“Paradise!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Sound
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Paradise!”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Just got back from a week in heaven, otherwise known as Virgin Gorda's BEYC. The room was super-comfy, the staff was friendly and helpful (especially the watersports folks) and the location can't be beat. The food was delicious and plentiful.

Having said that, here are a few things to keep in mind if you are planning a trip:

1. There are two types of rooms - the more expensive and less expensive. I would HIGHLY recommend spending the money to get one on the better side. We stayed one night on the "cheap" side in a somewhat ugly room with a broken bathroom door and a toilet that barely flushed. It was also located 243 steps up from the main area. Then we moved to the "good" side and the room was a million times better. We only knew the difference because my husband and child had been to BEYC in the past. SPEND THE MONEY. Also, the stairs to the "good" rooms are much more manageable and the views are wonderful.

2. Virgin Gorda is incredibly relaxed, lovely and perfect in my opinion. HOWEVER, if you're looking for non-stop entertainment this is NOT the place for you. There are a million things to use to play in the water during the day and the beach is fine but not the most incredible spot ever. At night there are movies for kids and exactly one bar to hang out in. It's a place to play at in the day and then relax at night. Oh, and there aren't any TVs in the room (thank goodness if you ask me) but some highly plugged in folks might be horrified.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CousinElmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 2, 2011

This was our first trip to the BEYC to stay on the premises - we usually sail and stop there for dinner. This vacation exceeded all expectations. We absolutly loved the villa, food, service, pool, beaches...and of course sailing! The watersports staff were fantastic - actually, all staff were just wonderful. Tracy at kid's camp was super. It was so sad to say goodbye -- but we will be back next year!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Lemont, Illinois
Reviewed February 11, 2011

I have never written a review after our travels, but when I checked BEYC after our recent vacation there, I had to b/c I don't get it. My wife and I have spent a week there(after Christmas) for the last 6 years--the last three including our 6yr. old son. We're in the fortunate position to consider other destinations of the same price range, but we keep coming back since the overall package of what you get can't be beat. We always stay in the beach cottages built into the hillside on the SOUTH end, as compared to the few on the north end which are indeed older and dated (and priced accordingly). The views of the water are breathtaking from inside the room b/c of the large windows. The private deck off each room has a couple pieces of furniture and a LARGE hammock (wonderful place for morning coffee or to chill at the end of the day before dinner). No air conditioning--don't want it, don't need it. We keep the sliding doors open ALL THE TIME (you literally fall asleep to the lapping waves on the beach)

The meals are great. The open buffet at all meals is so complete and well done, we usually stick to that, but the menu selections are very tempting and when we have ordered, the preparation/presentation has been superior. The wait staff is friendly and attentive. The restaurant on the water is totally "open" to the outside and you can't take your eyes from the view of the sailboats/yachts in the Sound.

This is a sailors/water enthusiast destination with an emphasis on FUN. My observation is that there is a fair amount of repeat guests form all over the world- most are well traveled, friendly and unpretentious (not unheard of to bump into a movie star or pro athlete at the desert table). The sail staff is made up of "twenty somethings" who know what they are doing with water craft, but keep it fun. There were others there like me who wanted to try new things like windsurfing and sailing, and the staff never made us feel uncomfortable or ill-at-ease from our inexperience. Of course, no charge for any of there services or craft. A fun thing is to take a whaler out with a boxed lunch that they can make for you and find a empty beach on an adjacent island. They don't have a gym with treadmills or free weights (thank god!), but there is a cool hiking trail that climbs to the top of the "mountain" that BE is built into, and from there you see the nearby islands (including Branson's Necker Island next door) About an hour hike; just enough to curb the quilt you may get from eating the meals.

Lastly, there have always been a handful of kids there when we visited, but not many. Our 6 yr. old has always been able to hook up with at least one child of like age which was a treat (for both him and us). We put him in the kids camp in the morning and/or afternoon session--amazing how kids can make friends so quickly even if they don't speak the same language. Tracy who runs the camp is incredible- a college girl with a personality made for the job. The kids are never too far off --we spied on them the first couple days then we knew we could relax.

This is a very special place to spend time with family or friends. Everything right at your disposal-no need for a watch or wallet (And no, NO tipping expected). If you can't afford your Necker Island at $48K/day, this is an excellent alternative. Enjoy!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Great location. One rather major problem - the resort recycles its "effluent" as "gray water". Meaning it takes sewage, mixes it with water and uses the mixture to water the grounds. This is common practice on golf courses, etc. The problem at the Bitter End is that fresh water is scarce, they cannot use seawater, so the gray water is more brown than gray. With predictable results - the hillside by the villas we stayed in reeked of you-know-what. The dampness in turn created a mosquito infestation. Not a happy combination; which pretty much put the stink on a week in paradise. We left after two nights.

