“book it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virgin Gorda
Guavaberry Spring Bay Vacation Homes
Cleveland, Ohio
“book it”
Reviewed January 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I are avid travelers and do tons of research on TA before making our final reservations. For our vacation last March (2010) we split our time between Virgin Gorda and St. John, USVI. Virgin Gorda is the epitome of a private vacation. Very few tourists were on the island and the vibe is very low key. I highly recommend Guavaberry and the Spanish town side of the island for its convenience to the market, good restaurants, Baths, etc.

We arrived late on the fast ferry from Tortola and we had a driver waiting for us at the harbor. We rented a car starting the following morning, which I suggest you do if you want to see the other parts of the island on your own time. It was pretty affordable, Guavaberry made the arrangements beforehand, and it was dropped off at our house.

Commissary was great, well stocked, priced right and had almost everything we were looking for (the other couple items we got in the market right beside the harbor). Internet available in main building, along with lots of board games/books that you can sign out (it did rain on/off a couple days). Our hut had a small space for our car and the kitchen was stocked with all cookware/utensils.

Our hut was higher on the hillside but we enjoyed the breeze and short walk to Spring Bay beach every day. Awesome boulders, awesome views, great beach and location. We are in our mid 20s and found this place to be an amazing time out before going to more touristy St. John.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank risseskissez

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Road Town, Tortola
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We live on Tortola and went to Virgin Gorda and stayed at Guavaberry Spring Bay for 2 nights. I loved that our house had a huge boulder right next to it, with a little access ramp so you could climb onto it and check out the view! The house was great, the only things I didn't like was the amount of bugs that seemed to get inside at night and the bed was really soft and not the most comfortable.

We enjoyed being able to use the Commissionary whenever we wanted and liked that we could use the beach towels and return them and get fresh ones every day. Also, we arrived on the island at 9.30am and were allowed to check in to our room straight away and on our last day, we were told we didn't have to check out until we had to catch the 4.30pm ferry. I've never experienced that in any hotel, it made our stay really easy and enjoyable. I was also impressed at how the manager booked our ferry for us, arranged for the taxi to pick us up and drop us off at the ferry and also arranged our rental car. It was the easiest holiday I have ever planned, I didn't have to do a thing!

We went to the Baths the first day, such a short easy walk from Guavaberry. The next day we hired a car and explored the island and we both agreed that the part of the island where we were staying was the nicest - you can't beat those awesome boulders. Our last day was spent snorkelling at Spring Bay and exploring the Baths again. The Baths, Spring Bay, and Devil's Bay are all gorgeous beaches and to have them within a short walking distance from Guavaberry was fantastic.

I will definately be going back to Virgin Gorda soon and I won't be staying anywhere else but Guavaberry!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sophie1941
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary with a trip to Virgin Gorda. We usually spend our money on attractions and restaurants rather than lodging (after all, we're not on vacation to hang out in our room), but we decided to splurge and go with one of the "luxury" rentals at Guavaberry, Las Brisas Casita. We were not disappointed. The casita is absolutely beautiful - and perfect for a couple. I knew that the home did not have air conditioning, but we had zero problems with that (the breeze was delightful and, if we were ever too hot, we just jumped in the pool!) As others have mentioned, the landscaping was beautiful, and the casita was super-private (even though it was located steps from the main path to the Baths).

The staff at Guavaberry Spring Bay was fantastic to work with - they answered all of my questions before the trip (I had MANY!), and they helped make our stay truly relaxing... The arranged for taxis, made reservations at local restaurants, took care of our car rentals and more. I can't say enough about how helpful and kind they were.

The commissary was great - it provided all the food we needed (although, as others have mentioned, no fresh produce - we were OK with frozen and canned produce for a week). Open 24 hours a day! The Casita is probably about a 10 minute walk to the commissary.

Guavaberry's beach was lovely - we liked it even better than the Baths.

My husband is a huge climber, and Guavaberry even provided him with a free crash pad, so he could boulder to his heart's content (while I read on the beach).

