“Amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sun Rays Tours

Sun Rays Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Sailing catamaran tours to Stingray City and coral reef for snorkeling on board of a Lagoon 380 S2.
Sterling Heights, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I researched several tours for our 1 day stop to Grand Cayman from our cruise ship. Sun Rays attracted me because of the great sailboat and also the fact that we wouldn't be sardined with 50 other passengers while on the excursion. I definitely hit the jackpot.

Walter picked us up at the port and drove us about 15 minutes to the marina where the catamaran was docked. We had a party of 6 people and along the way we stopped at another hotel to pick up another couple. All 8 of us had the boat and staff to ourselves in a very intimate setting. I felt like I was on a friends boat and he was showing us the sights rather than a tour.

We arrived and met the captain, Lorenzo, who assured us that because he sailed this cat from France to the Grand Cayman, that we were in good hands, and he was right. The boat ride, via motor, was about 30 minutes and it was beautiful. We sat on the trampoline up front as the warm wind blew through our hair and made us forget the cold winter we recently left behind.

Our first stop was Sting Ray City which is actually just a spot off the coast in the middle of the sand bar. The water is about 5 foot deep and has massive sting rays ready to be fed by humans. Walter jumped right in and grabbed one for us to kiss and pet if we wanted. Some were more reluctant to touch the large beasts. It is a bit eerie seeing these rays swim by you with such grace and calm. After a few minutes, Lorenzo brought us squid to feed the rays. Once that happened, the rays were on us like a pack of gentle hungry puppies. Rubbing all over you as they tried to see if you had any bit of food in your hands. Some were scared and went back to the boat, but they remained harmless. After about 30-40 minutes, Lorenzo guided us about 1/4 mile farther to the barrier reef where we jumped in with our provided snorkel gear. Walter guided our group over amazing coral and also enticed a Moray Eel out of it's hiding spot to get some squid he was holding in a plastic pop can. Watching this 10 foot monster come out to see us was one of the most memorable moments of our adventure. Walter really seems at home in the water and knows what he is doing. Some of the most beautiful sights can be found at this spot and in my opinion, trumped the sting rays.

After around 40 minutes of snorkeling, we were finished. We got back on the sailboat where Lorenzo and Walter raised the sails and gave us a great ride back via wind! Pizza was offered (as was cold water/pop).

Walter took us right back to the port (around 12:30pm) where we were able to shop before our cruise ship left (at 2:00pm).

As we were at our stops, I noticed some of the other places that I pondered on booking (I won't mention them here, but they are popular). I am sooooo glad that I didn't go with them and went with Sun Rays. They all had about 30-50 people on their tours while we looked like a family just enjoying the sights. I am not sure if it is because we went during the slow season (Early January), but either way - this was a trip I will never forget and plan to return to.

Just an FYI we were a family with 2 children (ages 10, and 11) and they also had a great time. The $70 per person we paid was waaaay worth it. I would've paid $120 pp for this experience.

Call them now!

3 Thank Lisa S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Northport, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Time !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

After researching the other tour companies I am GLAD I booked Sun Ray Tours. If you want a SMALL group, EXPERT crew, CLEAN boat, soft drinks and water INCLUDED, PLENTY of time at the sand bar to interact with the stingrays, a GUIDED snorkel tour of the barrier reef by Walter, who showed us more then you would on your own, and pictures you can download for FREE from their Facebook page, and SAIL back to the dock while they serve you PIZZA which is included. I WOULD highly recommend Sun Ray Tours. Thank you Capt. Loranzo and crew for a Great Time.

1 Thank lrswas
Lewes, Delaware
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Crew is amazing - knowledgeable and interested in you having a great trip and interacting with the stingrays”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Intimate trip we booked ourselves from the Internet - we were on the Norwegian pearl and the catamaran sting ray adventures they offered were panned on trip advisor So I went online and found the good reviews for Lorenzo and his crew. So glad I did. Amazing four hours sail in And stopping for a stingray encounter that was great. They even helped you with the rays and took pics and posted them for you to get the next day free . Great pizza lunch I board - small group of 14 on our trip not the 100 or more from the ships trip They picked us up at the tender dock and got us back two hours before without a hitch! A boat ride snorkeling time and an animal encounter! Don't forget to tip the crew / they deserve it!!!! Thanks all for great memories

1 Thank Loistheartist
Babylon, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed on Grand Cayman for a week and this was by far my favorite part of the trip. I would recommend going to Sting Ray City to everyone, and definitely using Sun Rays Tours. They picked us up at our hotel and drove us right to the docks. The catamaran that you take is beautiful and spotless. I have never seen a cleaner boat in my life. The staff is 4 italians that take such pride in their job. Capt. Lorenzo and his crew are just having fun and happy to be doing this as their job. First, you go on about a 50 minute boat ride to "sting ray city" which is a sandbar about 3-4 feet deep in the middle of the bay. The water is crystal clear and there are a lot of stingrays. As soon as you get in the water you will see that there is nothing to be afraid of. The staff educates you a little on the stingrays and makes you feel comfortable. They try to get everyone to hold a sting ray and take a picture of you and load it to their page for free. They also give you squid to feed the sting rays. After this, they bring you to a reef and do a guided snorkel tour. It was awesome. You get to see a lot of sea life, including fish, an eel, a conch shell and tons of pretty coral and rocks. They provide you with a vest (which you can blow up if needed), a snorkel, mask and flippers. You just basically float around and its so cool. You definitely have to be a moderate swimmer though because you have to float or tread water for about a half hour. But the water is so salty, it keeps you afloat very easily. A lot of the other boats we saw go out to sting ray city didnt do this snorkeling adventure after. Thats a shame, because this was the funnest part. After this, we sailed back and got pizza and drinks. The crew is really nice and the boat is beautiful. We were only on there with about 10-12 people, so it was not too crowded. I would absolutely not go to sting ray city with another company than Sun Rays Tours. Hopefully Ill be back on the island to do it again! If you have a water camera, it was great to bring! We got a lot of amazing pictures!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Blayne M
Minneapolis, Minnesota
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Stingray City tour was WONDERFUL!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic day! Started out with a lazy catamaran ride to the sandbar where we could interact with the stingrays. Helena was great as she explained what we'd expect when we'd get there. She did a great job making us all feel comfortable. Walter was fantastic as he led us on the snorkel tour. We saw eels, an array of fish, and so much more! Then, we got to Stingray City. While it was packed (nothing they could help), they were able to help get a few stingrays near us so we could feed them, pet them, hold them -- even kiss them! Then, we sailed back on the catamaran while enjoying pizza and refreshments. Plus, they took a ton of great photos that we were able to download for free via their Facebook page. There are many tours you can choose from to get to Stingray City, but I HIGHLY recommend these guys!

2 Thank bluestar2151