“Absolutely wonderful!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
DC
“Absolutely wonderful!”
Reviewed May 19, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Mango bay from 4/30 - 5/3 for our friend's wedding, and I cannot possibly say enough positive things about this place! The property is stunning, the suites are beautiful and perfectly sized, well decorated with a modern aesthetic, and very comfortable. We shared a two bedroom suite with another couple, and there was more than enough room for four of us, including 2 lovely bedrooms, a common room, 2 full bathrooms, and a large porch with a full kitchen. To top it all off, we were literally 10 yards, tops, from one of the most beautful beaches we saw in our whole week in the VIs. Mahoe Bay, where the resort is located, is protected by a large reef, so the beach is quiet, the boats stay far, far away, and the snorkeling right there in front of the resort is excellent. There are floating mats and kayaks available free of charge beachside, and snorkeling gear available, also free, at the office. The staff is lovely, with daily maid service, and Pallina and Gino were super friendly and accomodating. The price (we paid about $260 a night, per couple for the Ocean View Suite) was a total steal for the level of comfort and beauty we got.

The only even remotely negative thing I can say is that because the kitchen is outdoors (which is actually lovely, since you can cook dinner while watching the spectacular sun set directly across the bay), the flame on the stove blows around, which makes cooking things that require even heat a little difficult. Just bear that in mind while grocery shopping.

This is not a resort with a ton of amenities like room service, fitness centers, etc. But if you're willing to forgo that, which you should when you have that beach in front of you all the time, you'll get an incredibly beautiful, relaxing stay. We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank megara1028

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I stayed at Mango bay resort in virgin gorda for 3 nights as part of my honeymoon to the virgin Islands. Virgin Gorda is very different from St Thomas. It is very serence, beautiful and secluded. Mango Bay was the right touch to Virgin Gorda. It has a lot of character with a beautiful garden and along an extremely beautiful beach. the beach is protected by a reef and is very god for snorkeling. There is a very nice restaurant called Georgios table on the property which is very pricey but extremely nice. Costed me a couple of hundred bucks for a nice dinner for both of us.

the room was nice with a small kitchen and bed room. They had flowers on the bed when we arrived. Gino the owner of the resort is extremely nice and helped us out in every way possible.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank kiratan
georgia
Reviewed April 26, 2009

On a recent visit to Virigin Gorda we visited Mango Bay and asked to see a unit on the beach. The beachfront units were occupied so we were shown an garden unit and were told they were the same.
Based on that we booked the beachfront unit for next year.
A few days later we bumped into some friends on the island and they told us that they were staying in a beachfront at Mango Bay and invited us to visit.
We were very surprised to see that the unit we had rented was much different than the one we where shown. The differences included, no oven, no dresser in the bedroom, no shower curtain, basically the unit was very bare. They also told us that no kleenex or paper towel was supplied. This seemed a bit bare bones for $300 a night off season.
We contacted Mango Bay and they answered that we were shown a two bedroom and we were renting a one bedroom. I am not sure what that has to do with an oven, dresser, and shower curtain?
Our original reservation was for 3 weeks and I decided I would not be happy there for that long and we quickly amended the reservation to one week.

Due to the economy I had to cancel this reservation at Mango Bay.

I canceled this reservation 9 months in advance of the stay date and sent a very nice email explaining the circumstances.

I received a timely reply that they would refund the balance of my deposit after deducting $300.00 (equal to one nights stay). If they had done what they had promised this would be the end of the story.

Three weeks later the credit had not been applied to my credit card and I sent an inquiry.

After another 4 days they finally claimed to put thru the credit.

Two weeks later the credit was still not on my card, so I wrote them again and asked if they could help me with this.

The reply from Gino, the manager was beyond rude. He told me that there was nothing more they could do and the problem was with my bank. He also ranted about how I had changed the reservation before and he had not charged me to do so. There was nothing about a charge for a reservation change in their contract. I have never heard of anyone charging for a reservation change, especially 11 months in advance.
He is very difficult to deal with when you are not giving him money.

Two weeks later the credit finally appeared with my credit card company.

My issues here are that I had to ask twice for my credit, and that Gino was nasty.

what I learned from this is: beware of resorts that do not take american express. the reason I say this is that if this charge had been on my american express and I had sent them copies of the emails they would have charged back the merchant and it would not have been my problem.

