“Beautiful Place!!!!!”

Bitter End Yacht Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Sound
“Beautiful Place!!!!!”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This place is beautiful, since we arrived everything was peaceful, the surroundings are very well kept, the employees are nice but a little bit slow "Island Time" but since we were on vacation that's ok!!!
Our son did many water sports and loved it, the food was good a little expensive but I guess it's because it's a little Island and everything has to be shipped. My husband and I loved to play pool in the afternoon at a sports bar they have. I will love to come back!!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Jbclovestotravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I hadn't been to the Bitter End in a long time and had no idea what to expect. Since it was scheduled to be halfway through a sailing trip I had gotten a glimpse of how much the BVI had changed since the last time I'd been there. Arriving at the Bitter End I was happy to see that it looked pretty much as i remembered it, minus the new dock they just put in for mooring boats.

My family and I ate at the pub, played pool, went to the pool, the beaches, and rented a hobie wave. We had a great time and my six year old son loved the water trampoline. The staff were really friendly and the rates for sailboat rentals were reasonable. Even the docking fee was reasonable, and they brought someone in to help us with our Cat (we're used to a monohull).

I went to the spa one day and although not fancy by any means, I had one of the best massages ever.

We also enjoyed the free movie night. They show two movies each night, one at 7:30 for kids, and one at 9:30 for adults.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank eastcoastwahine
Chicago
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week long stay at The Bitter End. We have traveled quite a bit and I would consider this our most relaxing, but activity filled trip ever! We stayed in the "beach front villa's" suite 25 north. I would rate that the best room at the resort. It's located high up on the hill, so the breeze was fantastic. No need for air conditioning. The sounds of birds chirping and palm trees swaying was incredible. 25N has more trees next to it than others. The views are to die for. One of our favorite things to do was to sit on our balcony and enjoy the view every morning, late afternoon and evening.The walk to get there was wonderful, it's a bit far, but trust me, after every meal, you'll want to walk that far and then some. Beach front villas are not on the beach, but I wouldn't want to be on the beach and give up the fantastic views you get higher up the hill. The pictures on the website don't do the resort justice, it's actually so much better in person!

The food was fantastic. Very creative menu. I never tired of it, just tired of eating too much because it was all so good! They have a new chef who just started at the end of May. Sitting along the water for every meal is fantastic and the wait staff was very friendly.

Bitter End has a new general manager, Mo, who seems to be doing a fantastic job.They have so many touches you won't find elsewhere. A welcome pint of rum in the room, make your own mimosa bar every day at breakfast, grog at lunch, rum punch after snorkeling, rum for your coffee after dinner. All included. Also, if you order a bottle of wine at dinner and don't finish it, they will save it for you or you can take it back to your room. The drink prices are the same as in Chicago, so I didn't feel gouged at all. You can buy beer, wine, rum at the store as well.

Oh, no need to bring bug spray, they have it in the rooms and in the dining room. Bring anti itch cream though if you're a mosquito magnet like me.

The activities every day were fantastic. The snorkeling is so good there that there's really no need to go diving. We're both certified, but preferred snorkeling. Just bring lots of water proof sun screen. We went snorkeling every day and never went to the same place twice. Be sure to go to Anagada for the snorkeling, not just for enjoying the beautiful beach. Kinto the captain, is a master tour guide and knows all the best spots. No need to go on your own.

Everyone who works there was so incredibly sweet and helpful.

It's a tough place to get to, but so worth the travel time. Going for a week and getting the admiral's package is a must. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The beach front villas are for couples, king sized beds only, unless you get two rooms (will separat...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank babtsch
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Having incredibly fond memories of vacationing at the Bitter End Yacht Club as child with my family, I was a little nervous after booking our family vacation in June there, that it might no longer be the breathtakingly beautiful and magical place that I remembered. To my delight, I was wrong - it was even more special than before. The resort is charming and beautifully designed, the food is delicious, and the service is wonderful. Mo and Mary Jo went out of their way to make us feel a part of the Bitter End family and really helped to personalize our experience. Whether you are looking for a romantic getaway for two, a peaceful haven for one or a fun filled family vacation, the Bitter End Yacht Club has something for everyone. We have two children – ages 10 and 12, and the amazing water sports staff taught them to sail and windsurf, really paying special attention to them. And when we weren’t using the well maintained water sports, hiking the gorgeous trails or playing in the refreshing pool, we were enjoying the fantastic excursions to must see places such as the Baths and Anegada. Evenings were topped off with sunset sails, champagne cruises or dancing to a Calypso band. This was such an easy place to bring children and make our own special family memories. We can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank David G
San Deigo
Reviewed May 24, 2012

If you are lucky enough to own your own yacht and are looking for a spot to dock for the day and have a soothing "pain killer" or a quick bite, the Bitter End is simply fine.

I recently stayed at the Bitter End for 3 nights for a wedding of two very close friends. The Bitter End appears to be a place that "once was". Maybe back in the 70's. With it's ridiculously inconvenient rooms scattered a mile from the center of the property's main areas, the Bitter End only provides 1 shuttle golf cart, making getting around, ANYWHERE, quite the challenge.

