Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Great vacation very enjoyable”

Bitter End Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Sound
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We went there for our honeymoon..Top Notch was a phenomenol time. Food was great, staff was great. recreation there was off the charts.. All around a wonderful relaxing enjoyable vacation! Cant go wrong !

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bitter End Yacht Club

Reviewed June 15, 2009

An absolute gem of an island/resort. Five star activities, accomodations, service, etc. We plan on going back this coming winter.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2009

The Bitter End is a sailors paradise but resort guests should be aware that they are only part of the people that they will share the facilities with. The Bitter End was designed as a destination for those sailing or chartering in the Caribbean. Also cruise ships now come into the harbor and run continual launches into the resort. The resort property has been maintained well and part of the units have been updated. The dining room food is very good but we found the menus more limited than during previous visits however this could be because of the economy and low guest reservations. Room rates have always been very standard even through internet booking services but we found some guests that we talked to had found wonderful discounts. Check thoroughly before you book. Water sports staff is great and equipment is in very good condition. All in all well worth a return trip.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FL2007
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Just returned from five nights at the Bitter End Yacht Club in Virgin Gorda, BVI. It was a first class family resort that had all the amenities, including perhaps the finest watersports program anywhere in the world. While the resort did not have the all-out luxury that you will find at the Four Season's Resorts or those of a similar ilk, Bitter End offered everything you'll need and with a more understated luxury.

The Premium Beachfront Rooms were worth the small extra cost. They were closer to the resorts main activities (dining, shopping, watersports, dock) and recently remodeled. The rooms were large and airy with a wrap-around deck with hammock, king bed and stone shower with a view of the sea. All of the rooms at Bitter End have beautiful views. The ones with the best views, however, have the highest climb (ours was 75 steps), so be forewarned if you are not able to climb stairs.

The resort has over 100 boats for the complimentary use of guests. Most of these are sailboats, but there are ten Boston Whaler dinghies with a small outboard for those that are not into sailing. We took out a Whaler one day and explored the islands in North Sound. It's a nice way to spend time on your own private beach. If you're into sailing, it's valhalla at BEYC. We're not, but we still loved it. We are into snorkeling, and the options there were many and we took advantage of the various snorkeling trips (all included for resort guests). There were also day trips to scenic destinations like The Baths, Norman Island or Anageda, and others. These trips were usually on a 40" Sailing Catamaran. They are fun trips, but if the weather is rough, it can be a bit upsetting. We had our trip to Anageda cancelled because of high winds. Good thing, since an 35 mile sail in high seas would not have been fun.

The food at Bitter End is good. I wouldn't characterize it as haute cuisine, but rather good country club or yacht club food. After all, Bitter End is a yacht club. I almost didn't go to Bitter End because of all the poor food reviews in Trip Advisor. I was encouraged by the fact they had just hired a new executive chef and sous chef. They upgraded their menu and eliminated a lot of the buffets. I'm glad we took a chance. Breakfasts were very good (choice of buffet or menu). Lunches were more casual, but hearty. Dinner was different every night. Several menu choices and two special buffet nights a week (West Indies on Tues. and Seafood on Friday). I don't think we had one bad meal during our stay. The wine list was surprisingly good and reasonably priced. The two bars (Clubhouse and Pool) both made excellent tropical drinks.

One of the best aspects of Bitter End was the service. In every area of the resort, you were met with friendly hellos, interesting conversations and excellent responses to your questions. Many of the staff actually remembered our name. It made you feel like you were at your own club back home.

Bitter End is very family oriented, but not so much that couples felt comfortable. We were a couple, but we don't mind being around kids. I'd say it was about half and half between families (a couple kids) and couples. The kids were very well behaved for the most part

Every resort has some negatives and Bitter End is no exception. Thus, I did not give them top ratings in every category. The biggest problem was the remote location of the resort. Traveling from the midwest, it took us between 16 and 17 hours each way. We flew into St. Thomas via Philadelphia. That part of the trip went smoothly. But, we than had to take a taxi to the dock in Charlotte Amalie, a ferry to Roadtown, Tortola, another taxi to the dock on Beef Island, Tortola, then a ferry to Bitter End. Our ferry from St. Thomas to Roadtown was cancelled and we had to wait an hour to catch the next one. That made us late for the second ferry, which required a two hour delay in the last leg of the trip. On the return, everything ran on schedule, but the entire trip still took us 17 hours. Next time (and there will be one) we will fly directly to Tortola's Beef Island Airport and take the ferry from the end of the runway to Bitter End.

