“In a beautiful ocean with huge stingrays...Priceless!!!”
Review of Stingray City

Stingray City Experience Plus Two Snorkeling Stops
$39.99*
Stingray City Experience from Grand Cayman
Ranked #1 of 177 things to do in Grand Cayman
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was referred here after my sea trek was unavailable due to water conditions. The stingray sandbar is spectacular!!! To be in the crystal blue water with huge stingrays was fantastic. You are able to feed them and get pictures with them. make a fist and with your thumb down and put the food in the top of your fist and win you feel the ray suck, let it go. This was the second most favorite part of my cruise vacation after swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel. I booked with Captain Marvin’s which was a good price and less if you paid in cash. Make sure you go in the morning ASAP because the stingrays get full from all the charters and tourists feeding them and less come swimming by as the time goes on. I would highly recommend this and would return.

1  Thank Nyormirror
Write a ReviewReviews (5,496)

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We took a charter (red sail sports) glass bottom boat. The trip was good. A short snorkel by a reef, showed an eel and we were in the water for about 10 minutes. The highlight was the first stop with the stingrays. They will "climb" up on you looking for squid. Keep your thumb tucked in when you put it by their mouth, you will get "nibbled". They are big, scary, beautiful, thrilling, and amazing all at the same time. Take a tour to stingray city, it is a once in a lifetime experience.

2  Thank EandN P
Reviewed January 14, 2013

"Big Chris'" phone number: 345-927-8534 for laid back trip to the reef and stingray sandbar at your leisure (no bathroom, but no 30 people on the same boat with you being shepherded from place to place with an eye on the clock).

I second my mom's review (below) of the reef snorkling trip and the stingrays (though they were a bit too close for comfort when we started feeding them the squid, sort of all over you which can be intimidating to some younger kids). Next time, I'd probably throw the squid out away from us slowly (instead of holding in my hand and having them such it out) just to lure them in to see them up close and personal but not too, too close, i.e. on top of you close.

Some more info from our 10 day trip:
the reef was truly the highlight of our trip. If it were up to me, we'd go a bunch of times with Big chris rather than once with the dolphins (we didn't think it was worth it).
Also the turtle farm and the blue lizard trail were great for kids!

Food: Casanova in georgetown was really awesome, esp when they seat you near or on the beach. Calypso was lovely (great food) as well as Rum point (also on the beach-but the other side of the island).
Mom's review is below:

So, after figuring out that the sandbar was the shallow one and therefore perfect for our family with young children, we were left with who to go with. I saw several boat tours that had many, many people on board with set times of how much they can be in the water, and with a sort of analysis of the planned tour. Still, we decided to call the number on our villa's fridge for "Big Chris". Families had written 'awesome', 'amazing' and 'must-go' to describe his tour.

And, best of all, when I spoke to him on the phone, he beat the other packed-to-the-gills commercial tour operator by a good 120 dollars (we were a large extended family of 7, with 2 seniors and 3 kids age 5-10 yrs)!

He was available the very next day, and we met him at Cayman Island Yacht Club.
(We had had a flat tire but he was so gracious about being left to wait there while we changed the tire en route to meeting with him).

His answer to our questions about where, how long in the water, how long out of the water etc. was, essentially 'I'm yours for however long you want, wherever you'd like me to take you'. He just melted our anxiety, and we really did feel like we were being pampered and on vacation in the Carribbean!

We had the boat all to ourselves, and he took us first to the sandbar where the kids were squealing with delight as they fed the stingrays squid that Big Chris had bought for us. It was truly a thrilling, once in a lifetime experience.
Then he took us to the 'reef' where he anchored his boat directly in front of a Moray Eel's hideout. We saw the eel come out almost completely. That was crazy incredible and along with seeing all the other fish, the best part of the whole 10 day trip in Grand Cayman Island!!
I don't know how he did it, but he knew exactly the best parts of the reef to go to and would guide us while we were snorkeling, all with his laid back, humorous and kind manner. We felt like we had all the time in the world, no rush, no stress.
Only con was no bathroom on board. Still, my 2 young boys experienced their first 'pee over the side of the boat' into the ocean suggested by Big Chris. Absolutely hilarious, I tell you.

We saw amazing and abundant fish of all types, shapes and colors, swimming all around us, clear, clear water almost as far as the eye can see. It was beautiful. Big Chris would wave out at every boat, and would show even the big company boats out there (packed with 27 people-I counted- on their boat!) where the eel's hideout was. Very nice! We felt like we had a charter at all special for us, at a lower price then the big company out there.

Definitely a must-go for this place and this boat's captain!! Loved it, and hope to never forget the amazing things we saw!!

2  Thank n0r_s_16
Reviewed January 14, 2013

It was great and one of the 'DON'T MISS' attractions on the island... I'm actually trying to teach my 3yo to snorkel so he can go... one of the coolest life experiences for everyone. Don't come to Cayman without experiencing this!

2  Thank sslovie
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Petting 'tame' stingray? What's not to like? The 'sailing crew' were extremely friendly, fun and informative. You could get in the water and snorkle, or just stay on the boat and enjoy from a distance.