“Can't say enough good things about Captain Chip and his crew.”
Review of Stingray Sailing

Stingray Sailing
Ranked #7 of 192 Tours in Grand Cayman
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Remember when customer satisfaction came first? We do!! At Stingray Sailing, you will get to experience the main attraction in Cayman, swimming with the friendly Southern Stingrays, and you will get to do so with a company who's bottom line isn't a dollar sign. As a proud, family owned and operated business, we focus on getting to know our guests on a personal level, while at the same time, providing life long memories. With limited spaces, only 25 per tour available, you are guaranteed to be treated as a friend, not just a number. We offer relaxing tours done on board a beautiful, 43 foot sailing catamaran, to the world famous Stingray City Sandbar; and whether it is swimming with the stingrays, snorkeling the coral reef, or just enjoying the beautiful Caribbean sun and water, Stingray Sailing is committed to helping you make the best of your time in Grand Cayman. With daily tours scheduled to accommodate both cruise ship and on island guests, booking your tour is just a quick email or phone call away! Join our family, we look forward to having you on board!
Reviewed December 30, 2013

While planning our recent cruise, and upon realizing that Grand Cayman was one of the stops, I KNEW I had to swim with the stingrays. After much research and recommendations on this and other websites , I picked Captain Chip and Stingray Sailing for our December 19th excursion.

I couldn't have made a better decision this entire cruise.

Upon arrival at the port, it was very easy to find the sign for Stingray Sailing thanks to the great communication from Michelle at their office. Once we arrived, Chip introduced himself and explained the current situation. It was a windy day and all the companies that the cruise lines use had canceled their excursions for the day due to waves. He said he had been in communication with other captains that he knows and in his opinion, he didn't think it would be as bad everyone was saying and we could bow out at that point if we wanted to. There was no way I wasn't going to see this through and no one else in the group gave up at that point either.

After a nice drive to the yacht club, Capt. Chip went off to talk to a few others to get an update. At this point he came back and showed just why Stingray Sailing is a top-notch company. He gave everyone the option to head out and see how it is. If he deemed it too choppy and unsafe, we would turn around and come back. No charge.

If we made it out there and it was too much for any particular person and they stayed on the boat, no charge.

And away we went.

Chip took us to his fine vessel, the Far Tortuga and introduced us to his father who would be joining us today, the two of them with all of us totaled like 20 people. A beautiful boat, perfect for the ride ahead of us and flying under a pirate flag. It doesn't get any better than this.

The ride out was great, yes there were some waves but the Far Tortuga sliced through them like it was just another day. As we got closer to the sandbar, the rays started to swarm the boat. We were the only ones out here so apparently; they were a little excited to see breakfast arrive finally.

After dropping anchor, Captain Chip jumped in the water and checked it out. Floating on his back to check for currents and how the waves were. He brought a few of the more popular rays up to the stern of the boat for us to see then jumped on board to give us his professional opinion. The waves are a little rough, but nothing that someone who is a competent swimmer wouldn't be able to deal with.

That's all I needed to hear. I couldn't get my shirt and sunglasses off fast enough and then I jumped into the warm and shallow waters. Almost immediately, I found myself surrounded by these huge stingrays. Brushing up against your leg, coming up to your hands for food that Chip brought along. I couldn't have imagined it being any better than this.

At this point, my fiancé had jumped into the water and found the waves a little rough; she's 5'1" what can I say, but slugged it out for a few then got back into the boat. Now it was time for my 18-year-old daughter to jump in with me. I guided her over to the shallow area so that she could be around the rays and they were all over her. A few minuets and she was done so I helped her back to the boat and gave the fiancé a second chance. She was fine till 3 of the large ones surrounded her. That was it. She's done.

The whole time Captain Chip was explaining the names of some of the more friendly ones and some stories on how they got their names. At this point another boat had finally made it out PACKED with people.

We spent some more time with the rays and I ran the batteries in my underwater camera dead but got some amazing footage. We all got back on the Far Tortuga and headed back to port. The waves would just not allow for the snorkel stop, and I was perfectly ok with this. Free water and fruit were available for everyone with soda and beer available for purchase.

The ride back was filled with conversation among the people and the captain and his dad. How long they had been there. What each other does for a living, all while some guests were drinking a nice cold Cay beer (local beer, pretty good).

Upon getting back to the yacht club, Captain Chip once again said "This isn't the tour that we sold you so we are not going to charge you. If you had a good time, feel free to give us what you feel is good." A class act to be sure.

Having already paid for the whole tour ahead of time, and after having the time of my life. I was more than happy to just let them keep the total amount. It was an amazing experience that I will never forget.

If I'm ever back in Grand Cayman, you can bet I'll be sailing with Capt. Chip and the Far Tortuga again and I can't recommend him enough.

The girls can go shop or swim with dolphins or other girly things. ☺

Reviewed December 29, 2013

There were only 17 guests on our boat, as compared with 50-100 on the other other boats at the stingray sandbar. We had an amazing time feeding the rays and then snorkeling. Chip is deeply knowledgeable about the island and the environment. The snorkeling equipment was clean and in good condition. As a bonus, since we had time after the excursion, Kevin dropped us at the Public Beach instead of driving us back to the Port. Highly recommended!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Captain Chip and his Dad serve as the crew, along with Chip's lifelong friend, Mark who works as the photographer and Mark's son, a deckhand in training are simply good people. Unlike some of the other business, they offer a hotel pickup at no charge, and when they were running late, they had the courtesy to call the hotel and give us a heads up. The weather was iffy the day we went as it had been stormy and sunny all day long. We went on the afternoon run, as the morning sail was booked already. I was disappointed when we motored out to the sandbar, but was okay with it later, when Chip explained that he didn't raise the sails due to the questionable weather and the fact his jib had ripped earlier in the week and his sail repair lady was off island on Christmas vacation. We snorkeled first, but there was a really strong current and the seas were rough, and there was not much to see. Then we went to the sand bar and Chip taught us how to feed them, using fish, rather than the squid other boats use, as the fish is an actual natural part of their diet while squid are not. He was very gentle with them, and guided them to the surface and we were able to hold the rays. Apparently, there are five rays they regularly see, and two of them made an appearance yesterday. Mark took great shots and we ended up buying a CD from him. When we were pressed for time returning to dock later than expected, Chip's father gave us a lift in his car rather than riding on the bus, so we would make it on time for our next excursion that evening to the bioluminescent bay. Keep it up guys, well done!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had to have a catamaran tour. We chose Stingray Sailing after reading a ton of reviews on Trip Advisor. There were only about 14 of us on the tour. We relaxed on the trampoline in the front of the catamaran on the way to Sting Ray City. They took pictures of us with our own cameras so there was no high pressure sales pitch to buy their pictures. Gave us great advice on snorkeling with younger children. They cut up fresh pineapple and other fruit to snack on on the way back. Cold bottled water anytime we wanted it. It was everything we wanted and more. We loved it and highly recommend it to anyone.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I booked a trip with Stingray Sailing as a shore excursion at Cayman for our cruise trip with my parents. The wave was a bit rough that day and the captain made efforts to take us out to the water to check out the water condition. He jumped into the water himself and decided it was too rough to be an easy and enjoyable experience. The captain said this wasn't the type of tour they sell and said they are not going to charge us anything. But he still allowed us who feel comfortable swimming to get into the water and play with the rays. We didn't do the coral reef snorkeling part and sailed right back. But it was still a great experience and we had a great time. We didn't ask for refunding the deposit (they said we can if we want to) and paid them some more (less than the full amount) for taking us out. I would go with them again if I visit Cayman again.