“Loved Peter Island”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Peter Island
Chicago, Illinois
“Loved Peter Island”
Reviewed October 9, 2004

My husband and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on Peter Island (Oct. 2004). Our stay was wonderful, relaxing and soothing to the soul.

ISLAND/RESORT: Hilly, lush, beautiful landscaping all around the resort (lots of different flower varieties). There's a luxury feeling to the resort without the stuffiness. At night, the resort is beautifully lit. There's just enough light to see where you're going and give you that romantic feel of the night.

STAFF: Wonderful.

RESTAURANTS: There are 2. During our stay, Tradewinds (near the pool/lobby area) offered breakfast daily and dinner on certain nights. Dinner at Tradewinds is a dressier affair (meaning no shorts, no flip-flops, etc...). Deadman's Beach Bar & Grill offered lunch daily and dinner on the nights Tradewinds was closed. Dinner at the Beach & Bar Grill is a more casual affair (meaning you can wear shorts, flip-flops, etc...).

FOOD: Wonderful.

ROOM: We were in a 1st floor Oceanview room of a 2-story cottage. Our lovely room was spacious with a King size bed and a sitting area with 2 rattan chairs and ottomans. The sitting area opens to a terrace with 2 chairs/table and 2 lounge chairs. The small bathroom was a disappointment. I had read a review stating that bathrooms in the Oceanview rooms are "motel-like". I have to agree that the bathtub was definitely that. Plain white tile with long cracks in several places, obvious fixes done with grout, rust on one side of the tube. We were really surprised that a resort of that quality would have bathrooms like this.

The Oceanview rooms have tiled floors, AC, fan, mini-fridge, safe, radio/clock/cd player and telephone (no TVs). Those rooms are near the Marina, the lobby, the pool, the Tradewinds restaurant and the library (which has a TV).
The Beachfront cottages are a 5-minute walk from the lobby up a hill. Those cottages are on Deadman's Beach and near the Deadman's Beach Bar & Grill (which is further down the road).

BEACHES: Deadman's Beach is the main beach and is just gorgeous. It is lined with palm trees, thatched umbrellas, lounge chairs and hammocks.
Little Deadman's Bay is just as beautiful, just smaller.
Honeymoon Beach is further up and down a hill. I didn't see it but my husband walked to it. He said there was "not much to write home about". It's small and there was construction equipment near it so it was unsightly.

White Bay & Beach is on the North side of the island. We thought it was just an okay beach. If the sun was behind a cloud, the water turned completely dark and unappealing. When the sun came out, the water turned a beautiful blue. Very weird. We had never seen that before. You can snorkel there but we didn't. Another couple who did told us they didn't see much. We went there in the morning and the resort brought us lunch at Noon. That was nice.

SPA: It's still till not done! We were told it will be done in about 2 months. It looked 75% done to us. Looks like it will be fabulous with a view of Big Reef Bay & Beach (not a swimming beach). You can still get massages but I didn't have one because I had my mind set on using the new spa.

SUNSET LOOP: The resort offers sunset viewing every day from the Northwest side of the island. The resort dropped us off at 5:30pm and picked us up at 6:30pm. We had a complimentary cheese plate as well as drinks. Unfortunately, it was a cloudy evening. It was still a nice thing to do and the view was breathtaking nonetheless.

ISLAND TOUR: The resort offers complimentary tour of the island twice a day (11am & 3pm) in a van. Our tour took 45 minutes. It's a great opportunity to take scenic pictures.

FYI: We didn't see any of the yachters that previous reviews mentioned. Maybe it was the time of the year. There was barely anyone at the resort. Loved that!

There's construction going on the island (the spa and some villas), but it's away from the rooms so it's not really a disturbance. The 2 times we heard the construction noise was once by the pool and once on the very end of Deadman's Beach.

I don't know if the time of the year had anything to do with it, but there was a strong wind during our stay. Really nice on hot days, could be a bit much at times.

If mosquitoes love you, they will adore you on Peter Island. I think I have about oh 20 bites or so... My husband has one! So bring your bug repellent. The resort leaves bug repellent spray in the room but it has a really strong lemoney smell to it which means that's the perfume you'll be wearing ladies!

The spa not being done and the look of our bathroom prevent us from giving this resort a perfect rating. The trip was still wonderful and we would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed October 2004
10 Thank MrsTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Reviewed October 2, 2004

Fabulous views of the surrounding islands.
Food well prepared and presented.
Despite being told that the new spa was open, we found this to be untrue. This is unacceptable in that we chose Peter Island partly because of the spa.
We loved dining at Tradewinds, but found the service to be very slow and inconsistant.
Would certainly reccommend this resort but only when the spa is open.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed September 30, 2004

My husband and I spent a week at Peter Island for in July 2004. It was our second visit, the first being in 1999. We loved Peter Island both times, and plan to return. I agree with the other reviewers re: the wonderful staff. Rather than repeat all the previous compliments, I'll just say we second them.
I would like to mention a problem, though, in hopes the resort management will take note and try to correct it. The "boaters" are beginning to overrun the place. And every boat seemed to be filled with kids. Though the resort itself discourages children, there were so many at the beach every day, that policy seemed a moot point. On one occasion, a "boater" family with two young children came to the pool and the parents took over a couple of lounge chairs while the kids snorkeled in the pool. Despite signs stating that this area and the pool were for guests only, these people assumed (correctly) that no one would say anything. Several hotel employees walked by and eyed the kids as if they knew they were not guests and shouldn't be there, but not one of them approached the parents and asked them to please respect the resort's policies. I felt it was really their place to "police" this, not mine, and it was frustrating. And to top it off, when these people finally left they stole the hotel towels they had taken from the basket by the pool.
Peter Island seems to be almost the only top notch resort left in the Carribbean that doesn't cater to children. This is a big part of the reason we vacation there. I hope management will address this problem swiftly.