The biggest negative with the resort was the lack of room keys and the fact that there were no safes in the room. You had to use the lobby safe deposit boxes if you didn't want to leave valuables in the unlocked room. While it was convenient to not have to worry about room keys, it did make us a little uncomfortable. Virtually every resort in the world now has combination safes tucked into a closet. Bitter End should do the same.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank wolverine-traveler
Reviewed February 4, 2009

This was a delight to the eye.It was a good place to relax and rest.It has spectacular views.The staff,most are very friendly.The friendly know who they are,so no need for names.The scene I believe is a bit stuffy.It has a few more stuffy guests than I would prefer to see in one day.You know the kind in school that I did not like to hang around with.The kind that in school would not be late for school or miss a day of school.A little clicky,not the best atmosphere for my tastes.The kind that like to sing at the bar,that group was not there.That does not make them bad people,but many were not much fun.They were more into there $300 dinners for two.The owners should read this review and learn from it.Or they will become a dinosaur in the business.I do not want to believe that they would be as stuffy as some as ther guests and take the constructive criticism.I am not prejudice and I have very wealthy friends.But often people who are rich are like many sports stars...just plain boring!!!!! Not all but often many put me to sleep.And I am a very active and in good shape person so it takes an extra dose of boring to put me to sleep.I loved the villas,the snorkeling,the staff on the beyc ferry ,they were enjoyable,but even the dive staff were young and catered to the uppity's...so even the young can be boring.We loved the place and fortunately my wife is beautiful,friendly and exciting...oh and she did miss school and she was like me, never clicky ,never boring..oh! and only the boring will be offended by this review.so this review is really a self evaluation...test....but there is still time to change if you are under 75 years of age.Get out there and stop being a bore.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank kaatok
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Just returned from a week at the Bitter End. Great experience, lot of fun, and terriffic ambience.

I was there for seven days, my partner joining me for the last four. My main purpose in going was to take advantage of the sailing school on property and earn a basic keel boat certification (which I managed to do!).

What's great about the Bitter End is the very laid back ambience. You can spend the entire day barefoot and in your swim trunks. It's the most totally casual kind of island mood you can imagine. And of course, the location in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda is just one of those very special places in the world. You'll never forget the scenery around you.

That said, the resort is defineately tatty, not at all "fancy". Rooms are quite well situated for views, and have everything you need in them, but they are really quite basic. The bed is comfy enough, plenty of towels, and those views! On balance, what else do you need.

The staff is among the overall firendliest I've ever met in the Carribean, where, to be honest, service and satff attitude can sometimes be a problem. On the first few nights when I was there alone, the dinning room staff took extra special care of "poor" me. Front desk staff is very good. Everyone smiled and said hello, and many people addressed me by name throughout my stay.

The real point of visiting the Bitter End, however, is to take to the water. The range of boats and water crafts available is just astounding, the saling instructors are fantastic, and the range of boating activities offfered is marvellous. I would go so far as to say that if you don't enjoy being out on the water, on boats or sailboards or day sails, you really should not stay at the Bitter End. There are nicer places if all you want is a beach. But if you've got the boat gene, or want to learn to sail, this is the place for you!

The downside? Well, the food is really awful (let's just say it!). And the beaches at the property aren't really great (though they are pretty). Add in that the rooms are a little tatty (even the renovated ones) and that's the sum of my complaints. Take a look at the resorts web site -- they don't doctor the pcitures, and you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

But, overall, we had a fatastitic time. Go and learn to sail, or just sail away if you already know how to, and you'll discover a great spot.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mike14c14
Reviewed November 11, 2008

My family (husband and two children 11 and 8) have just returned from a fantastic week at the Bitter End Yacht Club. We already knew it was a beautiful location having been there 18 months ago on a charter yacht. We wanted an activity holiday with lots of watersports options, hoping to encourage our younger son to take up sailing which is our big passion. But I also wanted a luxurious and relaxing break, with time for myself, and to feel like I had a real holiday. The Bitter End Yacht Club gave us everything we wanted - a beautiful location with fantastic stylish rooms, verandas overlooking the yellow sand beach and azure blue sea - and a hammock! The choice of boats from the watersports centre kept us all fully occupied - and the fact that it was all totally included in the price meant you were happy to use all facilities as much as possible. The resort was well maintained, clean and with fantastic friendly staff - the fresh water pool with its bar and food servcice made a great location for lunch every day, and we enjoyed the variety of a la carte or buffets offered in the beautiful Almond Walk restaurant every night. There was masses to do - different events on every day and excursions - or you could just pick a secluded sun lounger on one of the several choices of deserted beach around the resort and chill out, knowing the children were safe and occupied - usually snorkelling, in the pool, or doing some watersports from sailing, to kayaking or windsurfing. As an active club sailor, I also enjoyed the friendliness of the yacht club bar, and the camaraderie of the other guests. But you don't have to be a sailor or watersports enthusiast to enjoy the Bitter End; we really enjoyed the morning yoga (I never thought it was such hard work!) and the spa facilities. Can't recommend it enough - a really fantastic holiday. Any bad points? Well the mossies were apparently unusually bad so I'd recommend taking some sprays or anti-itch devices (but you could buy them from the resort shop), and it's quite a journey to get there - but really well worth it. Next time - I'd go for 2 weeks and charter the BEYC's yacht so we could have a few days touring the BVIs as well and enjoy both a land based and yacht charter holiday. High point - getting my son to love sailing - he's even keen to do it now back home in the winter.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank sallysailor
Sebastian's on the Beach
Sebastian's on the Beach
#1 of 13 in Road Town
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!