“Don't pass this opportunity for exercise and education by!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cayman Kayaks

Cayman Kayaks
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours meet at Rum Point, left side of parking lot look for kayak trailer. Travel By Paddle with Cayman Kayaks to a Bioluminescent Bay.
Orange County, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Don't pass this opportunity for exercise and education by!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

My husband wanted to kayak while we were in Grand Cayman, so we booked a tour with Cayman Kayaks. Tom was an absolute joy to kayak with. He genuinely enjoys what he does and is always willing to adjust to his audience, answer questions and give you an education on the ecosystem there. Our group was diverse in both background, age and physical capabilities and he handled it perfectly. I definitely recommend his tour over any others there. His genuine enthusiasm is infections. Thank you, Tom!

Visited March 2012
cayman_kayaks_ltd, Owner at Cayman Kayaks, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hello Susan, thanks for coming out with me on tour! Thanks for writing Cayman Kayaks a review.

Wisconsin
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Bioluminescence Bay Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

We chose the evening tour to the Bioluminescent Bay near Rum Point. Kayaking into the bay from Rum Point took about twenty minutes, and was a bit of work in the wind, so this is not for people who aren't reasinably comfortable in a kayak. The bioluminescence like this occurs in only a dozen places in the world. We were there on an active evening and waving your handthrough the waters produce sparkles and light that was amazing. This was one of those combinations of breath taking and eductaional. Wow, what a trip.

Visited February 2012
4 Thank PeteFarr
cayman_kayaks_ltd, General Manager at Cayman Kayaks, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank-you for your review! i'm happy you had a great time and learnt something to take back with you.
Winnipeg, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Cool experience but a bit pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

While it was a cool experience I don't think it was worth 60 bucks per person.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Lorcp
skim_skate_surf, Owner at Cayman Kayaks, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thank-you for your review. There are a number of different discounts on Island that can bring this price down by $10 US dollar. I'm sorry you felt ripped off. feel free to provide me an e-mail (tom@caymankayaks.com) and I can give the tour to you for a rat you are willing to pay.
I hope that dispite the price that you still had a wonderful in this one of 12 places in the world where you can be a kid again and play with sparkles

Kent
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“1 of 12 bioluminescent sights in the world..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

We had fun on the tour.. Although booking with Tom can be a little bit chaotic!
We arrived early for the 8.20 tour last thursday.. There was a drama as 2 kayaks from the previous tour (inc a guide) were missing in action!! They were found safe and sound (but not before the police helicopter had been deployed!!) and it was apparent that the people had embarked on the tour unable to row!! It's not difficult but does require some strength.
When we finally got out it was very worthwhile. Tom explains a little bit of what is behind it and you get to see the sparkles for yourself. It's like something from Avatar.

1 Thank FionaMKent
Thank-you for your raving review.
On this night two guides were out on tour with the guests. One guide at the front of the group and one at the back to keep the guests in line on the paddle to the bio-bay. The paddle to the cove is about 10-15 minutes in shallow waters down wind.
The guide at the back had two guests that were having trouble kayaking because of lack of experience, so he put a two rope to them and towed them to the bioluminescent bay. When he got to the bay he brought them through the bio bay and finished the tour in a safe harbour to ensure the guests that were having trouble paddling didn't have to paddle back.
I continued the tour knowing that the 2nd tour guide was not present. All our staff are First Aid Life Guards and so I was not worried they were not present as they may have had to turn back.

After viewing and enjoying the bioluminescence we paddled back and the 2nd guide was not on shore. At this time I called the guide on his cell phone and did not get a response and so I started searching the shoreline for them while calling 911 to get the helicopter up for a search. Things on the water can happen fast and I was doing everything in my power to make sure if something had gone wrong that there was support for them.

When I got back to the check in point after searching the beach and directing the helicopter to where the kayakers were last seen I met with my guide 2, he ensured me the guests were safe on shore and were completely unaware that the search team was for them.
We now always bring a phone on tour and never get out of each others site.
United States
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Be sure you know where in the parking lot to meet up”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

We were really looking forward to this and spent the day a Rum Point (drive from 7 mile Beach) since we were meeting Tom at 6:10. He told us to meet in the Rum Point parking lot so we parked near the sign so we could see cars coming & going. Unfortunately, no one came and at 6:30 we sent him a text and got no reply. On our way out we stopped at the Red Sail shop as they were closing down and they showed us the meeting spot with was next to the Jet Ski rentals. Not sure why we weren't told to meet there as there was a sign (but it was dark and hard to spot it. To avoid frustration, I would recommend that you are clear on the meeting place. We did reschedule for another nite but it was near the airport and not that good because of the bright lights from the industrial park. On that nite Tom had to have 2 people wait another hour because he had overscheduled the trip. I am not sure if Tom just had too much going on or what. Seemed like a nice enough kid and the kayaking was a cool one-time experience although is was only an hour, not 90 mins.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank just1
skim_skate_surf, Owner at Cayman Kayaks, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Cayman Kayaks has updated their website, brochure, and e-mail responses to ensure that there will be no mistake in the future in finding the location at Rum Point for the night kayak tour.
For future notes: check in down on the beach to the far left side of the property down by the jet skis.

thank-you for your comments