All reviews bitter end water sports watersports staff kids camp snorkeling trips virgin gorda the key lime pie lobster main restaurant our honeymoon prickly pear island beef island airport biras creek can't wait to go back the general manager overlooking the water mary jo
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Bitter End Yacht Club. I gave it 5 stars for the type of vacation that was. It is not at all like a stay at the Ritz Carlton but that is not what we were looking for. We wanted a true island experience and that's what we got. The Bitter End is very relaxing and laid back. The Beachfront Bungalows are casually elegant with wood and tile. I loved the decorations and the way the entire room opened up to the ocean breeze. The shower even opens up to the outdoors. The view from our room was gorgeous. We had one side for the kids and one for us, connected through the porch and this worked out perfectly. I would say that May can be quite hot and humid especially when your trying to sleep so we may opt for air next time. I don't think the rooms with air had quite the view we did so I hope that they expand the air option to include the bungalow where we stayed before our next trip.

The staff are always eager to help and are quite friendly. This includes everyone from the cleaning staff to the water sports staff. By the end of the week they knew us by name. We had so much fun learning to sail. We also enjoyed taking the Boston Whaler out and spending the day on other nearby islands with a picnic lunch. On most days we had the entire beach on these islands to ourselves. Snorkeling right from the beach was fun as were the planned excursions with the resort. There was always something to do.

The food was good for an all-inclusive. There was always plenty and there were several themed parties throughout the week that were fun with the resorts own steel band. I also had one of the best massages that I have ever had there. All in all we had a great time and are planning a return trip.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ddwj
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Have just read the review prior to this one and can't believe how mean-spirited it is. For us the BEYC was perfect - lovely room (beach front villa with no a/c but the most amazing views over Saba Rock, big ceiling fans and very good ventilation system so that we were never too hot) which was about a five min walk to the restaurant.sailing facilities. Not an issue when that 5 min walk is along a palm-strewn beach (there are also frequent "taxis" bumbling around so you can almost always hitch a ride if you need to. The water sports staff were brilliant, especially with the children during the regattas, letting them be part of the race committee out in the bay to watch their parents make fools of themselves. There were frequent day trips, and two shorter snorkelling trips each day, none of which were oversubscribed. The specific point made below regards tipping I would repudiate totally. We were expressly told when we checked in that no tipping was required, and not once did we feel that any of the wait staff was hovering for a tip at the end of the meal. They were always really kind, helpful with odd requests and helped make the whole holiday completely relaxing. I hope anyone reading the review below this one takes it with an enormous pinch of salt.
The only things I can think of that was a little lacking (but was pretty irrelevant to our stay) was the "fitness circuit", which needs a bit of refreshment).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank louisvuitton
Reviewed August 11, 2010

As the previous review noted, the staff is very lazy and expected tips after every meal (even though tips are included in all-inclusive package). One time we came back to our room and the housekeeper was resting in our hammock. Another time the housekeeper came by and we told her to come back - she replied curtly "Do you know I have to go to the other end of the island now?" The bartenders' favorite drinks are the ones that are "pre-mixed" so they don't have to make a drink. Happy hour is 75 cents off a 7 dollar beer! What a joke.

Everything is buffett - including the drinks (except your dinner entree). So if you want a glass of iced tea, you have to get your butt up to get it yourself. When you sit on the beach, do not expect a waiter to come by and take a drink order, even though there are plenty of staff sitting around with nothing to do.

We went to another resort nearby and the service blew away Bitter End. I asked why the Bitter End service was so shoddy and the hotel manager gave me a good (but biased) explanation. Basically, Bitter End still thinks they are living in 1999 when customer service did not matter. They were printing money for several years and the guests kept coming back. Now the the economy has been on the skids, the Bitter End refuses to adjust and attract new clients. They are totally relying on the old breed. This is obvious because they had a special night dedicated to returning guests. The resort was also less than half full. We will never go back unless they change. When you save over $5k to take a big trip, you don't expect to "rough it."

We were also put in a room with no breeze and no A/C. We asked to move and they said we could move "for $100 extra a day." Considering the resort was LESS THAN HALF FULL, they should have accommodated us and provided either a room with a breeze or a room with A/C. It's difficult to sleep when you are lying in a pool of sweat.

On the other hand, the watersports are excellent and the equipment is in great shape. In my opinion, the ONLY reason to go to the Bitter End is for the watersports. The service, food and rooms are simply lousy.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank arizonatea1011
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I'd visited this in the '90s when I was 16 as part of the Sail Caribbean 3-week program. I loved the outdoor movies! I wanted to take my husband to see how great the place was. I had mixed feelings the second time. We paid for the air-conditioned room, which was not much more for the nice cool air. Many reviews told us the breeze was fine and to go without, but for people who have even mild Carrib allergies, or trouble sleeping in new places, it is so worth the little bit more for AC. Plus you have more privacy that way. We hiked over to the other rooms and they were quite far from central activities, so AC rooms are better for location too. We had a great view of Saba Rock. Other than that, we had a decent time but having been on other all-inclusive vacations I have to say Bitter End is kind of nickel-and-dime-y. The waitstaff expected ot be tipped after each meal as opposed to at the end of the week. For an all-inclusive that's pretty obnoxious. The British activities staff was unhelpful and it was like pulling teeth to get them to give info on scheduling what you wanted to do (we didn't do much because it was so discouraging to deal with them). We did visit the Baths on one of the limited days offered, but were told we might not be able to go since they overbooked. Finally they deployed another boat but both had people packed like sardines to and fro. Also took the ''booze cruise'' which was interesting for the ride. Would have enjoyed hearing some tips on local info as we went but the driver was busy hitting on teenage blonde bimbos drinking all the ''punch.'' The clientelle was very preppy-bourgeois-potterybarn-soccermom type, which we can't stand--people who had cleary been nowhere else outside the USA in their lives, but were making a great pretense of trying to act like they were Rockafellers. The clientelle is actually the main reason we would not return. I acted like that when I was in a sorority, but then I grew up, so as an adult with my adult husband, we prefer to find and meet diverse and interesting worldly people. Wish Bitter End would diversify their ad campaign, and tell the waitstaff to wait until the end of the week for one big tip rather than getting an attitude all week long over a dollar here and there for every single meal. I will end this on a positive note: the hiking trail was long, fairly difficult for the humidity and lack of hiking boots, and a great workout. The outdoor theater had decent movies for light laughs and neat ambiance (but spray some ant killer please). The key lime pie is AWESOME and we ate some every night! The rooms ROCK in style and comfort!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Boombafam
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Having over the years visited and/or stayed at most of the upscale BVI resorts, BEYC is just the most fitting, even in the quiet low season - and not only for yatchsmen! Relaxed and welcoming, efficient service, knowledgeable and very friendly staff from many of the neighbouring islands nations with lots of stories to tell (without ever being intrusive). Rooms are more than fine and housekeeping careful. Attentive and available management. Extensive tasty food offer, great affordable cocktails and marvellous sights, with lots to do on Virgin Gorda, including cool diving & snorkling (even swam with a dolphin!).
In short, superb value for your bucks.
Thank you!