We travel a lot, and we rarely say we're going to visit the same place twice (there's too much to see!) However, we're already making plans to return to Virgin Gorda - and we will definitely be staying at Guavaberry, and hopefully our little Casita. Our 10th anniversary was everything we hoped it would be - and more. I would totally recommend Guavaberry overall, and I especially loved the Casita. If you are a couple and are considering a nice getaway, pay a little extra and stay in the Casita. You will be glad you did!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 15glaser
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 23, 2010

My husband & I rented a two bedroom apartment with another couple for four days. The apartment was clean and spacious. We each had our own bedroom and bathroom. The bedrooms are separated by the kitchen/sitting area so each set of couples had plenty of privacy. Although, our apartment was about two blocks from the ocean, we had a nice view of the ocean from our deck. We used the commissary several times and found the prices to be equivalent and sometimes even cheaper than in town. They have chairs and floaties available to use at the beach. We took a taxi from the ferry dock the first day and then rented a car for the next three days. I would definitely return to Guavaberry the next time I am in Virgin Gorda.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank stjohnbeachlover
Huntsville, TX
Reviewed June 30, 2010

We stayed at Guavaberry the middle of May. We had been to the Baths once before and really enjoyed it and from pictures and reviews on the internet, I thought this was a perfect place for us to spend three days.

I had asked for an air conditioned one room house nearest to the water. I am sure that is what we were given, but it was still about a quarter of a mile or so from the beach and the office. I had a bad knee, compouded by the fact that I twisted it getting into the taxi, but when we got to the office, Valerie fixed up some ice packs, and that helped alot.
When the room was ready Valerie took us to the room and told us some of the particulars, but she did not check out the air conditioner. We could not figure out how to make it work, so we walked to the office (this was the only way to get in touch with the office, since our cell phone did not work here) and were given a remote to work it with. We went to the beach, and when we got back the office was closed, and the air conditioner was not cooling. It was a little warm that night, but not unbearable. The next day, we were given credit for the air-conditioner part of the rental, and after working on the unit for a good part of the day, they had it fixed and working. They handled the situation well, but we thought that should have been checked out and fixed before the rental of the unit.

The rental itself was really great. We did have to climb stairs to get to the room, but I was able to do that pretty well inspite of my knee. It was very peaceful and quiet, and little brown birds would come to the railing of the deck and beg for crumbs. The view of the ocean and boulders were breathtaking. My husband was able to grill meals, (chicken, steak, and hamburgers from the commisary) so that we did not have to have a car or eat out. The commissary is a wonderful amenity, and allowed us to pick up food for our meals without taking a taxi into town. We knew that they did not have fresh fruits or vegetables, so we got what of that we needed in town before we came to Guavaberry.

It was a fairly easy walk to the Baths, and also a short snorkel to the baths. I love to snorkel and could never really get a good idea of the snorkel distance before we went, but it is probably only about 100 yards or so. There was a little current that day, but I made it there and back without any problems.

The grounds were just beautiful. They have landscaped mixing flowering plants with the boulders and native plants so very nicely, and they really work to keep the grounds looking pretty.

Even with the few problems mentioned, I would not hesitate to return to Guavaberry if we ever decide to go back to Virgin Gorda. The managers/workers were all really nice and helpful, and the stay at the cottage was very relaxing and peaceful.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GrandmaP2
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We went in to Guavaberry with high expectations - we have been to Virgin Gorda before and knew we loved the area, there was nothing but great reviews on TripAdvisor...

Everyone was great in our planning stages - quick and clear answers to all of our questions and inquiries. Valerie was great during our day of travel to get there - after a mechanical delay on our flight, she guided us through several missed ferries, then was there to meet us when we finally got there late on a Saturday night. The car rental guy (also arranged through Guavaberry) met us at the late ferry on Saturday night, and led us all the way to the Guavaberry office, then came to our cottage the next morning to do paperwork...VERY nice and made things as stress free as possible (after a long day of travel).

Unfortunately, from the moment we pulled up to our cottage, we realized that we didn't luck out on neighbors. Although the cottages are visually very private, there are several cottages grouped together in a very small space...so, if you happen to have loud neighbors (as we did), there is no place to hide. Not that they were obnoxious, but we go to Virgin Gorda for the peace and tranquility you get from travelling to a hard to get to island. Bottom line - worse than noise in a typical hotel because it's all open-air. But the views were spectacular (we stayed in Guavaberry).

