All reviewsbitter endwater sportswatersports staffkids campsnorkeling tripsvirgin gordathe key lime pielobstermain restaurantour honeymoonprickly pear islandbeef island airportbiras creekcan't wait to go backthe general manageroverlooking the watermary jo
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at the Bitter End for a couple nights while on business, unfortunately I did not have a chance to enjoy all of the amenities and activities on the resort. I love the BVI's and this was my first time to the North Sound, so if you're traveling from the states it is a bit of a trip to get to. Once at EIS you have to take a taxi to the North Sound ferry dock and take a ferry or boat over to Virgin Gorda, its about a 20-30 min ride. I took both a private charter and a ferry and its about the same amount of time.

The resort is lovely, the beds are comfy, the rooms are super clean and the beachfront cottages are very nice and spacious. My only concern is that there aren't any locks in the rooms and no air conditioning in the regular beachfront cottages. There were times I just ran out of my room and I had left my valuables out, and had to run back to put them in the safe. Not that I ever felt unsafe but you never know!

I ate at both restaurants and everything was tasty! As others have mentioned that everything is pretty pricey but totally worth it.

Overall I would return since I didn't get a chance to enjoy the resort as much as I would have liked. Its on my to do list next year when I return to the BVIs.

Room Tip: Try to get the rooms closer to the center of the resort since some can be a bit far and up lots of stairs. Also keep in mind that all "beachfront" cottages aren't directly on the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SRod17
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I spent the last 8 days at BEYC....I never knew vacation could be so grand! Went on the Sunset Dinner Cruise, the staff were all so professional and helpful, GREAT food, good company, wonderful service.

This is my second time at BEYC....any time in the BVI one needs to visit BEYC, be it for Sunday Brunch, the Sunset Dinner Cruise or just to hang out!

Thanks to the F & B Team and their Director; the Housekeeping Team et al

Room Tip: A must stay in the BVI
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hcadette
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just returned from a week at Bitter End and were sad to leave. My husband and I travelled with our 8 year old daughter from Atlanta the week of June 29-July 6

We loved:

-- The Room. We stayed in a Premium Beach Front Cottage that was air-conditioned, lovely, exquisite view with a big porch and hammok, lovely bathroom and shower, with a comfortable King sized bed. We spent a few hours a day in the room, usually late afternoon after a full day of water sports, reading and napping, so a decent room (with air-conditioning in July) was important for us.

-- The Food and Drink. The food was delicious and plentiful. We ate at all 3 venues, as well as excursions, and the food was consistently delicious. The main dining hall always offered a buffet + a menu and with the Admiral's Package both are included -- meaning you can eat at the buffet + order from the menu for every meal. Dangerous! Drinks are not included in the package, but every morning there was "Make Your Own Mimosas" with champagne + juices. There was often rum punch -- always on the excursions -- and a bottle of rum in the room. From my perspective, there was plenty of opportunity to drink alcohol for no extra charge.

-- The Location. North Sound of Virgin Gorda is stunning. Breath-taking blue water, gorgeous landscaping with flowers, cacti, sea grapes, palm trees. The beaches ran the length of the resort with easy access to dip into the clear blue, warm Caribbean sea or read in a lounge chair. Plenty of shade, too. It was remote, safe, breezy, near perfect natural beauty.

-- The Resort. Well-equipped with everything we needed: easy access to sailboats, a beautiful swimming pool, swimming beaches, gorgeous, breezy outdoor dining... wi fi in a couple of locations. The resort has stores to buy bottled drinks and extra sunscreen, forgotten swim shirts, and hats, zinc oxide for our daughter's sunburn, and a small selection of over the counter remedies for typical ailments. Hiking. Mask and snorkel rental ($6 a day) and free fins. I took a hike along Mangrove Trail to the windward side of the Island to a gorgeous swimming cover. There were many sports we didn't get a chance to try but were available to us included in the price: paddle-boarding, wind-surfing and kite surfing... a sailing school...too many activities and excursions to do in a week. My husband and daughter paid extra for SCUBA experiences. SCUBA is onsite but not included. I paid extra for a massage in the spa, which was an excellent massage.

-- The Excursions. We did two excursions as a family: The Baths and Devil's Bay: some of the best snorkeling I've ever done + an exciting hike into the caves formed by giant boulders; Hobie Out of Bounds to Prickly Pear: a group of Hobies sailed to a remote and beautiful cove and we had a cook-out. We also went on several snorkeling excursions -- they were nearly every afternoon and usually included rum punch. So awesome... and easy... just walk over and get on the boat. Underwater life included sea turtles, rays, nurse shark, parrot fish, urchins, brain coral, Dori fish, barricuda, and lots of colorful tropical fish.

-- Easiness at the Resort. With the Admiral's Package nearly everything was included -- all food, excursions, activities... we simply walked up and partook. Stores, drinks, massages, were charged to the room. There was no need to carry money the entire time... unless you want to spend money at other locations such as the bar at The Baths, or Saba Rock, or other places not on site. Rooms provided plenty of towels, service was accommodating and nearly always friendly (I can only remember one less than friendly encounter with service)... just easy!

We Didn't Love:

-- The Trip There and Back. It is an all-day schlep to get there and back. The resort is only accessible by boat and there are no direct flights from the US to Virgin Gorda... the best you can do is to take a flight from the US and then either a small plane + ferry or a couple of ferry rides to Bitter End. Even if you fly to Virgin Gorda (from San Juan or St. Thomas), you have to take a cab to the main ferry dock and a ferry to Bitter End. We went from ATL to San Juan, San Juan to Beef Island (Tortola), and then a ferry from Beef Island to Bitter End. It's an all day affair. If we go back, we may try ATL to St. Thomas, spend the night in St. Thomas, then take a morning ferry from St. Thomas to Gun Creek Virgin Gorda and then a second ferry from Gun Creek to Bitter End. This would allow us to arrive at Bitter End in the morning and not waste a day of our reservation traveling. This time, we left our home at 7:30AM arrived at the resort around 7:30PM... and then our last day, we had to leave the resort at 6:45AM... returning to Atlanta at 7:30PM.

