“Best in BVI”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of CocoMaya

CocoMaya
Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Virgin Gorda
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Virgin Gorda's Newest Beachfront restaurant, nestled between National Park boulders and gorgeous blue seaside. Enjoy Latin Asian fusion cuisine by a fireside lounge with original delicious cocktails.Open 7 days for lunch, Happy Hour and dinner. Bar Snacks all day.Takeaway.
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Best in BVI”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I recently ate dinner on Wednesday night with my wife and had an incredible evening. The food was great, the LIVE music was amazing and the the service was exceptional. We've been coming to Virgin Gorda for 15 years and been eating at the same restaurants that haven't changed a menu or their DJ. Its refreshing to see a new and vibrant place to give the island some flair.

Palm Desert, California, United States
“What a new and refreshing restaurant !!!!!”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The food is great, the drinks are terrific, add in the atmosphere and Siri the Bar tender...and you have MAGIC IN THE BVI. My wife and I went home on 2/23 and our out time at CocoMaya stands out as a very pleasant memory. (-:

Visited February 2014
Ojai, California, United States
“So Sorry To Change My Positive To Negative”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I am no longer a Coco Maya fan. I think this restaurant represents one you would like to find in LA or NYC rather than the Caribbean. I felt really weird going there this year- it is so out of place on Virgin Gorda, and though it is obviously a gorgeous setting, the prices are unfair, even for good food on the remote island. My friends who live on the island appreciate it because it is the only place this fancy, this slick, this metropolitan. I am not happy to see the island change. The wait staff look like they were flown in from NYC. How is it that there were no local or West Indian applicants for these positions? Sorry again, they seem like nice people, but I really like VG the way it is (except maybe for the turtle hunting) and don't want to see it change into a ritzy, upscale place. Biras Creek, Oil Nut Bay and the new yacht club are the perfect venue for the upscale crowd. Keep VG the way it is please.

aaron s, Owner at CocoMaya, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Hello Rachael
Thank you for visiting us again at CocoMaya though I am sorry you have changed your mind from your previous positive comments. As an owner of CocoMaya I am proud of how our staff have worked hard to transform us to where we are today with food and drinks. As for your comments on staff. We employ 25 staff including management and 13 of them are West Indian. All of them are fantastic! We are very fortunate to have an amazing team and with this staff we will keep striving to better ourselves.
We have enjoyed living on Virgin Gorda for more than ten years and have had ample time to come up with ideas on cuisine and I think we have priced ourselves appropriately and competitively with other neighboring restaurants whilst positioning ourselves slightly differently in the market place. I firmly believe that variety and selection in cuisine is a great advantage to tourism and vacationers.
Pricing... our mains do not go above $39 and you can purchase a beer for $4...Our list cocktails are $10. I would argue that we are competitive for Virgin Gorda. We make everything from scratch and our produce is the freshest we can source.... See our post on facebook yesterday for the tuna that we purchased that was caught same day from the eastern drop offs.
You clearly have your regular favorite restaurants on the island that you are friends with and have been supporting for many years - as we do also. Once again thank you for visiting us again and taking the time to post on Trip Advisor.
Kind regards
Seattle, Washington
“Beautiful atmosphere”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I went to this restaurant several times during our stay on Virgin Gorda. The food and drinks, especially the lettuce wraps, are so good! The restaurant threw a great party on New Years Eve with live music and performers. Wouldn't have wanted to bring in the New Year anywhere else!

• Visited December 2013
Monroe, New York
“OVERRATED”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

For over 25 years I have had a home in Virgin Gorda where we happily spend the winters, and the limited dining options have always made the prospect of a new option an appealing one. Friends had informed us of Coco Maya and we have had several lunches and one dinner there. Sadly I must confess that I have never had a truly satisfying meal. The cuisine, like the restaurant itself, seems to pursue the premise of overdoing and adding one thing too many. The restaurant is so cluttered with design ideas that it is annoying. And the food, likewise, seems to insist on adding one ingredient too many, or combining conflicting flavors in an attempt to be original. The service is inconsistent. Twice it took forever to get a cocktail - once when it was busy, and the delay was understandable; and once when there was only one other occupied table.
I have kept trying Coco Maya, hoping that my negative experience was an aberration. I doubt if I will try again.