“Best adventure in Grand Cayman!”
Review of Stingray Sailing

Stingray Sailing
Ranked #6 of 188 Tours in Grand Cayman
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Remember when customer satisfaction came first? We do!! At Stingray Sailing, you will get to experience the main attraction in Cayman, swimming with the friendly Southern Stingrays, and you will get to do so with a company who's bottom line isn't a dollar sign. As a proud, family owned and operated business, we focus on getting to know our guests on a personal level, while at the same time, providing life long memories. With limited spaces, only 25 per tour available, you are guaranteed to be treated as a friend, not just a number. We offer relaxing tours done on board a beautiful, 43 foot sailing catamaran, to the world famous Stingray City Sandbar; and whether it is swimming with the stingrays, snorkeling the coral reef, or just enjoying the beautiful Caribbean sun and water, Stingray Sailing is committed to helping you make the best of your time in Grand Cayman. With daily tours scheduled to accommodate both cruise ship and on island guests, booking your tour is just a quick email or phone call away! Join our family, we look forward to having you on board!
SLC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best adventure in Grand Cayman!”
Reviewed June 12, 2009

Chip was very personable. We went in a small group of about 16 unlike the excursions through the ship that were like 50 people per boat. He had plenty of room so we could lay out. Small things like free fresh fruit to get rid of the salty taste from the ocean. He stopped the boat a few times to pull up a star fish and a sea potato so we could take some pictures with them. Explained what exactly we were doing to comfort those that were a little nervous. I am terrified of fish and i had an awesome time. If we would have enough time on the island the second day of our cruise we would have paid to do it again!!!

1 Thank tinkerbel73188

CT
“Just the best stringray tour on GC”
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We were there on May 20th. There was only about 10 of us on his boat. (I think his boat only hold around 20 people ) If you want a one on one experience with the rays this is the only tour to take. The owner of the boat made sure each of us could feed the rays and inter act with them. When we were leaving another tour boat came with about 50 people, I can't imagine that even half the people were able to experience the same wonderful unique experience. ( there are just not enough rays to go around) Thanks everyone at Stingray Sail
for the experience of a life time. ps. when you go ask Chip when he is going to start making tee shirts -- we want one

Reno, Nevada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Stingray sailing, clients come first!”
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I booked a reservation for my myself and mom, April 27th, after reading great reviews on tripadvisor. Michelle responded almost immediately to confirm our reservation and a second time to remind us about the time change. We were the only ship in town and the surge and waves were moderate. The cruise ship cancelled all of their water related excursions, including the stingray sandbar. We were the only 2 from the ship and he let us know that he may need to cancel. We picked up another couple in town and headed to the dock. (Yep, still did it with only 4 of us booked). His father, Burt, I believe, was 1st mate. Chip gave us a choice and said we could head out, but if the coast guard closed the bar, we would need to head back. He also stated, he would not charge us. Well, we took him up on the offer and as it turned out, we were the only group of 4 with about 20-30 very hungry rays. It was amazing to be out there with no other boats. After we left the bar, we went to another place to snorkel and then sailed back into the marina. Water was free and they had some delicious fruit for a snack. Beer and juice were optional to buy. Stingray Sailing went above and beyond to make sure we could get to see the rays. I would definitely use them again, cheaper than the ship with service from the pier, to dock and optional beach drop after the sailing.

1 Thank coffeehousegirl
New Hampshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Must Do in Grand Cayman”
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We were in Grand Cayman on April 21 with a Carnival Cruise and after researching online decided to book with Stingray Sailing for two adults and teen daughter. Prior to arriving we had emailed Michelle with questions and she always answered very quickly. When we arrived Chip was waiting for us with his stingray sailing sign making it very easy to find. That day there were about 15 people, which is extremely small compared to the other tours that were also at stingray city. We took a short ride (about ten minutes) over to the boat where we met Bert who would be driving the cat that day. Our first stop was the stingrays. At first they may seem a bit intimidating but they are actually pretty neat. Chip had a bucket of squid to feed the stingrays and he even helps you pick them up if you want to. That day there were a ton of other boats out there and ours probably had the fewest people. Some of the boats looked like they had about 70 people. We stayed with the rays for about 30 minutes then headed to the nearby snorkeling site. This was also a cool place, we saw a ton of fish, lobster, and an eel. And if you aren't a great swimmer make sure you use a vest. I tried going in without a vest but then changed my mind, and it's was definately more enjoyable with it on. So we stayed here another 30 minutes or so before sailing back. On the sail back Chip dove off the boat a few times and brought some small creatures back up to the boat for us to see. The rest of the time we just relaxed and ate some fruit. Chip also had water and beer onboard for everyone. When we got back to the van we had the option of going to port or to seven mile beach. We chose to go to the beach for a little while (it was awesome). Then we took a taxis back to port and did some shopping. We were very happy with this tour. It was far more personal than the cruise excursions for probably half the price. If you want to save some money but have an amazing day, you can't beat stingray sailing with Chip and Michelle.

1 Thank klp704
Olathe, KS
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely the best stingray city tour operator”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

I booked this tour (after lots of research) for my sister and I traveling with our 82 year-old mother on a Royal Carribean cruise. She really wanted to swim with the stingrays, and although I was worried about her climbing in and out of a catamaran, I decided Stingray Sailing looked like the best operation. It absolutely is! After booking online, I got an immediate reply from Michelle, the owner's wife, with complete directions and maps of where to meet the tour. Our cruise ship tendered us in and Chip (the owner) was waiting for us with a big sign. Believe it or not, we were the only three people signed up for that morning, so we had a private catamaran for three hours while all the rest of the crowds were crammed into cattle boats. We arrived at the sandbar before the rest of the people, and Chip had a bucket of squid for us, showed us how to feed the rays, and watched over my mother like she was his own. She had no trouble going down the two-step ladder into the water, which is only about 3 1/2 feet deep. It was truly the experience of a lifetime. The water was very calm, it was a gorgeous day (even Chip said it was really nice weather) and the catamaran was spotless and well-maintained.

The cat holds about 20 - 25 people so you can imagine how spacious it felt for the three of us. I cannot say enough about how professional and knowledgeable Chip is with regards to all the marine life - since we don't snorkel, he went into the water on our sail back and kept bringing up starfish and other sea life so we could get a close-up view. We stretched out in the hammock on the way back and just watched the world and the other sailing ships go by. This is definitely the best way to do Stingray City - I wish I could give more than an excellent rating for this tour.

1 Thank kimisings