“5 stars based on our experience not the rooms”

Bitter End Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Sound
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Listen, if you are interested in an action packed vacation for your family this is the spot. The water sport area has a great fleet to take out. The rooms are for sleeping and that is pretty much it. The beds are very comfortable that is for sure but the actual furniture and design are seriously a bit campy to say it kindly. Our bathroom was a bit of a joke but worked fine. My suggestions to the management is spend a little to at least fix the broken hooks, holes in doors, broken areas around the room. Get better furniture that is comfortable to sit on in the rooms as well. They are huge on the North Sound side so perhaps a better more thought out layout would be good. In addition, take care of your boats. The light fixtures are broken on the Corinthian and keep it in good working order.

The food was good not gourmet but good. Considering we were booked under the Admiral package our food, fleet and trips were all inclusive of our rate. Not to mention an additional room for our kids. The rooms were connected by the balcony and we felt fine with this arrangement.

Here is the what made the BEYC special to our family. We loved the guests that we met on our trip. Our children met kids right away and by the 2nd day they had a huge group of friends to sail, play, snorkel etc. with. We met so many wonderful people it really made the trip fantastic.

The staff overall was wonderful. The water sport staff was a bit tough to deal with but the captains on the boats were great as well as the chefs. Our son has a life threatening peanut allergy and the staff took good note of it at our meals. The management was present at all times and helped us with a few things which was very nice. The family of owners were on the resort and they were attended to hand and foot by the staff which to be honest seemed a bit odd. I would have thought that if anything the family would have wanted the paying guests to have the special treatments vs them. They were not exactly friendly or outgoing to the guests either. This was a bit off putting.

We dove with Kilbrides on a few occasions and enjoyed our time as well. The visibility was a bit poor on a couple dives and one had really rough seas but the equipment was good and we felt safe.

Our family has stayed at Little Dix Bay three different times which was an unbelievable spot with over the top service and really nice rooms but it lacked the activities and adventure we were looking for. So would we return to BEYC absolutely. I just hope they start taking care of what they have vs let it get so run down they can't use it.

Room Tip: I would suggest staying on the North Sound suites on the lowest level. We toured the beach front ro...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ckayjr

Reviewed May 11, 2013

If you like watersports, this is the place to go. They have sailboats, including hobies as well as monohulls, windsurfing, kiteboarding, swimming and the best scuba team that we've had anywhere (Caymans, Curacao, Hawaii,etc). The Admiral's package includes use of boats and all meals. Lessons for sailing, windsurfing, kiteboarding, and tanks for diivng are extra. We learned to windsurf on this vacation; and, when you fall off the board in 81F water, it is much more comfortable. Since we went in the off season, it wasn't as busy, and that was a good thing.
They also offer a ton of activities to nearby islands, cruises, snorkeling, etc throughout the day. You can be as busy or as relaxed as you want to be.
One of the weird things about the resort is the accomodations. You stay in these dual treehouse like huts, where you have two units per hut. You do not have key locks on the doors, so the room stays open all day. You can lock it from the inside at night, and they have room safes for valuables, but that it is. We didn't experience any theft or problems, but it is an adjustment.
The challenge about BEYC is getting there. We flew into Virgin Gorda on a small plane (Air Sunshine) from our larger plane on St Thomas (American). I would not recommend flying Air Sunshine. They are expensive and not particulary customer friendly. There is not really great really direct way to get there, since you have to get there by water, no matter what. Landing on Tortola (Beef Island) and taking the water taxi is probably a good option. I'd say the better option is to take the sea plane from St. Thomas during the season. It lands right in the bay of BEYC. Any flying option is a little more expensive for the travel, and then add on more if you have more than 50# of luggage per person. Since you have a real trek to get there, plan to spend at least a week there to make it worth it. CapeAir is a better option for local planes that land on runways only, but only goes to Tortola. (Most people staying at the resort were there for 1 week or more).
All in all, it was an incredible vacation that we spend at least 1/2 our time in or on the water.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FreqTravelerDC
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I recently saw a less than stellar review of BEYC by some one who attended a wedding there. I can't believe they were in the same place where my daughter was married.
While admittedly it was a few years ago, our family and over 70 other guest had a fabulous experience! The staff could not have been friendlier, more accomadative, or more professional. We even had a hurricane come close at the beginning of our stay which necessitated a complete shut down of the facility including grounding of all the watercraft and shuttering the cottages. Everyone was provided with safe quarters, food and emergency supplies. Luckily the storm veered off and damage was minimal. Incredibly, the entire operation was up and running as if nothing happened within 12 hours!
The wedding went off with out a hitch. I would do it again and can't wait to go back. Next time just my wife and I just for an idyllic, romantic getaway!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank EdW113
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went to BEYC in April for a week. The day after my arrival I had an accident on a Hobie Cat. I had to go to Road Town for stitches. When the accident happened Joe, Emma, and Lucy came right to my aid. Also, Sandra and Mo kept asking me if I needed anything after I returned from Road Town. Beluh sent breakfast up to me room each morning so I didn't have to walk to breakfast. Each and every member of the BEYC staff was excellent to me. I am just sorry I didn't get to go into that beautiful water again after my accident. I stayed in the premium oceanfront rooms and would highly advise staying in one of these rooms. Food was wonderful and make sure you try the lemon crush drink Martin makes at the pool.
I will go back next year and enjoy everything the resort has to offer!!

Room Tip: Book a premium oceanfront with a/c. You feel like you are right on the water.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2013

A friend recommended the Bitter End and we could not be more thankful. The place is spectacular: blue skies, puffy clouds and water so pristine we saw a lot of the marine life without even getting wet! The hotel is constituted by a series of cottages along the beachfront, the decoration of these is very tasteful and comfortable and each has a hammock to enjoy an afternoon nap, read, etc. The food is great and you have several option if you get tired of great seafood. The crowd is mainly families, sailing people and couples so you will be able to avoid loud, partying kids. And you have a variety of sailcraft you can use for free. The service is attentive and pleasant and if you get bored of paradise, there are several other places close by. I really liked Saba Rock, where I have had the best Painkillers I have ever tried!
If you are looking for a relaxed vacation in a beautiful setting and with many sailing activities as options + good food, this is your place. Converesely, do not come here if you are looking for huges beaches, party crowd or you are not an early morning person (breakfast is served only from 8 to 10 AM).

Room Tip: Rooms in the south part are 'sea level'. For some in the north part you have to be a ountain...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hernan V
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We recently returned from our third trip to the BEYC and it was the best one yet! The staff are the friendliest and most helpful folks EVER and the general manager is very present and asks for feedback on everything. The water sports staff are great too - especially Kinto who makes every trip a great time. We stayed in a non-view beachfront villa this time and we didn't miss the view at all since we were a 1 minute walk from the beach, and the price differential made up for our tree view. We've travelled to Virgin Gorda many times now, so feel free to message me with questions.

Room Tip: Some folks complain about the North Sound suites because they are built on a hill and have many step...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CousinElmer
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were welcomed with a fruit basket and bottle of rum in our beachfront cottage. This is an excellent place for water lovers, foodies and those looking to be pampered. The chef prepares several entrees all of which we were allowed a taste and all of the top cuts of meats, fish and poultry perfectly prepared. One can stay on property or get a kayak or speed boat and explore the beaches, which is what we did. Can't wait to return. Hello to all the wonderful staff, thank you for a great week.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 7 in Virgin Gorda
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
#1 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!