 2007

Just got back from a 3 night trip to Grand Cayman. Luckily, the two full days we were there, there were no cruise ships at port, so it was like we had the island all to ourselves! Had signed up for the bio-bay kayak tour with Cayman Kayaks, but it was cancelled due to unsafe conditions. =( Still was able to make it to Stinray City and two other snorkeling spots with Captain Marvin's half-day excursion. I had relied on my Frommer's but they have two things wrong: the Turtle Farm is now part of Boatswain's Beach and the cheapest ticket is $50USD! My friends and I declined and just walked around to the side and saw the turtle tanks for free (although from afar and behind a fence). Also, Frommer's says that the Tortuga Rum Factory is right next door to the Turtle Farm, but all that's there is a little shop. We finally found the factory on the way to the airport, but by then it was too late to stop and take the tour.

Three fun and free things to do on the island:
1. Hell - overrated, but good for at least a photo-op.
2. Blowholes - we only found one (when you're driving east on the south side of the island it's after the Lighthouse Restaurant. You'll see a white wooden stairway which was the only thing I saw that marked the spot), but it was pretty cool. Be careful though, because it's all sharp rocks right around there.
3. Cemetary Beach - Seven Mile Beach was great because it was right across the street from us (we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott), but when you're trying to avoid all the cruise ship passengers, Cemetary Beach is only about a mile north and a lot more peaceful. Plus, I found tons of sea glass!

Courtyard Marriott was fine, although I wouldn't recommend the Mangrove Grill due to the lack of atmosphere. Also, I had asked repeatedly when I checked in for extra towels and linens, but finally we had to go down and get it ourselves. Otherwise, it was great; everyone was really nice and friendly and it was a rather convenient spot on the island. Plus, there's an Avis office right there so it was easy to rent a car.

Restaurants - we went to the Lighthouse Restaurant, Vivine's Kitchen (after the castle-house and before Portofino when you're driving from Georgetown to Rum Point), Lobster Pot (go for the sunset and to watch them feed the tarpons!), and Chicken Chicken! Would recommend all of them, especially the casava cake at Vivine's, which apparently is only made on the weekends.

8 Thank joyosity

Been to Grand Cayman? Share your experiences!