“Friendliest people I've ever met”
Review of Anegada Reef Hotel

Anegada Reef Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Anegada
“Friendliest people I've ever met”
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

On a recent trip to Anegada, a friend said I should stay at the reef motel. Upon arrival, I was greeted by nothing but smiles and "good afternoons". The entire staff at the hotel was helpful, from the bartender to the handyman to the gardener.
All I can say is that I will definitely be making my way back to Anegada and to the reef hotel, and that the lobster on the beach was amazing

• Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
tennessee
Reviewed January 6, 2013

when we sailed into Anegada, we begin to feel that this was a special place. on shore we are greeted by wonderful people of the Anegada Reef Hotel. they ask how many lobsters for dinner so they could go out to freshly harvest our main course. took a car to Jacks Bay for lunch at Bamba, over to Lobolly Bay for a spectacular & swim, then to CowWreck Bay for cocktails at the "honor" bar. only in the islands. saw the Pink Flamingos at a distance. back to the sailboat, dinner at Anegada Reef Hotel and YES, the best lobster in the world. I will be back to Anegada, next time might not leave........

Room Tip: we stayed on the sailboat, however people who stayed there were very pleased
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank family457
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We loved the lobster!!!! Simply delicious!
The sunset is also very nice:)

However, do not rent a car through the hotel. They order from Stefanie Faulkner a car. We got a shabby old car with a broken exhaustion pipe. After 5 miles the tire blew... They delivered 45 min later another car that had broken windows, but at least the tires worked... We believe they rent out the private cars of their employees as the second car was delivered by a lady with two kids and we found a used fork and other personal stuff in the car...

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Timinguy
St. Lucia
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Anegada Reef is the best resort on this little Island. It caters for persons who just want a quiet laid back vacation to persons who want a funfilled vacation. For Adventurous Sea lovers, you can go deep sea fishing or snorkeling. For nature lovers like myself, you can engage in bird watching and end the evening with a long beach combing and walking, searching for that unique seashell. If you're there with that special someone, you can take a long moonlight walk on that secluded beach which makes you feel like you're on your own private beach...imagine the things you and your lover can do under the moonlight. My best experience was having the option to dine on the beach feeling the sand between my toes.....ohhhhh what an evening.