One nit - the DJ at the dockside bar managed to spin them well into the wee hours. And this sound carried up the hill to all the rooms. Not too relaxing.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ChipTex
Winter Park
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Wow, I was stunned by the negative review from the people who visited from New York City on Dec. 17, 2010. I even asked the manager about it after I arrived, it was such an uncharacteristically negative review. The manager told me that a termite infestation was indeed discovered in the New Yorkers' older (and less expensive) North Sound Suites room, which was immediately treated. It was just a very unfortunate, isolated incident, but in the tropics, bugs are hard to keep at bay, especially in wood structures. I requested a beachside cottage, newly renovated and gorgeous. As you can see from the dozens of positive reviews, most people LOVE Bitter End, it has practically a cult following, and I went back for my third visit recently myself. I should point out that Bitter End is really like 2 resorts, because the rooms at the north end of the mile of shoreline are very different from the rooms at the south end. The older North Sound Suites are located at the south end, and are not generally as nice (and they are priced more economically too for that reason) as the cottages at the south end, which are newly renovated. Some of the cottages now have air conditioning, although the breezes really are lovely, and the waves lapping the shore lull you to sleep at night. Nothing beats lolling in your hammock overlooking the turquoise sea, watching all those kite boarders and sailers out on the bay. Bitter End is truly a get away from it all tropical paradise, with the best water sports in the Caribbean, that I will return to again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank JanetLee
Portsmouth, RI
Reviewed January 12, 2011

One of the best vacations I have ever had. My son is 6 and husband is very active and I like a bit of comfort- we are a tough family mix and BEYC nailed it!

After a weary day of traveling, from the first check in moment- the staff was fantastic-always PRESENT, I am in hospitality and have very high expectations-they were all met! Our room was very clean and the furnishings tasteful...the view over the sound was beautiful and the ammentites were exactly what was needed- nice robes, Ting in the fridge, good ice and nice clean thick white towels.
After a busy day Stand Up Paddling and snorkeling and sailing (yes-all 3 in one day-the watersports staff make this fun and effortless to do!), we three had wet/sandy/salty everything and I loved coming back to my room after dinner to a tidy and thoughtful turndown service.
I was a bit skeptical about the food, our last 2 vacations had been to Atlantis, and they have a few very fine restaurants...well, the fresh marmalade, fresh baked breads-and tasty wahoo fish -the BEYC tarter sauce is wow- I loved the ease of the meals-buffets were well laid out well and offered many things- hearts of palm salad one day, pumpkin soup, great fresh salads and my son ate 4 kinds of fruit daily!
The kids camp for my son opened his world up to snorkeling, scavenger hunts on the beach and -Stacy ran it safely, with a huge smile and managed to win over even the shy children.
We hiked, swam, sailed, snorkeled, ate, laughed and sometimes we sat on the very clean beach in the afternoon and watched our son discovering new friends and a new appreciation for nature.
When you glance over at your husband and he has the best smile on his face and he glances back at you without saying word- but you know he is thinking-"this is just what we needed"-that is a fantastic vacation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mrs_vB_11
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 17, 2010

We spent three nights at the BEYC last March - We would have left sooner but all the other hotels were full. Our room, on the AC side, was worse than a Motel 6. We were stunned and horrified by the condition when we checked in. There were small piles of sand in all the corners that we later found out was from all the bugs digging their way out when the lights went off. There were many varieties and they were large. I am not talking about a few tropical bugs. I am talking about roaches and other things. (We travel to the Caribbean often and understand what normal bugs are) (There was lizard crap all over too. But we get that.)

The refrigerator was disgusting, our balcony door window was filthy, the chairs on the deck had broken slats. There was not one towel hook to hang a towel, The tiles in the bathroom were falling off to expose the dirt and bugs underneath. It was like a slum.

The beach did not have enough chairs for all the guests there. We had to walk to the far end of the resort to get a chair. Most of the beachfront had TONS of seagrass and it was impossible to swim there. Only one small stretch had a sandy bottom.

The food was fine, the service was actually quite good. The workers were all very friendly and helpful.

We chose the resort so that the whole family could learn to sail and in particular we went for the "teen sailing lessons" they advertised. I called the resort directly twice before booking and again before arrival to confirm they were offering this course. I also called their main office to ensure it would be offered. I was told they had it every week as long as teens were there. (It was spring break so I knew there would be teens.) When i checked in i inquired again. They told me "yes, we have that" check with the guy in sailing. He told me they had not offered that course IN YEARS.

Likewise I went down to the scheduled morning walk. Nobody showed up. Finally i went to find someone to see what was going on, they gave me a map and sent me off on my own.

The front desk was "kind enough" to let us leave (we paid for a week). The kicker was they told us they would happily "take us to our next destination". Doesnt that mean free transfer to you? Well we waited three hours for our taxi ferry and they slapped us with another bill for the transfers. If they would have told me that I would have arranged my own transfer much earlier to GET OUT of the BITTER END. It really was BITTER.

The sad thing is the concept of the resort is great. The boats and activities are great. Even the staff is lovely, and the food is fine. The rooms and beach are atrocious. I am surprised they are open for business.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Sebastian's on the Beach
Sebastian's on the Beach
#1 of 13 in Road Town
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!