“Randy's the BEST!”

Paradise Watersports
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled in the calm turquoise waters of Peter Island, we operate daily diving & snorkel trips along with private charters for island hopping. We offer a customized service catering to small groups, our expert staff have over 30 years experience in diving the majestic waters in & around the British Virgin Islands. We offer a wide range of Padi Dive courses & our day trips take in areas such as "The Baths", "The Indians" & Jost Van Dyke. We offer a professional yet relaxed service & are able to tailor make a package to suit your needs.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Randy is excellent at picking dive sites, managing skill levels in the group, and educating divers along the way. Our fist dive we were the only two, and he was very instructive and helpful for our first "blue water" dive. If you are not SCUBA certified, join them for an afternoon snorkel trip, Lindsey lead some great trips! Highly Recommended!

1  Thank Brandon Y
in 3 reviews
"island"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We started diving with Randy all the way back in 1982 and are still doing so. Located on Peter Island one takes the ferry over from Road Town (no charge for ferry if you mention that you are diving with Paradise Watersports). This gets you out across the Drake Channel where most of the best dive sites are anyhow. Randy really knows these waters, knows all the dive sites (and some great ones that the other dive operations never visit) and is a committed environmentalist who really cares a lot about the reefs. He is a terrific underwater guide, very patient (loves to find cool critters rather than just chase around trying to find a few big fish) and is VERY safety conscious.
They also go out with relatively few divers so you never feel like you are part of that herd mentality with a dozen or more idiots kicking off your mask or otherwise spoiling your dive. When we dove the Rhone it was Randy and three of us. We were the first on site due to Peter Island's proximity. While we there a big boat with over 15 divers and a dozen snorkeler showed up and than God we were near the end of our dive so they did not spoil it for us.
The off to coral gardens near Dead Man's Chest. We were the only ones there, on a weekend!

Simply terrific.

2  Thank mafarmerga
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had a great time here last fall. Was staying on Peter Island so Randy's shop was conveniently located. I am certified already so was able to get right into it with Randy. He set up all the gear, all I had to do was hop on the boat. We dove the painted walls and the Rhone (which was phenomenal!). Randy is very attentive and when he realized I was interested, made sure that he identified every creature from the smallest shrimp to the largest fish. He used this cool little slate board to write on underwater. The first time I ever dove was in Malaysia near Sipadan so I consider myself pretty spoiled and to be honest I wasn't expecting much from the dives in the area, but I was totally blown away.

The drawbacks are very few. It was a little more expensive than I was used to, but given I was on a private resort island and was diving pretty much 1 on 1 with Randy I can overlook that. One other note though - a professional photographer accompanied us. Careful with this guy. He told me at the beginning that he would be taking photos and would show me after. If I wanted them, I could buy them but that there was no pressure to do so. So after my final dive he gives me a preview of them and says he's gonna charge me like $100+ for them. I told him I dont want to spend that and that I dont want the photos. Then he goes off about how much work it was to retouch all these photos, how its his livelihood etc etc. Like buddy, I just wanted to go diving I never once told you I wanted photos. Honestly I was so close to telling him to go pound sand. I ended up buying a few photos but he was not happy.. My advice is to negotiate upfront if you are interested or tell him/Randy outright if you're not. I will say that the photos were very good quality so if you want the memory and dont care about the $ then go for it.

All in all great experience and I'd reccomend this to anyone.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed on Peter Island the last week of June and I had the opportunity to do three sets of dives with Randy and my wife and I also did two excursions (snorkeling and a full day on powerboat) with Mark. They get 5 stars in my book for not only being very professional and taking us to some very memorable spots (the Rhone and Painted Walls on the dives and The Baths, Willy-Ts, Soggy Dollar, etc on the tours) but also for being just all around great people (including Kat who ran the shop!). I would HIGHLY recommend their shop even if you are not staying on the island - my only regret is that I didn't get in a last dive day before we left (for example, on my dives Randy's boat would have 3 - 6 divers on it while other boats in the area had 3X that much). Also, if you get an opportunity to dive the Rhone with Armando - buy his pictures! Outstanding underwater photographer. Last note: the small powerboat is probably only good for calm seas - I would not suggest it for long hauls in rough water - and it is a new addition to their offerings so they're working out the kinks.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Randy caters his operation mainly towards divers who have already have their OW and wants to dive the BVI with him.

I indicated I'd like to get the OW certification. The cost is $525 for the whole course.

I was there for 5 days and this was what was able to be arranged for unplanned 3 days. Day by day planning are as follows:
1 confined session
1 swimming pool session
3 open water boat dives in the afternoons with 1 tank each (3 meaning 2 private sessions and 1 group session)
textbooks pak
all gears provided

Kat is an amazing instructor but for the cost of $525, I didn't get to complete my certification because Randy couldn't "fit me in" for the last dive during the last day since he has to keep the shop open (while Kat is the only one there). So instead I was charged $445 (not including tips) for 1 less dive instead for what was done above.

My dissatisfaction came from the fact that even though I indicated my intent of finishing my OW certification in 4 days and had relied on them to figure out the resources, they were not organized or flexible to help me achieve that. I ended up have to pay another agency to finish up the 1 last open water dive AND pay additional PADI certification fee to finish the OW certification.

If you are in the same position as me without OW certification, I recommend you go get your OW certification somewhere else in st thomas, USVI or tortola BVI for the cost of $250-$350 all included, and THEN come to peter island and dive with Randy if you want to dive here.

On the other hand, if you are staying at Peter Island Resort, Paradise Watersports provides you for free snorkels, wet suits and fins. So that's a good deal for you if you just want to snorkel on the island.