If you plan to upgrade to the beach front villas, please note: They're not on the beach and they have NO air conditioning. FYI, the lower end units DO have A/C and, like the beach front villas, have a VIEW of the Ocean. What is the upgrade you may ask? I did. They told me the Beach Front Villas were recently remodeled. Being in a wedding group I was able to see several rooms. They looked almost identical.

Drinks and food are insanely expensive. Of course though, right? Like an airport, because the only way in or out is by boat, they jack of the price of everything they can.

BUT, more than anything, the WORST part of the Bitter End Yacht Club is the service. Service! It's why we spend extra. It's why we go "here" and not "there". Service is free. It's a culture. A creed. Something an organization stands by. The nicest hotel in the world can have horrific service, and it will collapse right away. When people go on vacation they want to feel different. Be treated with a little "extra" than the norm. Pampered. I'll pay a fortune for mediocre food and drinks if you give them to me with a smile on your face! : - )

The Bitter End felt more like a dare than a luxury vacation destination. Run by Mary Joe, her attitude is nasty, unaccommodating and entitled. All of the key qualities you look for in the Service Industry. Kidding. I say all of this as an observer and someone who practices and values the art of Service in my own occupation. My personal experience had no specific issue causing me to write this rant. I was simply so blown away by Mary Joe's horrific attitude, along with the service culture she has instilled in her team, that I felt compelled to express my sentiments in some way. Another reason that motivated me was the witnessing of my dear friends spending significant, hard-earned money, to hold their dream wedding and being treated as an inconvenience throughout their entire stay. People don't deserve that at the Red Roof Inn, much less a luxury destination and ground zero for a couples WEDDING!

It would be unfair of me if I didn't point out 2 outstanding features of the Bitter End. Actually 2 people. Tristan, your bellman, is friendly, knowledgeable and will go out of his way to assist you and ensure you are comfortable. He was the best part of the hotel. Also, Stephan, in the Crawl Pub, is a warm, talented bartender who understands what customer service means and why people come back for more.

Oh, BTW, if you didn't know, from the States, prepare to take at least 2 flights. 1 ferry. 1 cab and 1 water taxi to get to the Bitter End.

My advice, just rent a private Kat. We did after our Bitter End experience. Went sailing for 4 days with Dan and Suzzie on "The Fantasy Island". They are the absolute epitome of fantastic customer service and an exceptional travel experience. Look them up. Unreal and reasonable.

Room Tip: Do not upgrade to the beachfront villas. no a/c. not on the beach. far from the center. which is...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank travel586
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Beautiful resort on Virgin Gorda that truly looks like the pictures on the website. It really was a romantic, heavenly oasis out in the middle of the ocean with a killer view in a bungalow that feels very private. I was a little disappointed that our phone & bathroom light didn't work, given the price we paid nightly to stay there. We told the employee about this issue when he checked us into our room (there are no keys btw), & he said they would fix it but it unfortunately it never was. The problem with not having a working phone is that when you need a ride from a golf cart, you cannot get one. There are many steps, dirt paths, and long walk ways which only presented a real issue when we needed to walk to reception on departure with all our bags. That was the only negative I experienced.

Lovely private beaches + a nice pool area where you can order drinks & food. The breakfasts were AWESOME (mimosa bar w/ fresh juices) & you can sit feet from, if not in, the beach while you eat on the beachside terrace. Shops on the resort with swimwear, jewelry, and even a little store to get some rum or wine:) There's a great bars on the resort (w/ pool tables), that stayed open for us during a friends wedding so that was great! Lots of cool birds & fish to see everywhere & good snorkeling close by, particularly at the Baths which were PHENOMENAL! Do not go to Virgin Gorda without visiting the Baths - that would be a HUGE mistake! We did the catamaran trip w/ the resort & it was just perfect. Had the best day ever there.

I would definitely recommend this resort & go back in the future.

Room Tip: I believe they are all ocean views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed May 22, 2012

First, I have to disclose that I hurt my back on the first day of our 7 day vacation so I spent far more time in the hotel room than I had planned. With that disclosure: Getting to the resort is an adventure all to itself but we knew that from the start so we embraced that aspect of the journey. (two planes, two water taxis and two land taxis). We arrived in time for dinner and checked into our room. The room (more like a two unit cabin) was big (we stayed on the North hill area), but was definitely in need of a fresh coat of paint. Most walls had paint peeling. We loved the fact there there was no TV in the room and the view onto the water was spectacular!! Taking the path to the main resort area was nice, but again, there was lots of decay to the exterior of the buildings. (exposed rebar from the concrete pillars, hot water tanks on their side). The water activities are by far the best part of the resort. My wife was able to take full advantage of the snorkel trips while I did lots of reading thanks to my back. The food was good, a few surcharges at dinner for the good stuff when you are on the Admirals Plan. It seemed as if the resort was about 1/2 full. Our trip in April was just after school vacations, yet before the May wedding season. The service was far better than any other all inclusive trip (ie Sandals). Seemed like the entire resort was aware of my aching back yet finding a heating pad was not an easy task (my wife went to town and purchased one). Vigin Gorda is a beautiful island and this resort has beautiful views. The beach at the resort is average at best as is the pool. The excursions and onsite available boating is what this resort is all about.

Room Tip: We stayed on the north hill because we wanted a room with A/C. A short, but beautiful walk to the r...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Peter Island

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!