“Diving with Randy”

Paradise Watersports
More attraction details
Owner description: Nestled in the calm turquoise waters of Peter Island, we operate daily diving & snorkel trips along with private charters for island hopping. We offer a customized service catering to small groups, our expert staff have over 30 years experience in diving the majestic waters in & around the British Virgin Islands. We offer a wide range of Padi Dive courses & our day trips take in areas such as "The Baths", "The Indians" & Jost Van Dyke. We offer a professional yet relaxed service & are able to tailor make a package to suit your needs.
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Diving with Randy”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had a great time here last fall. Was staying on Peter Island so Randy's shop was conveniently located. I am certified already so was able to get right into it with Randy. He set up all the gear, all I had to do was hop on the boat. We dove the painted walls and the Rhone (which was phenomenal!). Randy is very attentive and when he realized I was interested, made sure that he identified every creature from the smallest shrimp to the largest fish. He used this cool little slate board to write on underwater. The first time I ever dove was in Malaysia near Sipadan so I consider myself pretty spoiled and to be honest I wasn't expecting much from the dives in the area, but I was totally blown away.

The drawbacks are very few. It was a little more expensive than I was used to, but given I was on a private resort island and was diving pretty much 1 on 1 with Randy I can overlook that. One other note though - a professional photographer accompanied us. Careful with this guy. He told me at the beginning that he would be taking photos and would show me after. If I wanted them, I could buy them but that there was no pressure to do so. So after my final dive he gives me a preview of them and says he's gonna charge me like $100+ for them. I told him I dont want to spend that and that I dont want the photos. Then he goes off about how much work it was to retouch all these photos, how its his livelihood etc etc. Like buddy, I just wanted to go diving I never once told you I wanted photos. Honestly I was so close to telling him to go pound sand. I ended up buying a few photos but he was not happy.. My advice is to negotiate upfront if you are interested or tell him/Randy outright if you're not. I will say that the photos were very good quality so if you want the memory and dont care about the $ then go for it.

All in all great experience and I'd reccomend this to anyone.

Visited September 2012

Denver, CO
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Top Notch Dive Shop”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My wife and I stayed on Peter Island the last week of June and I had the opportunity to do three sets of dives with Randy and my wife and I also did two excursions (snorkeling and a full day on powerboat) with Mark. They get 5 stars in my book for not only being very professional and taking us to some very memorable spots (the Rhone and Painted Walls on the dives and The Baths, Willy-Ts, Soggy Dollar, etc on the tours) but also for being just all around great people (including Kat who ran the shop!). I would HIGHLY recommend their shop even if you are not staying on the island - my only regret is that I didn't get in a last dive day before we left (for example, on my dives Randy's boat would have 3 - 6 divers on it while other boats in the area had 3X that much). Also, if you get an opportunity to dive the Rhone with Armando - buy his pictures! Outstanding underwater photographer. Last note: the small powerboat is probably only good for calm seas - I would not suggest it for long hauls in rough water - and it is a new addition to their offerings so they're working out the kinks.

Visited June 2011
new york
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“pricey for incomplete OW certification. dive with them if you're certified already”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Randy caters his operation mainly towards divers who have already have their OW and wants to dive the BVI with him.

I indicated I'd like to get the OW certification. The cost is $525 for the whole course.

I was there for 5 days and this was what was able to be arranged for unplanned 3 days. Day by day planning are as follows:
1 confined session
1 swimming pool session
3 open water boat dives in the afternoons with 1 tank each (3 meaning 2 private sessions and 1 group session)
textbooks pak
all gears provided

Kat is an amazing instructor but for the cost of $525, I didn't get to complete my certification because Randy couldn't "fit me in" for the last dive during the last day since he has to keep the shop open (while Kat is the only one there). So instead I was charged $445 (not including tips) for 1 less dive instead for what was done above.

My dissatisfaction came from the fact that even though I indicated my intent of finishing my OW certification in 4 days and had relied on them to figure out the resources, they were not organized or flexible to help me achieve that. I ended up have to pay another agency to finish up the 1 last open water dive AND pay additional PADI certification fee to finish the OW certification.

If you are in the same position as me without OW certification, I recommend you go get your OW certification somewhere else in st thomas, USVI or tortola BVI for the cost of $250-$350 all included, and THEN come to peter island and dive with Randy if you want to dive here.

On the other hand, if you are staying at Peter Island Resort, Paradise Watersports provides you for free snorkels, wet suits and fins. So that's a good deal for you if you just want to snorkel on the island.

Visited April 2011
Kirkland, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A really great dive operation”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I stayed at Peter Island resort in April, 2011, and dove three days with Randy and Mark of Paradise Watersports. Each of my six dives was wonderful - and Randy is as knowledgable a divemaster as anyone I've met. Knows the area completely (great briefing on the wreck of the Rhone) and finds and identifies all the creatures via the slate that's always with him. Relaxing, fun, safe - it's a shame you have to go to Peter Island to dive with him!

Visited April 2011