Peter Island Resort and Spa
Fort Burt Hotel(Road Town)
$99
  • Pool
$180
$245
$238
Hotels.com
Sea View Hotel(Road Town)
TripAdvisor
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsocean viewwhite bay beachhoneymoon beachbeach frontwine dinnerthe loopmain beachfrench toastvirgin gordameal planbeachfront suitebeach restaurantbar and grillpicnic lunchfood and beveragedive shopday trip
Reviewed June 7, 2005

We just returned from our vacation here where we had 2 adjoining Ocean front suites. The rooms were very nice and do actually look like the pictures, with stone walls, wood ceilings and ceramic tile floors, as well as a large (2 people) whirlpool tub, and 2 shower heads shower in the bathroom. Very spacious rooms.

You have to remember that when you go to the Carribean, everything works on "Island time" which is a much slower pace than most Americans are used to. If you want to enjoy your trip, you will have to check your "type A" personality at the airport that you depart from.

What makes this a World class resort? The grounds are meticulously maintained, with nightly grooming of all areas including the beaches. The food is excellent and abundant. The staff is friendly, but they are on "island time". Every effort is made to accommodate your wishes. We were traveling with our disabled son, so we particularly appreciated the sensitivity of the staff and extra efforts to help us enjoy our stay. The equipment provided for beach fun was in excellent condition and they make it hassle free to borrow whatever you need to make your stay enjoyable. They have loaner tennis rackets and balls as well, which was great since we accidentally left our rackets by our front door. You can have as much privacy as you want or mingle with other guests. If there are a lot of Amway people here, we didn't meet a single one or the people we met did not talk about that. The beach hammocks are very relaxing and you can get refreshments pretty much any time you want. Your room is "refreshed" twice a day so that any towels or sand that gets on the floor during the day is cleaned up before you return for the day. There is not an ounce of mildew in the rooms and anyone who has owned a beach property can understand how hard it is to keep things "dry". They kept our fridge stocked with drinks we wanted. There was nightly music and dancing for those so inclined. Efforts are made successfully to control wild animals and insects (for example, birds are fed near the restaurant so they won't bother the outside diners). It's the little details that make a resort world class.

What could make this 5 star, in my rating, rather than 4 star? Better quality bedding in the rooms. Expanded beach refreshment services. (They served people on the beach that were near to the restaurant only.) Providing "do not disturb" signs for the doors -- someone knocked on our door at 9:30 every morning wanting to clean. Yes, the room floors do make your feet dirty, but the "Islanders" seem to have a hard time understanding what to focus on when they clean and clearly mopping is not what they do best, although they did a great job of eliminating sand with a broom and vacuum.

What would expand their appeal as a resort? TVs in the rooms would help. I don't think they are trying to appeal to kids though.

Other comments: we didn't find the "boat visitors" to be a problem in general. They were in different parts of the resort for the most part. There is actually a separate beach for them to use. Being there with kids we did find some of the behaviors of the boat inhabitants to be inconsiderate, like sun bathing nude in our bay (yes, they were onboard their boat). You couldn't really see them from the beach, but our kids took a kayak out and got an eyefull. I also overheard "boat people" complaining that the resort was not very welcoming to them, but you can't stop people from whining and afterall, they aren't guests (I saw resort security chase a boater off the guest only beach). I asked at checkin, for fear that getting reservations might be difficult on weekends, and was told that only resort guests could get a table in their better restaurant during prime hours (seating at 7-8:30). There were children there under the age of 8 in spite of the policy that states otherhwise. They do enforce the dress codes, so dining was never unpleasant. Our younger son got a splinter in his foot and they had a nurse on staff remove it for him.

I would highly recommend this place if you want to go to a resort in the carribean. Personally, for a family vacation for us, I would say it was a bit low key and pricey which may be attributable to a weak dollar. However, I don't think we really needed the almost private beach that our rooms were on (I never saw more than 25 people on the beach at once, and most of the time it was more like 10) or food as fancy as they served. For a family of 4, we probably would have been equally happy with a place in Florida, although the kids might miss the snorkeling. I guess we were paying for an exclusive locale that probably wasn't as important to us as it may be to others. I'm just adding this for the readers consideration and it in no way reflects on this particular resort, but is just a general comment about going to the Carribean for a family vacation.