The rooms were immaculate, water presure and temperature was just perfect.Great customer service from warm and friendly staff who's always eager to go beyond their call of duty to exceed guest expectations. I love this place and will definitely visit again. I was on the PERFECT VACATION....Thank you Anegada Reef for such exceptional vacation. Special Thank you to the staff who extended such heartfelt spirit of hospitality.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anthia B
Caribbean Key, FL
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I have been all over this big blue marble of a world, but I have never visited a place as remote, secluded and exotic as beautiful, heartwarming and indescribably friendly ANEGADA. This tiny gem of an island, in the British Virgin Islands of the northeast Caribbean, is so REMOTE that it makes Moorea, west of Tahiti in the South Pacific, seem like GRAND CENTRAL. Anegada reminds me of the Iron Butterfly classic-rock song called "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida," which goes something like this: "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida, baby, don't you know that I love you. In-a-Gadda-da-Vida, honey, don't you know that I'll always be true . . ." Of course, what Ron Bushy, the Iron Butterfly's vocalist, was talking about was: "In the Garden of Eden, baby, don't you know that I love you." And Anegada IS the Garden of Eden. As for getting to this unbelievably remote gem of an island, I recommend taking the ferryboat out of Tortola, the BVI's "capital" island. Flying in to Anegada would entail getting onto a tiny plane and braving the airstrip, which CAN be done. As for coming into Anegada on a sailboat, catamaran or fishing launch, that CAN be done too, but be advised that the reefs around Anegada are studded with more than 300 shipwrecks from over the centuries of sailing on the Old Spanish Main. These wrecks make for a paradise for scuba divers. The schools of exotically colored fish make for a heaven for snorkelers. The island's protective white-coral reefs are untouched and they shield Anegada from big sharks. The Anegada Reef Hotel, at Setting Point, is the most convenient location on the island, just a football-field's length away from the ferry dock. Say hi to Garfield, the brave barge captain who supplies most of the island. He is ONE COOL DUDE. Anegada is only 22 feet tall at its highest point, so you won't even SEE the island until you are almost RIGHT ON TOP OF IT. The extremely low-lying island is supremely prone to earthquakes, hurricanes and tsunamis. Pray that none of those things happen while you are there. But don;t worry, I went there at the height of hurricane season, and nothing happened. From the air, much of the island looks like the surface of the moon, pockmarked with mysterious craters and completely void of vegetation, but don't let this fool you. The most desirable areas are lush with greenery, such as the strange, shady, multiple-trunked banyan trees, and the salt pond in the middle of Anegada even features an elusive flock of exotic pink flamingos. They all like to stand on one leg, in a picturesque way. When you check into the Anegada Reef Hotel on this strange, weird, but somehow appealing island (about 30 square miles), you will be greeted by Mrs. Wheatley, whose daunting husband founded the hotel from scratch (he, lamentably, died a few years ago in a work-related accident). Mrs. Wheatley and her equally friendly sister, Lorraine, now run the little hotel very expertly. The Anegada Reef is a favorite of the area's doughty yachties and veteran fishermen, who will be glad to take you on day trips or fishing expeditions, so you can haul in some of Anegada's amazing fighting fish, such as tarpon or marlin. Not that you have to catch your own -- because the Reef hotel's restaurant serves up some of the finest seafood (the lobsters, shrimp and swordfish are EXCELLENT) in the WORLD. Lawrence Wheatley, brother of the two sisters, will entertain you with riveting nighttime tales of the Caribbean at the Anegada Reef bar, which is the world's FRIENDLIEST BAR, in my opinion. The bar is well-stocked, and believe it or not, it runs on the HONOR system, when it is not staffed in the morning or early afternoon (just mix your own drinks and sign for them). The WORLD-CLASS seafood and steaks are barbecued nightly inside former oil drums placed next to the bar and the small dock on the beach. The morning rainbows and evening sunsets and moonrises are simply FANTASTIC. The dinner, served on fine china on little white tables on the beach, is illuminated by romantic candlelight and exotic tiki torches. You will think you are OUTTA THIS WORLD. It is so PEACEFUL and FRIENDLY that you will think you landed in HEAVEN. The adjoining gift shop sells excellent, colorful, unique Anegada T-shirts and muu-muus. The courtyard has a lovely garden with the most refreshing, peaceful, shady hammock that I have ever laid in. My wife Becky and I brought along our little calico kitty, Tabitha, and she was welcomed by the staff and management as being an equally honored member of the family. And THIS is the feel that you get at the Anegada Reef -- that you have been welcomed to the island as long-lost members of their family. YOU ARE TRULY LOVED and even TREASURED! You will routinely make many lifelong friends. This goes not just for this particular hotel, but for the WHOLE ISLAND. Anegadans are the friendliest people that we have ever encountered. The Reef's few rooms are spare, spartan, and, yet, welcoming and cool. The air conditioning works very well. You won't need (or even want) a TV or a phone, and there aren't any in the rooms. But your bed will be comfortable, your night will be peaceful, and you will have no worries. Anegada has only 150 people, NO CRIME, and your hotel-room door won't even have a lock (if you have any worries about valuables, then just leave them with the Wheatleys -- your precious stuff will be SAFE with them). While on Anegada, please DO NOT MISS the UNRIVALED swimming in the crystal-clear waters of the BEST BEACH IN THE WORLD, the amazing LOBLOLLY BAY, with its cool, snow-white sand, across the island from the Anegada Reef. After lounging in the shady ramadas and hammocks and swimming at Loblolly, be sure to eat lunch or dinner at the BIG BAMBOO RESTAURANT at Loblolly Bay -- it features great service and fantastic food. Also don't miss the delicious breakfast at NEPTUNE'S TREASURE, and the Christmas-light-illuminated dinner at the FISH TRAP RESTAURANT, where, in hurricane season, you MIGHT HAVE THE WHOLE ROMANTIC RESTAURANT ALL TO YOURSELVES. On the other side of the island is the fantastic COW WRECK BAR on still another TYPICALLY LOVELY Anegada beach. When we were at Cow Wreck, they were filming a BVI Tourism commercial there, complete with a lovely bikini model and her angelic blonde daughter. While at Cow Wreck, don't forget to bring back a big, pink conch shell as a keepsake. Explore the strange, abandoned castles in the rain forest on the way to POMATO POINT. The Anegada Reef Hotel has no swimmable beach, per se, but there are plenty of great, supercool taxi drivers who will be glad to take you to the fantastic beaches around the island, for a reasonable fee (try Mitch or Gus-Gus, although the lovable Gus tends to like his Coors Light a little too much). ANEGADA is Mother Earth without any CARES or WORRIES. There are no traffic problems, crime, hustles or other hassles of so-called "civilization," although there are plenty of simple amenities and creature comforts. The pace is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. Braving the cruel elements of Mother Nature makes the islanders stick together, and Anegada's remoteness makes Anegadans extra FRIENDLY and NICE. When our week's stay regrettably had to come to an end, my wife Becky and I were so forlorn that we just stared at each other in anguish AND BEGAN TO CRY UNCONTROLLABLY. We just desperately DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE. We even looked around for apartments to rent, but the island is British, so we could not get our Social Security money there (if we COULD have, we WOULD STILL BE LIVING THERE TO THIS DAY). Please go. You won't regret it. You will treasure your stay forever in your fond memories. This account is entirely sincere. We have no reason to be anything but candid about it. ANEGADA is like no other place in the world, because no other place in the world is as pleasing to your mind, body and soul as Anegada is. Take our word for it. Like the rest of the Caribbean, the Anegada Reef is a bit pricey, but it can be a BARGAIN in the off-season (June through October). Ask the Wheatleys about their nifty hurricane-season specials.

