“You have to take this tour when you are in Grand Cayman” 5 of 5 bubbles

Stingray Sailing
Ranked #5 of 181 Tours in Grand Cayman
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Remember when customer satisfaction came first? We do!! At Stingray Sailing, you will get to experience the main attraction in Cayman, swimming with the friendly Southern Stingrays, and you will get to do so with a company who's bottom line isn't a dollar sign. As a proud, family owned and operated business, we focus on getting to know our guests on a personal level, while at the same time, providing life long memories. With limited spaces, only 25 per tour available, you are guaranteed to be treated as a friend, not just a number. We offer relaxing tours done on board a beautiful, 43 foot sailing catamaran, to the world famous Stingray City Sandbar; and whether it is swimming with the stingrays, snorkeling the coral reef, or just enjoying the beautiful Caribbean sun and water, Stingray Sailing is committed to helping you make the best of your time in Grand Cayman. With daily tours scheduled to accommodate both cruise ship and on island guests, booking your tour is just a quick email or phone call away! Join our family, we look forward to having you on board!
Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You have to take this tour when you are in Grand Cayman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

This tour is really great. When you are in Grand Cayman (whatever by air or by ship), you got to take it. We took the tour this spring , 4/09. It's perfect for family or couple. either you are swimmer or not. The water, sandbar, and reef all are perfect.

We really like the ship. We made the order for the tour at stingraysailing.com. They are great. The ship is pretty cool. we really like those crew guys, pretty cool, professional, and friendly.

If you take the cruise, and plan to take the tour, it is cheaper to order at the stingraysailing.com than at the ship. There are many stingray city tour boats but we do like the boat of the Stingray Sailing. Anyway, I strongly recommend you take the tour and the boat from stingray sailing. It's easy to make the order (just email them).

1 Thank Cruiser098

maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best time in Grand Cayman”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2009

We went on a Carnival cruise in April and I decided to book our excursions myself rather than book through Carnival. The staff at Stingray sailing was outstanding! I received my info quickly and Michelle sent updates as needed. Finding the terminal to meet at was easy. The ride out was beautiful. The guys on the catamaran were so nice and took their time in making my youngest daughter (she is 9) comfortable with the stingrays. I liked the stingrays - it is a once in a lifetime experience, so just do it. We loved the snorkeling!! We were all first timers and had no problems. The water is so clear and you can't imagine how much you can see. I booked this excursion for my family of 5, kids ages 15, 12 & 9, also my mother and a friend. This was our favorite excursion by far!! The price was incredible for what we did. If I ever make it back to Grand Cayman I would book this same trip again.

3 Thank Maineneedthebeach
Yorktown, Va
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A great local adventure in the Cayman Islands”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I had emailed Michelle a few weeks prior to our arrival time and asked a few questions concerning the trip. She gave me great info concerning which day to snorkel & swim with the rays and which days had the most cruise ships. You want to avoid those busy cruise ship days. The price was great, it was a family owed boat and a small operation which appealed to the 8 of us. We especially enjoyed the slow sailing on a catamaran in lieu of a glass bottom boat.. Mark (the mate) and Chip (the owner and both locals) were very knowledgable of the area and enjoyed discussing the sea life with their customers. We had approx 21 folks on board which made it not crowded at all and much more personable. Mark was in charge of Stingray City and gave us much needed info on how to feed and interact with the rays while Chip headed up the snorkeling portion of the trip. Once we anchored at Stingray City, you could see the rays coming from everywhere, dinner time!!! The rays were very friendly and all wanted a mid afternoon snack of squid. This was truly a remarable experience for us. After snorkeling we headed back and Capt Ron, I mean Chip, dove down in front of the boat numerous times bringing up different species of sea life such as sea potatoes and star fish for us to touch and hold. We had a wonderful time and all my folks thanked me for picking such a great day and fine Cayman locals to make our vacation superb. I would definitely recommend Stingray Sailing.

3 Thank alanscott
Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great tour, very personable captain and crew.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2009

I research everything in detail before booking a tour, and had originally booked the stingray trip with Moby Dick's. Due to a small turnout that day, the few of us from the Moby Dick tour ended up joining the Stingray Sailing tour (owners of both tour companies are friends). For whatever reason I had not come across Stingray Sailing during my research, so didn't know what to expect. My wife and I were very impressed with the friendliness of the captain (Chip) and his dad (first mate). There were very interesting to talk to, and very knowledgeable about the island and stingrays.

We avoid the cattle call experience of ship-organized tours, and were really glad that we hooked up with Stingray Sailing. It felt like we were out sailing with a small group of friends, even though we had just met everyone. Don't pay attention to the one lady who scrapped her leg on a reef and gave a bad review - The ship was spotless and in great shape. We were offered excellent fresh fruit, water, and beer (the beer was $5, the rest was included).

I highly recommend this tour company, as you will come away with a great experience in a small group setting, personalized service, and feeling like you have a new friend in Grand Cayman. Chip and his dad are very friendly, and a great couple of guys to spend the day with.

3 Thank Smit-Dog
New Hampshire, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Family Sailing Excursion to the Stingrays in the Caymans!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

Arrived on April 30th, on the Freedom of the Seas. I booked a trip with Stingray Sailing online, with Michelle (co owner; who answered my many questions with patience and good humor). Their website was very informative and all reviews of the trip were positive. We called on our cell as we were tendered ashore (highly recommended and appreciated) to advise we were en route; we met Captain Chip at the pier and he drove us in a van to the docks (there were 16 passengers total and Chip and Bert as crew). The seas were rough and we motored out to the sandbar. As the bar was crowded, we went to an alternative site for snorkeling first. It was a little too rough for my kids (9, 8 and 5), so we did not get away from the stern of the catamaran, dubbed the "Far Tortuga," but the water is nice and clear; I think we were hamstrung by some decent wave action. We then went to the sandbar for our stingray encounter. This was amazing. The rays are large and will brush and in some cases, come up on you. They are looking for the squid, so they stay as long as the food holds out and Chip will lift them up for you, for photos and touching. The water is a little deep for younger kids, but this may have been more so due to the chop that day. Back aboard, Chip provided a complimentary fruit platter and water (beer and soda is available for purchase) and we hoisted sail for the ride to port. During the sail, Chip jumped over board and would return with starfish and urchins in hand; my daughters loved this (got plenty of photos) and they loved laying out on the front of the boat. The trip lasted about 3 hours but flew by in what seemed like an hour. I regret that the water was not calmer the day of our visit, but Chip and Bert were great hosts, the boat is well maintained and uncrowded (we had 16 aboard and plenty of sunbathing area; we saw motor trawlers out there that were packed to the gunwales), and the prices are very reasonable. I would highly recommend going with Stingray Sailing if you want to combine a visit to the rays and a relaxing sail (on one of the few uncrowded boats) when in the Caymans. If you go, tell Chip, Michelle and Bert hello for us and enjoy a memorable excursion.

4 Thank JohnnyPie