“Great views, food is okay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hog Heaven

Hog Heaven
Ranked #2 of 37 Restaurants in Virgin Gorda
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ohio
“Great views, food is okay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

The BBQ is pretty tasty, as is the potato salad and rice. Nothing I'll crave when I'm not around though. The plantains were really bland, and the Conch Fritters were very soggy, and if there was conch in there, I couldn't taste it. I enjoyed the ribs, but my husband didn't care for the Pork, which he thought was stringy and a bit tough. They make a good Painkiller and Bushwacker here though, so it's a nice lunch spot if you can stand the wind.

• Polish first
Rhode Island
“Great view; pork and plantains not so great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

My family just returned from Virgin Gorda today. Last Wednesday we stopped by Hog Heaven for the first time and had lunch.

BBQ, particularly chicken and ribs, is a common cuisine in the VI's. Several places on Virgin Gorda execute it in the Caribbean style, which is considerably different than BBQ experienced here in the South to Southwest. The VI style tends to be sweet, has mild tanginess, and is very saucy. It is mostly innocuous, rarely memorable, but ordered often, at least by my family, because it offers one of the better dining values in a pricey culinary region. When buying BBQ on Virgin Gorda I am basically looking for product that is cooked correctly and taste good.

I had read enough reviews of this place to know I needed to be leery of the chicken (common reviews of it being dry), but that the ribs were outstanding. I had also read good reviews on the BBQ pork. Since we stopped in for lunch, I was not in the mood for something as heavy as ribs. My two boys ate burgers and my wife and I ordered fried BBQ pork and BBQ pork respectively. We both had slaw, I had plantains and she had fries.

If you are going to make BBQ, you have to be make sure the product has enough marbling (fat content) to withstand slow cooking and reheating. Otherwise you will have really tough meat. That is why pork shoulder or leg are often used for BBQ - there is a substantial amount of marbling in that area of the pig.

I am not really sure what area of the pig was used for the BBQ pork and fried BBQ pork. It was certainly meaty and the flavor was typical of island BBQ. Unfortunately, it was dry and hard. Descriptions of this product being "pulled" are not accurate. It was a cut and cubed product. Pieces of it that had streaks of fat in it were OK, but those were far and few between. Under no circumstances would I recommend those two items.

The plantains were also an issue. I often see plantains prepared sliced or chunked and then caramelized. These were sort of a thick cut version of a plantain chip. I would have no issue with that, but a cardinal sin was committed - the plantains were not ripe. Since they were in no way seasoned, they were just chewy and flavorless. Combined with the tough pork it was a deal breaker that could not be overcome by the fresh and tasty slaw.

Everyone who has been there knows the view is the outstanding and the owners are kind. I will absolutely go back again and try the ribs that everyone is raving about while enjoying the world-class view and solid frozen drinks. At this time, however, I think all would be best served by avoiding the plantains and the boneless pork offerings.

1 Thank ACB
“Great BBQ with other worldly view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

The view is stupendous. The BBQ ribs are great as well and very tender with a nice slow cook. A must stop if you are on Virgin Gorda looking for casual great food with a view you will never forget.

San Antonio, Texas
“A MUST SEE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Service was okay...nothing special for the isands...but the view...OH MY the view...this is a must see and must stop!!

Visited April 2013
New York, New York, United States
“Best BBQ on Virgin Gorda”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Can't beat the view - the food was amazing. We had ribs, chicken and the pork (which was the best). Truly a must-do experience if you are mooring at Leverick Bay or staying somewhere on the island. Really worth the trip!

• Visited March 2013