“Best sailing resort in the world?”

Bitter End Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Sound
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Best sailing resort in the world?”
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Well I havent been to them all, but having stayed three times at BEYC, I have stopped looking. It has the feel of a sailing club, relaxed, friendly and loads to do.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Harleysville, PA
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I spent 5 nights here, after spending 4 nights at Mango Bay, where we had basically relaxed on the beach for a few days. We thought mixing up that, with all of the activities available at Bitter End would be a good mix, and it was. We aren't sailors (if you are, I imagine Bitter End is nirvana) but stayed here because of all their daily snorkel excursions, as well as the free access to their dingyys, which enable you to go and explore on your own. Our room had a fantastic view - partially of Saba Rock and the open ocean, where every afternoon at two, we were able to watch the kite surfers from our porch. Make sure if you don't like to walk far, to let them know you would like a room closer to the main restaurant. We only had a 5 minute walk, but after you've done that back and forth 10 times each day, I was glad we weren't in some of the rooms which were even further away from the main area. The staff are all amazingly nice and helpful, obviously well trained. We were on the package which included all meals which of course meant we ate way more than normal, but the food was very good, and lots of selections especially on the buffet nites. The rooms are really fantastic, if you like the style - I felt like I was in a really well appointed tree house...if you just want a place to sit on the beach this probably isn't the best choice, as the swimming 'areas' I didn't think were that hot. However if you like to take trips to snorkel in a lot of different spots,eat great food, stay in a unique place, this is definitely a place to consider.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank harleysvillesue
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed September 20, 2009

It's a task to get to, but once you get there, there are no TVs, no phones; only the sound of the sea and the breeze. The people we met, both staff and vistors, were friendly and a joy to be around. I don't go to resorts to be entertained, I go to get away, relax and enjoy the local atomosphere. We enjoyed daily snorkeling trips and hanging out by the beach. The teenagers probably preferred more activity but had fun during the day and spent time at the pub dancing, and playing pool and dominos. The rooms had spectacular views of the setting sun. Everything was clean. The rooms were very nice, and we had access to sailboats, snorkeling and swimming. The pool and beach is small relative to bigger resorts; however, you could go to mini beaches near the resort and get away from people, or you could take whalers to other beaches in the sound if you didn't want to stay on the island. We had great trips to the Baths and Anegada.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank djs1995
San Francisco
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My whole family loved this resort. My 13 & 15 year olds loved the sailing, snorkeling and they even learned to scuba. My 8 year old was happy sailing with my husband, building sand castles, swimming in the pool and his favorite time was outdoor movie night right after dinner. The staff was friendly and the food was great. It was great to have our family completely unplugged and everyone seemed content.
Tip: We flew into St Thomas and had a captain with a powerboat from Sea & Ski take us to Virgin Gorda. For a family of five it doesn't cost much more then other modes of transportation and so much more fun snorkeling and stopping for lunch.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Metromum
Los Angeles, Ca
Reviewed August 3, 2009

First things first, make sure you check out my short video of the sights at BEYC and around Virgin Gorda.
My wife and I just returned from a fantastic trip to Virgin Gorda and BEYC (July 2009). This trip we were looking for a vacation full of water activities and excursions, which is exactly what we got. Yet even more impressive were the rooms and great views we enjoyed every day. The wrap around balconies were definately the best part of Bitter End. Each morning began with a coffee ritual after waking up to the sounds of a breeze whispering through the trees, while singing birds and rolling surf from the distant reef seranaded us to start another day. The evenings were spent the same way, although the coffe was replaced by a cold beer and rum punch and a setting sun.
The resort itself was very clean and the staff was great. Running a close second behind the fantastic views were the excursions (included with the Admirals plan). Although we are not sailors we enjoyed cruising the North Sound in our small boston wahler (also included), and joined many of the excursions including, super snorkel, Anageda, sunset sail, and a sail to The Baths. All were fun and included food and, of course Rum Punch. If you take the Anegada trip, be prepared for a whole day (probably my least favorite). I also did 2 days of diving, (Extra) and highly recommend a day at the RMS Rhone.
I f your looking for big sandy beaches with lots of swimming and snorkeling off the resort than BEYC wouldn't be my first choice, but there's plenty of swimming and snorkeling on the excursions and around the nearby islands. Believe me there's PLENTY to do. The nightlife was mellow, but we did go in slow season so the resort was not very crowded, which was perfect for us. Also, we had a room with no AC but were fine our windows/ sliders were never closed and it actually enhanced the stay giving us the feeling of sleeping outside. The resort leaves you with the feelin of visiting a small cozy village as oppossed to a mega resort.
MY FAVORITES:
FAVORITE SPOT: Hammock on balcony
FAVORITE FOOD: Pumpkin soup with Johnny Cakes
FAVORITE HIKE: Guys trail
FAVORITE EXCURSION: Super snorkel and (Diving the Rhone)
FAVORITE STAFF: Guy from "Yacht Shots"

Again, check out my short video tribute.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BeachKing1
Connecticut
Reviewed June 15, 2009

The Bitter End Yacht Club is amazing and helped to make our honeymoon a wonderful memory we will cherish forever. There is so much to explore in the British Virgin Islands and all of it can be accessed from the Bitter End. Between the scheduled group trips to various places to being able to rent a boat for a day to expolore yourself, the Bitter End gives you the means to see all of the BVI.
The people were top notch and accomodations were perfect.
THANK YOU BEYC!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
CT
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We went there for our honeymoon..Top Notch was a phenomenol time. Food was great, staff was great. recreation there was off the charts.. All around a wonderful relaxing enjoyable vacation! Cant go wrong !

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Peter Island

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!