Mosquitoes were horrible. We have more bites on us than we'd get on a camping trip!! Granted, it was a very rainy week. We are used to the trade winds in the North Sound, which didn't exist on the southern end. No wind, warm temps, lots of rain, and tons of mosquitoes. Bring your mosquito coils (as others have mentioned) - easily packed in carry ons, and they work well, especially with no winds. We also had to invest in mosquito spray from the commisary. We HATE using A/C on vacation in the Caribbean, but luckily the cottage we rented (Guavaberry) had A/C - as I mentioned, no trade winds...we used the a/c most of the nights we were there (it also blocked out neighbor noise and reduces mosquito bites overnight).

Lunches at Mineshaft (one of the best burgers we've ever had and a spectacular view) and Top of the Baths (OK food and nice view, but not any nicer than from our cottage) and Leverick Bay (relaxing and quiet, food OK). Alcohol selection at commisary and Bucks market (as well as at the Wine Cellar) was lacking... if you have a favorite wine or specific drink you want to make, you might want to consider taking your own, or have multiple options depending on which alcohol you can get. We have stayed at places in the USVI that have their own kitchens, and we loved cooking our own meals...but the selection of food was better in the USVI than Virgin Gorda. Ribeyes from Bucks were yummy though.

The dogs at Guavaberry were one of the best parts for me...Pearl and Soca were always there to greet us whenever we walked down to the beach. We liked to walk down at night when it was cooler and quieter. The dogs would meet us near the office and go down to the beach with us - never letting us out of their sight on the way down. It was like having our own dogs with us on vacation. Total sweethearts that only made our trip more enjoyable. We'll definitely miss the dogs!

Overall, the folks in the office were very responsive, and did everything they could to make our trip to the island as stress free as possible. We had a problem with the water heater, and it was fixed within hours. The cottage itself is fairly clean, but could use some updating (fresh coat of paint on the walls or mildew spray in the shower, non-stick pans in the kitchen??) - views were awesome, close proximity to other cottages made them less private (more from a sound standpoint than visual). Good value on price, but while on the island we found out that some of the higher end properties are currently offering prices close to the same with some meals included. It pays to ask...

The Spring Bay beach is beautiful... If the water is rough, walk up the beach to the Crawl...our last day was so rough we didn't dare get in the water to snorkel - walked up to the Crawl and snorkelled with no trouble and no one else around. We are very glad we rented a jeep for the week - not only for trips to the store, but for lunches elsewhere and so we could see other areas of the island.

If we return to Virgin Gorda, we'll stay elsewhere. If we want a cottage that allows us to cook our own food but don't care what island we go to, we'd go to Cottages by the Sea on St Croix. If you specifically want to be on the south end of the island, it's a good location and other than noisy neighbors and mosquitoes, it wasn't too bad. Folks in the office were outstanding on customer service.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank catfan3333
Chicago
Reviewed April 14, 2010

My boyfriend, his 11-year-old son and I stayed five nights in the Cashew cottage and had a nearly perfect stay. Since there were no two-bedroom cottages available, we had a cot brought into the dining side of the two-room cottage and it worked out fine. We had all the comforts of home -- electricity, hot shower, cooking utensils and dishes. And the place was cleaned every day. The back deck has a nice view of the sunset and we played board games on the back table at night.

The honor-system grocery store next to the front office has most of what you might need in terms of food and toiletries.

The only drawback was some ants, but they were easily taken care of with a can of insecticide provided with the cottage. I suggest spraying some Off around your bed at night to deter other kinds of insects. The cottage also had some plug-in insect repellent devices, but they weren't needed.

I suggest renting a car because the island's destinations are not all within walking distance of the cottage. There are some spectacular mountainside roads on the island. But watch out for goats!

The cry of wild roosters could be heard throughout the day. There were beautiful roosters, hens and chicks to be seen everywhere.

When we returned home we realized we left our jackets and the manager mailed them right to us. Very nice.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in West End
Mango Bay Resort
Mango Bay Resort
#2 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Guavaberry Spring Bay Vacation Homes? Share your experiences!