“Best Vacation Ever!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Sound
Washington DC
“Best Vacation Ever!”
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Husband and I decided on a week at BEYC as a pre-Thanksgiving get away Nov 16-23. Our room was a Garden View Villa. The breezes from the sound, along with the ceiling fan, made the temperature perfect. The room was lovely, and came stocked with rum and coke in the mini-fridge. Activities at BEYC cannot be beat - we snorkeled, sailed or went diving every day. The dive masters (not BEYC employees) were terrific in guiding us to see a plane wreck, a ship wreck and fantastic coral and fish. The food at BEYC was also great and plentiful - from the omelet station to the lunch salads and the dinner offerings, which included rack of lamb, skirt steak, snapper, etc. We were pleasently surprised at the variety and quality of the selections.

1 Thank mlax

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Monterey, California
Reviewed December 2, 2011

We went as a married couple no kids and had a great time. I was pregnant so we didn't spend too much money on alcohol. Drinks at the bar are not cheap but they have a store where you can buy beer and take it back to your room or drink on the beach. My guess is if you are going here you have the money for stuff like that. We bought a package on sale so it was a bit out of our price range.
Good: Breakfast is by far the best meal of the day. Fruit and eggs are really good. The food at the pub was really good as well and a nice change of pace from the regular dinners. I read on a few reviews people complaining about the food but I thought for all inclusive it was not too shabby at all. The beaches are nice. Tons of places to sit in the shade and hammocks in random spots. I loved the rooms. Very unique. We went without AC since did the Peace Corps in Panama and my husband is tough. We found the breeze to be sufficient but this option is not for everyone. I think if you can afford it, go for the AC. If you know your way around a boat there are tons you can take out for free. Go on all the trips you can fit in! We did one every other day then just relaxed every other day.
Minor annoyances: you are still expected to tip on food etc. They say you are not but based on the attitude of the wait staff we figured out that you are in fact. We just tipped enough to make 18% into 20% so it wasn't that bad. Bring cash to tip boat staff for trips as well.
TRAVEL: do yourself a favor and pay the extra money for your plane ticket and fly in to Beef Island. We flew in to St Thomas because tickets were cheaper but by the time you get the two ferryboats, Taxi and last ferry to the resort it is a huge pain the the but and the saving basically goes away. You have to pay for your transfers anyway since there is no way to get to the resort on your own (unless you sail there) so choose Beef Island!
Overall I would love to come back when we have older kids but we had a great time with just us. Unique not extremely fancy but a very cool experience that I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank travelmooseRPCV
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 2, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week long stay at the Bitter End over the Thanksgiving Holiday. We loved every minute of our trip! We are a very active couple and found that there was never a shortage of activities at BEYC. From the sunset sails, champagne cruises, access to their watersports fleet, daily excursions, hiking, relaxing on the beach, etc., we had an awesome time. The watersports fleet is in great condition and the staff is great! The waitstaff was always friendly and attentive. The food is satisfying and there is never a shortage. The self-serve mimosas were awesome! We would recommend to anyone staying at BEYC to rent a car and explore Virgin Gorda for a day. BEYC will pack you a delicious lunch and help you with all arrangements. Overall, we had a great time and highly recommend the BEYC to any couple or family who is looking for a resort that offers something for everyone.

Room Tip: We opted to stay in a garden beachfront room and loved it. There is no air conditioning but the wind...
1 Thank Jalcasey13
Purcellville, Virginia
Reviewed November 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed at BEYC from 28 Oct - 11 Nov 2011. Our first week, we participated in the 25th Annual Pro-Am Regatta. All I have to say is, "AWESOME!!!" Seriously, it was probably a highlight of our lives. Getting to sail with the Pros and making life-long friends with other participants was truly amazing. I was very surprised that not more younger people were there participating... Bitter End should be the premier place for active young adults looking for a beautiful, adventurous, and active Caribbean getaway.

We stayed in the Premier Beach Front room 7 North. WOW!! The view from our room was just breathtaking. While we really didn't need it -- the air conditioning unit in the room would freeze you out if you wanted it to. Our housekeeper was possibly one of the sweetest ladies I've ever met. The room was always clean, the towels always well stocked, and the robes fresh. When we return to BEYC, we will be requesting 7 North again. It was steps from the main restaurant, the beach chairs, and the Watersports hut -- yet refreshingly quiet and private.

Food: We ate at the Main restaurant, the Crawl Pub, and the Poolside bar during our stay. West Indian night was our favorite, though. The pumpkin soup was out of this world, and I don't normally like anything pumpkin. If you are a Key Lime pie snob (like me -- raised in Florida), then you will appreciate the Key Lime pie served at BEYC. YUM!! No wonder it's famous! I could have just eaten that the whole time. Between the two of us, we tried almost everything on the menu at the Main restaurant. Never were we dissapointed. We probably gained 20 pounds collectively thanks to the yummy meals and tasty tropical beverages we consumed in our 2 week stay.

Activities: BEYC is a boater's paradise, hands down. We took full advantage of the Boston Whalers, the Hobies, the Lasers, and the Bradley 22. Although the wind was not cooperative during the Pro Am week, it picked up a bit during our 2nd week and we had a blast on the Hobies. We took the Bradley 22 over to Jost Van Dyke for the day -- we highly recommend doing this. What a blast! Not to mention the Watersports staff are incredibly nice, friendly, and super helpful. We also got a hot stone massage up in the Spa and were not dissapointed. The Spa staff were very professional, the atmosphere was quiet, dark, and peaceful. After a week of Pro Am, it was definitely welcomed!