-- Kids Camp. The camp counselors were lovely and our daughter had a good time each time we dropped her off at camp. However, camp was not sufficient to meet our needs. Weirdly, camp is every day from 9-11 and 2-4 PM... and these times do not correspond to excursions or other resort activities... for example, camp starts at 9 and then an activity may start at 10 and go to 3... so, really, you can't drop your children off and do anything substantial as adults. We did send our daughter to camp a few times which allowed us two hours of alone time which we spent in our room (another reason a decent room is important to us!). Also, strangely, our daughter was the only kid in camp each and every time we dropped her off! One of the reasons we chose Bitter End was for the camp, wanting our daughter to meet other kids and enjoy the week with new friends. This did not happen. There were plenty of kids at the resort but parents didn't use camp, maybe because of the odd and short hours? What we want is longer coverage (at minimum 3 hour sets: such as 9-noon and 2-5) and coordinated coverage with excursions and activities so we could do some activities, adults only. This may keep us from returning to Bitter End.

-- Lack of Maintenance in Our Room. Our room was lovely, but strangely there were several things broken: the door that separated our cabin for that adjacent wouldn't stay closed, so we propped it closed with a conch shell; the sliding door that gives you privacy on the toilet didn't stay closed, so we propped it closed with the toilet paper holder; the shower drain pipe was broken and our shower run-off poured out underneath our cabin. None of these were major inconveniences... but strange in such an expensive resort. We stayed in a Premium Beach Front Cottage --- which was lovely and expensive. The North Sound Suites (I peeked in at an empty one) are clean but with dated interiors, ugly bathrooms with cheap fixtures... old furniture. As far as I could tell, all rooms are kept clean... no problems with cleanliness or bugs.

Spa and Movie Area are Sub Standard. I paid extra for a massage, which was wonderful. But the spa building is crazy run down, tiny, and sub-standard. I was expecting a beautiful outpost where I'd want to hang out for an afternoon: they offer day packages. But I can't imagine spending a day in that space. The building is old... the bathroom is old and out-dated. It's tiny. The space wasn't nearly as nice as our room. It is not a spa I would visit and spend time. If it was nicer, I would have brought my daughter there for manicures... but I didn't want to hang out there. So strange. The resort plays movies at night -- which is, for us with a younger child, a nice family way to relax after a busy day. But the movie area has the most uncomfortable benches with vinyl cushions. This could easily be fixed with more comfortable seating.

All in all we had a great vacation at Bitter End. But given the cost for a Premium Beach Front Cottage, which, for us, is necessary, plus the lack of adequate camp we will keep looking for alternatives. We may not find a better solution and may return. In the mean time, we hope Bitter End will improve its camp offerings and perhaps update and improve some of its accommodations.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Premium Beachfront Cottage which was lovely, necessarily air-conditioned in July, and a short walk from main dining and water sports. These rooms are considerably nicer than than the North Sound Suites which have dated interiors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank Jennie R
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently attended a wedding at the Bitter End Yacht Club that was superb. Although the wedding activities only spanned over 3 days, my partner and I decided to head down a few days early to relax and enjoy the resort, which was certainly a decision we didn't regret. The resort itself is beautiful and well maintained. I felt as if we were on a secluded island that majically provided access to all sorts of amenities.

The wedding and the activites surrounding it were of the most excellent quality. The wedding coordinator MaryJo was phenomenol. Even though we weren't the lucky couple, the staff treated us like we were. As far as wedding events, we tok a sailing trip to the Baths on their catamaran one day and we had a gorgeous cocktail party abourd their larger boat at sunset. The BEYC was on point for every event and made sure all logistics were accounted for. I would highly recommend this special place for a special day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Seth K
Reviewed July 3, 2013

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! I cannot saw enough wonderful things about my wedding at the Bitter End. Mary Jo Ryan is amazing. She took my vision and turned it into a reality. Mar and Mike from Yacht Shots are incredible photographers. We cannot stop looking at the pictures. They captured every moment. I was only going to have them for part of the wedding but made them stay right to the end. Our wedding was truly a Fairytale. Everyone had an amazing time and cannot stop talking about our wedding, The Bitter End and how much fun they all had. My 5 year old nephew has decided he is moving to the "Virgins Island"..lol It might be a bit further than other wedding destinations but they make you feel like family and everyone goes out of their way to make sure you are having a good time. When we kissed all the boats in the harbor started honking their horns. Where else do you get a moment like that. The food was amazing and the desserts super yummy. Our nieces and nephews have some nut and dairy allergies so they labeled all the food that were nut and dairy free. They had dairy free bread for my nephew everyday and made him special cupcakes at the wedding that were dairy free and had blue frosting and sugared fish on top. He was super excited there was something special there for him. If we could have we would have partied all night!! DJ Heavy B kept everyone out on the dance floor. Even the girls working the wedding got out on the dance floor with us. Thank you Bitter End for a wedding and memories we will never FORGET!!!!

Room Tip: I personally like air conditioning so we stayed in the Premium Beachfront but most of our guests stayed in the North Sound Suites as they are the only other rooms with air conditioning. The views from either of these rooms are amazing. The North Sound Suites are a little bit of a walk from the main dining room but after all the food you are going to eat the walk is nice. Or you can always get a golf cart to pick you up.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family