5 Thank FGM-VA
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 17, 2004

We just returned from Peter Island 3 days ago and I can say without hesitation that it was the most enjoyable, relaxing trip we have ever taken. The staff and the resort are incredible. Our Beachfront room was amazing, the food is great and everything on the island is cleaned and maintained daily. We were treated like royalty. It's not a place to go for nightlife and clubbing, it is total relaxation and luxury. The beaches are beautiful and peaceful. Spending the day at White Bay with a picnic lunch was one of the highlights of our trip. The snorkeling on every beach is amazing, and I highly recommend a trip to Norman Island for snorkeling the caves. To all the staff, my husband and I say a great thank you for everything. We will hopefully get to go back some day, but to us it won't be soon enough.

4 Thank Kelly T
Lawndale, California
Reviewed September 13, 2004

In a few words: SERVICE: Outstanding
FOOD: Outstanding STAFF: Excellent
HOUSEKEEPING: Excellent
BEACH: A dream BUT: There is not privacy
with so many boaters around, taking away
your place on the beach leaving all their trash in the sand
and placing their dinghies all over the beach.
Management should consider a solution to this
problem. These boaters come in for a few drinks
at the beach, at sunset they come back to their
boats, anchored a few yards from the beach,
to return in the morning. Please stop this.
This a matter of guests vs. free loader intruders.
Our last visit July 2004.

3 Thank rymbilbao
Reviewed August 22, 2004

Peter Island far exceeded our expectations! Everything was perfect. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was great, the room was nice, and the island was INCREDIBLE! We took a day trip to Virgin Gorda which was fun, but we could not wait to get back to PI!

Deadman's Bay was gorgeous. We felt like we had the beach to ourselves and actually when we went there at night we usually did!

There is not much in the way of nightlife, but we were there on our honeymoon so that is what we wanted.

There are some poor reviews here on this site. Perhaps there were problems in the past. If there were, they have been fixed or never really existed. Everything was top notch when we went.

I have to dig deep to find complaints about this place. The only complaints I have are that people ignored the literature about this place which discourages children and the visiting yachtsmen were sometimes not as considerate as they should have been. Neither were things the resort could directly control.

Wish I could afford to go back right away!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 17, 2004

If a relaxed atmosphere, with incredible service, amazing food, friendly staff, and luxurious accomodations is what you are looking for. STOP here. My husband and I looked at every single possible destination in the Carribean, and decided this was the one for us for our honeymoon. We definately made the right decision. We wanted one of those places that you can plop down right on the beach, and feel as though you are the only two people there. We wanted the secluded Island feel. We also wanted something to do, when we felt like moving. The only other place we considered, Petit St. Vincent, had no activities at all, and so we opted to at least have the option to do something if we wanted, like travel to St. Thomas for the day, or the Baths at Virgin Gorda. (Note, we did neither because we couldn't imagine being happier than we were at Peter Island).
From the second we arrived, which was after a very long journey, we were greated with a warm smile, and news that since they had heard of our long trip, they decided to upgrade us. All I can say is, it is definately worth it, and the Beach Front Suites are the way to go. They are so lovely, and the bathroom was incredible. It is great being able to sleep with the doors open and smell the ocean.
The food was out of this world. I think we each gained about 5 lbs. while we were there, and all I can suggest is, order EVERYTHING. The Sat. Night Carribean Buffet is especially amazing.
The beaches are impecable, and so is the water. It is warm, clearer than any I have ever seen, and perfect in every way. I suggest taking a day trip to White Bay with the picknick. They drop you off with nothing but a radio and your towls for the day, and you call them on the radio when you want to come back. The Snorkeling is great on that side of the island, and if you are lucky you'll be the only ones there. (Real Blue Lagoon Feel).
They will deliver whatever you need if you call it in.
I also suggest the sunset trip. They deliver you to the top of the island with wine and cheese and fruit to watch the sunset. It was among the most incredible experiences I've ever had.
So-I could go on for hours and hours about how great this place is, but just know this. I'm very picky when it comes to hotels. and even though Travel and Leisure gave it their number 4 in the Carribean in their most recent 2004 annual Worlds Best issue, I was still skeptical. All I can say now is, I bet when I travel to the Carribean for the rest of my life, we won't even consider another Island other than Peters. It has everything you could possibly looking for.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#7 of 25 in Tortola
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
#1 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Peter Island Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!