Room Tip: Any room will do. The front rooms face the garden and ocean. Don't worry about the lock-free doo...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MarkOchs
Road Town, Tortola
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is a lovely spot with wonderful, obliging folks looking after you. If you want a peaceful place to relax in a rustic setting this is a great choice. Dinner (you have to order in advance which actually works out rather well) was really well cooked and the setting was great. My only concern is that the rooms are really starting to show signs of serious wear and tear. (The rattan is unravelling, and paint worn off, my shower rod was band-aided with black electrical tape, floor tiles are cracked). If this not addressed soon the spiral from rustic to just shabby will continue and much of the current charm lost. I hope not.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank marcus w
New York
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting Anegada for 10 years and we went there again in March. We brought my sister who needed a vacation from her business in California. She's been to Anegada and loved it. My husband and I wanted a little luxury so we booked one of the recently renovated deluxe oceanfront room at the Anegada Reef Hotel. We booked a garden view room for my sister, and we had an amazing time! My sister lived in Puerto Rico for 20 years so she loved the Caribbean simplicity of her room and our room was a dream. When they did the renovation, they kept the original space but put in beautiful bathrooms. We recently stayed at Little Dix Bay in Virgin Gorda and our Anegada room was just as wonderful as the one we had at Little Dix Bay. In Anegada things are, of course, less glamorous and they don't have the staff that they do in fancy places but that's part of why we go there. Our room was wonderful. These new luxury rooms are hand-crafted - the shower tiles are gorgeous and not slippery, the sink is vast with a marble counter top and the toilet is enclosed and it always works. The room is air conditioned. The hotel has its own generator so when the power goes off on the island there is no problem at the hotel. The room has beautiful glass doors with an AMAZING view!!! There were beautiful bushes with colorful flowers right outside our unit and every morning we would pull the curtains aside and just lie and stare out the windows at the gorgeous turqoise ocean, the sail boats and fishing boats (and the fishermen going out to catch dinner) and dock, and the humming birds right outside our room! There were dozens of them. This was so romantic and beautiful. The bed was very comfortable and we had a refrigerator in our room and it was just wonderful. As I mentioned the ARH doesn't have the big staff that some of the big resorts have but their staff is absolutely wonderful as are the owners, Lorraine and Lawrence Wheatley. They are incredibly friendly and they always tell us how they miss us when we're not there. We have been greeted at the ferry dock with the words "Welcome home" (Keith Smith). And then there's the dinners! Every evening at about 5:00 they light fires in the big drums that they use as barbecue grills and proceed to prepare all the wonderful dinner items: Caribbean lobster, freshly caught fish, steaks, ribs, chicken, wonderful lamb, etc. Then at 6:30 cocktail hour starts and the "tiki-bar" and finally at 7:30 you go to your assigned table and kick your shoes off and wiggle your toes in the sand and they start serving dinner. They really take care of you. You get dinner rolls, salad, a vegetable, rice or potatoe, and then the main course. And - they have a great wine list! Their most expensive wines are about $40 and we ordered different wines every night and were never disappointed. (We had a bottle of Champaign the first night and it was wonderful.) Thank you Lorraine, Lawrence and Vivian for your wine list! After dinner we would go to my sister's room patio and gaze at the stars in the beautiful garden (and my husband would smoke a Cuban cigar once we made sure there weren't many people around). Daytime: We spent all our days at the amazing amazing beaches, mostly at Cow Wreck Beach Bar and Grill and Loblolly. Both beaches so beautiful that they are unreal and you can get a great lunch at both. When you visit those beaches it's always a good idea to take beach walks because we found an amazing spot where the water was shallow way out to where the ocean hit the reef and we just went out and sat on the sandy bottom an it was very spa-like. In sum Anegada is an amazing nature experience and the Anegada Reef Hotel provided us with gorgeous luxurious room and we had an amazing time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Adeliamisskitty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anegada
Anegada Beach Club
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Mango Bay Resort
Mango Bay Resort
#2 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Anegada Reef Hotel? Share your experiences!