Anegada Reef Hotel
TripAdvisor
Guana Island(Guana Island)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewslobsterfeet in the sandbirthday weekendoutdoor barthe staff are super friendlyhurricane seasondinner on the beachfamily stylebeach frontlawrencevivianbeachessunsetislandbvidocksail
Reviewed July 13, 2014

I'm writing a very late review but my husband and I LOVE this hotel for so many reasons. We have been going to Anegada for 11 years and we always stay at the ARH. We love everything about it. Lately we have been staying in the deluxe rooms. My sister has been accompanying in recent years and has stayed in a traditional ocean view room those rooms are beautiful in their clean simplicity.

I can't begin to describe Anegada. When you get off the ferry from roadtown your blood pressure takes a nosedive. Local people greet you like family. The owners of the ARH are amazing, so hospitable and welcoming and if you are lucky enough to be a return customer you really do feel like you are home.

The ARH faces the channel and the other BVI'S and the most desirable beaches are on the ore sides of the island. However, nothing beats sunset at the ARH - the pleasant trickle of hungry sailors motoring in on their dinghies, the day fishermen arriving at the docks with their catch, and the local cast of characters arriving at the tiki bar. This is the Caribbean like it used to be.

The owners and the staff make us feel special when we're here and we're sure that anyone would have equally wonderful experience. Don't hesitate to request anything special that you would like to de because they will do everything to accommodate you. They know everything and everybody and they'll get you where you need to be.

ARH - we'll see you in March!!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are wonderful but the traditional rooms are great too.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adeliamisskitty
Reviewed May 22, 2014

The Anegada Reef hotel was just fine for the purpose, the location within walking distance of the ferry dock was great and we could walk on the beach to all of the restaurants in the area. The only downside to the room was there are only windows on the front so no cross breeze. The air conditioning unit was located in the patio seating and blew hot air so made it uncomfortable out there. The owner was extremely nice as we're the staff. You can't swim in front go the hotel, in fact you have to take a taxi or rent a bike to the two beaches. The bike was fun although the road was hard packed sand. If I come back to this island I will probably choose to stay at Neptunes Treasure where Pam's Kitchen had a great bakery and there were happy hour beers for 2$. It looked a bit nicer with front porches for each room and a nice lawn.

Room Tip: They are all the same
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank suzycruzsc
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This is a wonderful place to dock eat some dinner walk on the beaches east some great food. Your expectations should be a clean room, nice staff, AC and not much more; but thats all you need on this property on this Island.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Our too-short stay at the Anegada Reef Hotel was a relaxing delight. You can go on line to see the island…It is beautiful and low key: the ocean, beaches, ponds, solitude -- not the place to come for casinos, loud music, tour directors, etc. We walked, read, snorkeled, rode bikes,looked for birds, relaxed in the hammock and read. The food at the hotel is excellent: simply prepared and eaten on tables right at water's edge.

But the real treat here is Vivian who, with her late husband, founded the hotel and now runs it with her adult children. The hospitality they show is stupendous. She is a fount of knowledge and ever available to help you figure out the best way ….whatever. And all with the accent of her native England which she left decades ago to come to Anegada.

We wanted to go birding. In a community of under 200 folks everyone knows everyone else. And she went out of her way to find a friend of hers who knows birds and happily took us around the island. This was not a commercial deal (we insisted on paying for the time and expertise). Our connections back to US Virgins got messed up. She called pilots, captains of boats, hotels in Tortola--- patiently helped us figure out alternatives and make arrangements. (We changed our minds a few times….sorry!)

I agree with other writers: I am conflicted. I want to keep Anegada and the hotel unspoiled, known by only a small number of people. But, if you are the type who likes low-key beauty, relaxation and the company of warm, helpful people -- this is a treasure to visit.
---
PS There is internet access near the main building and a large screen tv in a covered area outside. I didn't have to give up seeing Canada beat the US in hockey!

PPS Did I say that people don't lock their doors there?

PPS Did I say that people don't lock their doors there?

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SLRS5
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I do hesitate to even write a review of Anegada Reef because of a desire to keep the place a secret, but the hotel and the island are what everyone hopes for when they consider a Caribbean vacation. The hotel is simple, clean and comfortable, and if you are looking for a pool, spa and wild nightlife this may not be the place, but it is the intangibles that make this place something special...... Million dollar views, miles of untrampled white powder beaches and absolutely the nicest people I have had the opportunity to meet on any Caribbean island I've travelled to (most all of them). Vivian and Lorraine and their staff make everyone feel at home and go out of their way to meet just about any request you might have from car rentals to restaurant reservations, nature tours and fishing trips. And the food is absolutely outstanding....served in the simplest but most elegant outdoor dining space I've had the opportunity to encounter. And you just never know who you might run into during pre-dinner happy hour at the bar.... And while the after dinner nightlife is low-key, there is usually something going on at one of the beachside restaurants to keep one's interest if so inclined.

As mentioned by everyone, it's possible to walk the beaches for miles and not run into another soul. The best snorkeling is somewhat limited to Loblolly Bay and Flash of Beauty beach, but is some of the best walk-in snorkeling in the BVIs. The bone fishing is solid with a lot of shots at good fish and our guide, Garfield Faulkner was one of the best spotters and generally nice guys I've had the pleasure of fishing with...

It's hard to say enough about how pleasant the stay was at Anegada Reef. It's simply all the amenities that money can't buy that make this place special....

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple