“Great history of the islands”
Review of Mission House

Mission House
Ranked #82 of 181 things to do in Grand Cayman
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mission HouseThe original home was utilized by early missionaries, teachers and by one of the oldest local families - the Watler’s. The original home destroyed in 2004 by Hurricane Ivan, has been carefully replicated. The site includes seasonal wetland, National Museum display, National Archive reading room, visitor center and gift shop. A peaceful family experience for all. Open: Tuesday to Saturday 9am to 5:30pm. Reservations encouraged. Admission: Adults CI$5 / Kids CI$2.50
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My family toured the Mission House on a Thursday in early June. We all enjoyed the tour, the knowledgeable guide and her mother. I like historical sites and tours and learning more about where we vacation, but everyone in the family (myself, my husband, and two sons, 17 and 20) enjoyed this visit. We all learned a lot and talked about things we learned throughout the rest of our visit. My 17-year-old son said it was "way more interesting than he was expecting." This site is well worth a visit.

2  Thank bcorwin

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

A must stop for history buffs, the staff at Mission House, especially Denise Bodden, are talkative and friendly. Learn about the three families of Mission House and their contributions to Cayman history.

Though the property is not as expansive or picturesque as Pedro St. James, the guided tour at Mission House more than makes up for it. Don't miss this important piece of Cayman's past.

2  Thank Hal T
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is a wonderful way to learn about the island, its early settlers, why it has some of the customs it has, etc. Please make a stop here, just to say you did something other than the beach! The lovely woman who took me on my tour is actually a descendant of one of the original island families. Plus, there's nothing she doesn't know about the place she calls home. Lots of good signage so that you can learn tons about the history of Grand Cayman Island.

2  Thank FemaleTraveler85
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Went to Mission House on the same day we went to Pedro St James. Although we'd been to Pedro St James before this was the first time at Mission House. We had the last tour of the day, and while I agree it is great to wander around somewhere by yourself, the personalised tour was informative and engaging. We had a 7 year old and 20 year old in our party, and the tour guide found lots of great ways to involve both of them as well as the adults - not an easy thing to do. Even let the 7 year old to have a go on the piano. Didn't get a chance to look round the gardens afterwards, but found the history and the family stories really charming. Lovely day and good to learn something - plenty of time to enjoy beaches on the other days!

1  Thank aliceblueLondon
See more reviews
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was a museum that I went to because it is something my girlfriend enjoys. However even she was disappointed, but for good reason. When we first got there, although there was someone in the building the door was locked, an hour after the building was supposed to open. This was despite the fact that she had seen us coming, so you would think that she would unlock the door before we got there. We tugged a few times at the door, before she finally came and unlocked it for us.
Although the brochures generally say guided tours on the hour, with as few people going to this as there are, if you walk in you will probably get your tour right away. It starts off with a 15 minute video presentation which was quite comical if you ask me. It was however intended to be that way in part to make it more enjoyable to children. This is where things kind of went downhill, but through no fault of the tour guide.

There is only one person, so while on a tour the front door get’s locked. If you arrive while there is a tour in progress it seems, you are out of luck. No sign saying back in ½ hour or anything like that. Our tour happened to last 1 ¼ hours which was longer than I think it was supposed to be. The biggest disappointment though is that this is guided tour only. There was a plethora of information to read on the walls, but you don’t really get any time to read it because the tour has to continue. My girlfriend would love to have gone back through, but when you are not on tour the whole house is locked.

From the explanation given by the tour guide it is partly due to a lack visitors and volunteers to man the place. Due to the history involved, and the risks presented they cannot just leave the facility open to people to just walk through on their own, although it seems to be something they would like to do. Again, we were the only people who went through this, and have no idea if there was anybody who tried to while the tour guide was taking us through. This could be so much more if they could get some additional funding, but it’s location for day visitors to the island is another challenge.