“Grand Cayman Jeep and Snorkel Tour”

Cayman Private Tours
Ranked #129 of 191 Tours in Grand Cayman
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I recently visited George Town, Grand Cayman Island on December 14, 2011 with Royal Caribbean’s Mariner of The Seas. The Mariner of The Seas is a great ship to cruise on. I will review the ship later, but for now I will tell you about my experience at George Town, Grand Cayman Island.
First Grand Cayman does not have a dock so you have to take large passenger boats to the shore. We booked an excursion through Royal Caribbean. It was called “Cayman Jeep Wrangler Adventure & Beach Snorkel”. I cannot recommend this excursion. In my opinion it lacked in content. We were bused from the passenger boats dock a few miles down the cost to a bar/restaurant where our excursion began. The open air restaurant/bar was nice and they had restrooms. We got in our Jeeps, that I was hoping were standard but were automatic. If I am going to drive a Jeep I would like standard, but no big deal. We went through some neighborhoods and then arrived at Hell, Grand Cayman. Hell is a gas station with some dead coral behind it. Really cool to look at, but you would think they would put a little more into the infrastructure around this attraction. Back to the Jeeps, and on to what I think was there version of a state park. We drove to a beach front at the park and learned a little history about the island and looked at the scenery for awhile. It was a nice place to take photos. Ok, back to the Jeeps and back to the bar/restaurant. We then had time to buy something to eat, sit on the beach or snorkel form the beach. The beach was nice and the water is very clear. I snorkeled for awhile and sat on the provided beach chairs.
I just expected more from the Jeep tour. The beach was great and the snorkeling was great, but skip the Jeep tour. I would recommend the Sting Ray Tour or the Catamaran Snorkel Tour. I have not done either one but I would expect that they would be great. It was so windy that they cancelled the Sting Ray Tour so we scrambled to the Jeep tour. Or, you could just take a taxie to seven mile beach where we ended up and save some money.

6  Thank drpepper421000
There are newer reviews for Cayman Private Tours

Reviewed September 12, 2011

If you've ever wanted to tour the deep sea without getting wet, LOL, this is the way to go. It was simply beautiful. The coral, fish, and entire adventure was really breathtaking. Totally in GOD"S COUNTRY down there. The tour guides were very friendly, informational and accommodating with questions. This is a great excursion.

3  Thank Tracey S
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Fantastic way to spend a few hours in Caymen! 3.5 hours...great experience, great boat ride, unique experience! Highly recommended.

1  Thank rachco
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Reasonable rates ($25 or $30 US/3 or 4 hrs) for snorkeling and swimming w/the stingrays. Picked up at our hotel on SMB; same spots as higher price tours. Great group of guys who run the tours. Highly recommend. Look for phone # in Explore available from your concierge. Christy, Peoria, IL

Reviewed June 29, 2011

This was my favorite part of the whole West Caribbean cruise my family and I went on. It was called the "Sting Ray City and Rum Point Tour" where we took a boat to the middle of the ocean where there was a crystal blue sandbar with wild stingrays everywhere....and then the guides hopped off the boats and had us surrounded with the rays!! They were swimming so close, one almost knocked me off my feet because it was trying to swim between my legs! I swear they're like underwater cats...anyway...once in a lifetime experience. I would recommend this to a family with older children or teenagers since these animals are wild (but gentle). Don't forget your underwater camera and sunscreen! Oh yeah..and the boat can get very rocky so bring those motion sickness pills too.

A nice stop at Rum Point (featured as one of the nicest beaches in some magazines) was perfect for lunchtime. Warning: You can pay in American dollars but they will give you back Cayman change (which serves as a nice souvenir anyway).

1  Thank ToastyHam