• Stayed: June 2005
32  Thank watchful1
Reviewed June 5, 2005

We spent the week of May 28, 2005 at Peter Island Resort. After doing a lot of reseach on where to go for an extra special trip my husband and I chose PIR. Most of the reviews we read were all excellent, yet a few were quite the opposite and had us concerned.

We have traveled to many islands in the Caribbean and have stayed at numerous resorts - nothing to date can compare to Peter Island Resort!! Where the negative reviews come from really concern me as we found not one thing wrong with our room, the food, drinks, beaches, pool, spa, resort grounds, employees. All is a 5 star PLUS more!

We loved the location of the ocean view rooms vs. the beachfront rooms. If you would like a full review of this resort please feel free to email me as I dont want to take up that much room on Trip Advisor, yet I am happy to share with you.

22  Thank SuzyQue
Southlake, Texas
Reviewed June 5, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a week stay at Peter Island. Here's what we think:

We stayed in a Beachfront Junior Suite and really enjoyed it. Had a great view, plenty of room and the A/C worked great. We had a couple of insects show up and one small lizard, but it really was not big deal. The room was within walking distance to everything, beach, food, etc. We were on the second floor and I highly recommend you request that for your stay if you want a superior view. The resort had a gift for us waiting on the bed, and also some champagne and a personal note from the manager congratulating us on our 4 year anniversary.

Deadman's Beach, the main beach is very nice. The beach is not rocky and the sand is very soft, and it is very well maintained and was not at all crowded. You can use any of the equipment there also, float rafts, kayaks, windsurfing, etc.

We had no problems with yachters or their children, in fact security was very tight in kicking them off the beach if they tried to come on. There is a beach they can use, called Little Deadman's, and they were sent there. Really this was never an issue for us.

There were some kids there that were guests with their parents. We asked about this to the manager at the cocktail reception they had, and we were told that children are not encouraged, but not discouraged either.

On our anniversary, we had a private dinner on the beach and the resort fixed a special dessert for my wife and I that I had requested. Also, they made a very nice arrangement of flowers from the island and put it on the table. We had preordered our meal, so all we had to do was sit there and eat it. It was very special- Jenefer, one of the resorts managers, was spectacular in handling the details and they did everything right. I highly recommend you do this!

We did meet some Amway people (a man and wife) and they were very nice and were there on an incentive trip. Not a problem at all, they were successful people there to relax.

The pool is great and the bar is very close if you just want to stay by the pool and drink tropical drinks. The pool has a couple of canopies so there is some shade too.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all very nice. Lunch is at Deadman's restaurant, which is less formal than the Tradewinds restaurant in the evening. Tradewinds has an area in the back that is air conditioned. We got a little hot a couple of nights at dinner, but when they open the doors and the breeze comes through, it's not uncomfortable. Just make sure they open the doors if you are sitting where it's not A/C. Deadman's is not A/C at all, completely open air. Most evenings there was a band playing, steel drums, etc.

Most people we saw daily from the staff took the time to learn our names.

Snorkelling was best on White Bay- There is a guided tour you can go on also that the Dive Shop takes you on.

The island is much larger than you would imagine and very hilly.

The workout facility was nice enough and big enough for as much time as you may spend there.

We didn't go to the Spa, but it is a very pretty facility.

We took the island tour and I would recommend it for some of the photos you can get. There's no extra cost.

We went on Honeymoon Beach one day for a different view. Once again, very private and beautiful water.

We did tour one of the Villas, and it would be nice for a family of 4 if you want to spend the money. In 2 of the 3 bathrooms, there is only one sink.

Email with any questions- It was really a fantastic trip-

• Stayed: May 2005
29  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed May 27, 2005

Unless something tragic has happened to Peter Island in the past year, I can not imagine anyone really having a complaint unless they tried really, really hard to find one. It's simply beautiful, clean and well worth the price. I searched high and low to find a vacation for my wife and I last summer, and could not possibly have been any happier with my choice.

• Stayed: July 2004
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 3, 2005

We were at Peter Island a few months ago and had a very nice, relaxing time. The beaches were some of the best we have experienced, and the service and food were quite good.

Stayed: December 2004