I will never book with someone that has such a stiff cancelation policy again. $300 is a lot of money with so much notice on the cancelation. You would have thought that they could have been more accommodating being they got $300 for basically nothing.

I know the economy is bad and many resorts are suffering, but so are we their customers. It is in times like these that we can separate them based on customer service.

When we next visit Virgin Gorda (and we will) you can rest assured we will NOT stay at Mango Bay.

Their attitude and customer no service will come back to haunt them good times or bad.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
14 Thank sharonzs
Connecticut
Reviewed April 23, 2009

KIS....Keep It Simple. This best explanes Mango Bay, and Virgin Gorda.
We called at the last minute, and with a booking in hand - flew to St Thomas, and took the Ferry to Virgin Gorda, Spanish Town.
We arrived at 9.00pm in the dark...and everything was as it should be...taxi waiting at dock, resturant booked, and villa clean and waiting.
The Villas are clean and simple, the beach is white, with great Views of "The Dogs". The sunset is an event every evening.
There is no crime on VG, there are no locks on any doors, and keys are always left in cars.
Mango Bay has no resturant service, so you will cook in, or eat out. Rent a car to see the Island, and relax.
We spent 2 weeks and have only one complaint, the resturants are expensive and the food is average. Eat at the local hangouts, and the food is cheap and cheerful....much better.
The Baths are a MUST.
Gino and Paulina who run Mango Bay do a great job.
Note. WiFi at the resort is patchy, but fine at every bar on the Island. We will be returning!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jay767
new york
Reviewed April 8, 2009

First the positives: Mango Bay is well located, beautiful and well maintained. The villas are pretty, clean and comfortable. The maid service is excellent. The beach, though narrow, is great. Gino seemed to be an affable and pleasant host.
Now for the negatives: when we booked, Gino recommended that we take Air Sunshine from San Juan to Virgin Gorda. We followed this advise, had terrible experiences and heard from many others that it has a terrible reputation. (details are set forth in Virgin Gorda Forum).
When we left Virgin Gorda, we did not have a chance to tell Gino that we had a wonderful stay. So, we did so via email when we arrived back home. In this email, we thought it appropriate to let him know that the only part of the vacation that was unpleasant was dealing with Air Sunshine and suggested he think twice about recommending it to others in the future. We sent an email to Air Sunshine to complain but did not copy Gino. Much to our surprise, Gino forwarded to us copies of emails that he sent to Air Sunshine and that they sent to him. Air Sunshine's email to Gino was a self serving and dismissive account of our experience. Unfortunately, Trip Advisor permits only a paraphrase, not a quote, of Gino's shockig reply to them. He thanked them and said he knew we were grossly exaggerating the situation! He then went on to say he would be flying with them very soon and knew there would be no problems. This is how you treat your paying guests? What led Gino to the conclusion that Air Sunshine was correct and that we were less than honest?? We wrote to Gino to express our dismay at this insulting betrayal of his paying guests but have received no apology. We found his behavior in this regard to be both strange and unprofessional, which is a shame because we so enjoyed our stay at Mango Bay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank debbielar
MangoBayBVI, Guests Services Supervisor at Mango Bay Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2009
Unfortunately guests had a bad experience flying with Air Sunshine which is by no means related to our resort.
All travel options were explained, no special reccomendation was made and when complaining to us about their bad experience we even forwarded a complaint to the airline which resulted to have no ground because we had been deliberately missinformed about arrival time. This was clarified by the airline quie satistactorily.
We are sad that a bad flight experience "ruined" their vacation but belileve there are no compaints about our property and services which is what we manage and what is supposed to be posted on this site. We do not provide nor handle flights nor can asume responsibility over them.
Gino Russo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 16, 2009

My wife and I visited Mango Bay to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We were looking for an off the beaten path beach location. We looked into villas but felt a beach suite at Mango Bay was a better value and offered all that we wanted. We were not disappointed. Everything you read about Gino is true. He's the best.