Diving: DO IT!! We did 3 2-tank dives with Kilbrides Sunchaser Scuba located at BEYC. Needless to say, we are spoiled for life. We dove the Chikuzan, the Wreck of the Rhone (amazing), the Invisibles (like being in an aquarium), the Chimney, etc. The dive staff, Ben and Kay, are world class and will make certain you have impressive dives.

Overall, we felt so spoiled by the entire BEYC staff. It was truly the vacation of a lifetime, and the Bitter End has for sure locked in life-long visitors in my husband and myself. We cannot say enough about the place. Yes, it's on the expensive side; yes, you will probably have a hefty tab upon check-out ($8 drinks for 2 people for 2 weeks...you get the point) -- but who cares. If you are wanting to stay in Paradise with all the activities you want at your fingertips, then go to BEYC. You will be taken care of. We were emotional upon leaving, which usually never happens. We cannot wait to return!!

Room Tip: Premium Beach Front 7 North
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FELSmith
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Wow - what a great trip. In trying to find a honeymoon location, I was looking for something small, beautiful, with great service, and tons of activities. BEYC met our expectations.

We knew we found a great spot when we were greeted by dinner in our room when we arrived late in the evening. In the restaurant, at the front desk, and those working with activities were all very friendly in helpful. The food was wonderful - we didn't expect to eat so much - steak, lobster, blueberry pancakes, wonderful desert, the list goes on-and-on. We did some sailing, took out the Boston Whalers nearly every day, went snorkeling, did two sunset cruises, and did the day trip to Anegada. If you're looking for something more laid back, you can relax by the pool or the beach (even a private one of your own with a short boat ride)

We did venture on our own to the Baths one day. We rented a car for the day (same price as taking a taxi) and went to the Baths, Devil's Bay, had lunch in Spanish Town, and hiked Mount Gorda. It was a neat experience to see a bit more of the island. A highlight was a new bar high above North Sound named Hog Heaven. It was on the new road (Nail Head Bay Road?) and had a wonderful view of BEYC and the surrounding area.

I'd suggest going to Fat Virgin Cafe for lunch (short Boston Whaler ride away), going to the Sand Box (if it's open), taking advantage of happy hour on Sabba Rock, and getting a drink over at Leverick Bay.

We met a number of people coming back for their second, third, and even eighth time. This is certainly a gem of a place to stay and I will suggest it to all who ask.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Beach Villa. The room was not air conditioned. Although a bit warm, the ceiling fan...
2 Thank jdhawk
Saranac Lake, New York
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This place is in a great location and has water sports galore, but it is sorely in need of renovations and updating. I stayed in the North Sound Suites, and while big, with comfortable beds and a mini-frig, the decor was very old and dated. The screens on the windows were ripped, making them unusable, the lampshades had water stains, the furniture was rickety, the bathroom counter looked as if an amateur built it, the fixtures in there had lots of "grunge" around them that was never cleaned, when I ran out of tissues, they were never replaced, the place had dead bugs in the corners, and plenty of dust under the bed, the curtains were old and faded, and the deck furniture was old, stained, clunky and uncomfortable. For the price they charge, it should be nicer and newer and cleaner.

I was there in the hot, rainy season, so it wasn't optimum, but the dining is in an open-air dining room, there is no other choice, and it was STIFLING, it was nearly unbearable to eat in the dining room. I was in total meltdown, and I'm including the evening meal when it was dark. My skin crawls just thinking about the heat there. None of the vaunted breezes they are famous for. Just heat and humidity, and the ice in the water melted almost immediately. Only a few overheard fans and I never happened to be under them (there are also a lot of broken and inoperable fans at Bitter End). The food was good, and plentiful, but goodness, didn't I sweat for it. There ought to be somewhere else to eat, with A/C, when the weather is this bad. Thank goodness our rooms in the North Suites had A/C, I couldn't have survived without it, but then, I didn't come to the Virgin Islands to stay in my room.
Oh, also, if you are looking for a good beach, this isn't the place. The two beaches are just slivers, with a lot of sea life in them (crabs), and an icky bottom, plus no waves. The pool is quite nice. The man at the watersports desk was great, and an excursion to The Baths was all one could ask. The Baths are not to be missed!

Room Tip: The North Sound Suites have A/c, but need updating. I understand the Beachfront Villas are nicer, b...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Siam2444
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We just booked our seventh (or is it eighth) trip to Bitter End Yacht Club. The place is just that good. The location is idyllic. The service is impeccable. There is no place quite like it.

Arriving at the main dock is like coming home. You know Martin will be at the pool bar with a chocolate shake for the kids and one of his signature blender concoctions for the adults. If the pool bar is too quiet for your taste, Titus at the Pub will pour you a cold beer, or a craft you a frozen drink. While you relax at the bar, or shoot a game of pool, the staff will makes you one of the best pizzas in the Caribbean. When you are ready for something to do, Jerome will greet you at the watersports desk with a big smile, friendly greeting and an honest desire to make you happy.

We’re a family of four, my wife and I and our two teenage sons. Bitter End offers enough activities to keep us all entertained, but is small enough where it’s still a family vacation. The activities are mostly boating and water activities, so it helps if you have an interest in boating. But non-boating guests have daily excursions to occupy their days, or plenty of beach chairs to relax with a good book.

If you go, make sure you take the day trips to Anegada and the Baths. Sailors should sign up for the beer can regattas and the Hobie out of bounds adventures. Snorkelers have their choice of daily excursions.

If you are one of those people who is only happy bouncing from place to place, checking out the latest hot spot, don’t go. This is a place to relax, enjoy your family and friends and experience a little piece of paradise.

Room Tip: Just ask the travel consultant when you book your room. They won't steer you wrong. Families w...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Peter Island

Been to Bitter End Yacht Club? Share your experiences!