Our trip to Virgin Gorda was not without troubles, but once we arrived everything was perfect. Our flight into San Juan was delayed due to airline equipment. Unfortunately we missed our Air Sunshine flight to Virgin Gorda and spent our first night in San Juan. We rented a car through Mango Bay and were glad we did. It was nice to have the freedom to explore the island whenever you're inclined.

As other reviews indicate, there are no locks on the doors at Mango Bay which does take a bit to get used to. But we were never concerned about security or theft anywhere on the island, including Mango Bay. We had reserved a one bedroom beach front suite but were upgraded to a two bedroom unit. It was fabulous. Definitely fine for two couples enjoying a week on the beach. More than enough for the two of us. You can view a video walkthrough of the unit I posted on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wjT1jBZhK4

There is wifi at Mango Bay but I could not get a quality signal at our unit. I drove up the hill to the resort office and connected from the parking lot. Excellent signal, strong and fast enough to do Skype phone calls home to check on the kids.

The grocery stores on the island have the essentials but you may find they're out of some items. On our first trip (Sunday) to the grocery store they were out of milk, OJ, bread, etc. But no problem, everything was in stock the next day.

We did the resort course for scuba diving at Leverick Bay, provided by Dive BVI, and had a wonderful time. We enjoyed it enough we went back a second day to complete our certification. It was a bit more reading and studying than we had planned but in the end were still glad we did it. The instructors at Dive BVI were very friendly, knowledgeable and patient.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gimmesunandsand
Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We had never been to Virgin Gorda before, so when booking this reservation, I depended highly on recommendations from Trip Advisor. We were not disapointed!
We stayed in a Beach Suite (#10) that was only a few steps from the pristine beach. We were greeted with tropical flower arrangements both on the patio table and inside the living room area.The patio was very comfortable; a great place to get out of the sun and read, as well as a fully equiped kitchen including microwave, stove, coffee maker, and a blender to make tropical drinks. The beds were very comfortable; two day beds in one room and a king size bed in the bedroom. The bathroom was large and spotlessly clean with two sinks and a walk in shower. Daily maid service was excellent with clean fluffy towels provided for both bath and beach (yoiu don't need to bring beach towels or snorkel equipment as Mango Bay provides these items free of charge for the guests). There is a nice reef right in Mahoe Bay for snorkeling. We saw tropical fish, squid, and sea urchins. My son and husband used the kyacks daily to tour the bay, and there was never lack of lounge chairs or hammocks, even when the resort was fully booked.
I provided Gino with a small grocery list before our arrival, so our frig was stocked with staples when we arrived. There are several small grocery stores on the island, but we preferred Buck's and Rosy's markets for most of our supplies. We did eat out several times while on VG, but found that The Rock Cafe was overpriced, the food was not that great (fish was overcooked and tough), and the service was poor. The best meals we had were at The Mine Shaft Cafe (look for BBQ night buffet) and at a local place across from the cash and carry market that offered an assortment of BBQ items and side dishes for a very inexpensive price Wednesday nights (we got ribs, chicken, and two sides apiece for only $25).
We did the hike to VG Peak, which is best done early in the day before it heats up too much. Make sure you have sturdy shoes to do this, as the trail is fairly rugged. It is well worth the work for the 360 degree view from the tower.
The Baths and Devil's Bay Beach were also a bit of work to get to, but well worth it. Plan on arriving early (the park opens at 9am) because by 11am, the Baths and Devil's Bay are swarming with cruise ship patrons, who arrive by both small boats and tour buses.
Next trip we will bring less luggage. You not only need less here, but the extra baggage charges really piled up. Liat Air charged us $60 for each extra bag, including a small a cooler we brought along, and US Air charges $15 a bag, with $60 for each additional bag. We found we could get by with much less clothing, as well as use the masks and fins provided by the resort.
I would also recommend North Sound Ferry over Speedy's. North Sound Ferry is close to the airport at Tortola (Beef Island), has helpful employees, and provides a free shuttle to the airport. Speedy's Ferry requires a long, expensive taxi ride to the airport, and does not help with your bags. We rented a jeep from Speedy's however, and they were very helpful and reasonably priced. You can leave your jeep at either ferry location with the keys in the ashtray when departing.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Frenchmans
Frenchmans
#1 of 2 in West End
Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel

Been to Mango Bay Resort? Share your experiences!