My wife and I booked a one week vacation thru Mango Bay based upon Trip Advisor reviews. It included a two bedroom duplex villa, small SUV, 2 massages and dinner for two at a very nice restaurant. The villa included a full kitchen/living room, large bathroom with two person jacuzzi, two bedrooms and a covered patio with table and chairs for six, two incredibly comfortable loungers and a charcoal grill. This was a garden view villa which was 100' from the beach. The path to the beach meandered thru hibiscus, cactus and palm. Never did we regret not having a beachfront unit. Mahoe Bay is beautiful. You look out over multi hued turquoise water toward the distant Islands. The whole area is a sailing mecca so there were always yachts in the distance.
This is a very small and quiet resort with very few amenities. There is no restaurant (closed due to a rockslide and not expected to open soon), no pool, no bar, no wifi. It does offer kayaks, chaise lounges and snorkeling equipment. There is a large reef 75' from shore that provides amazing coral formations and a variety of smaller fish. The water clarity was slightly off but fine for snorkeling. There are a few high end villas on the property that were magnificent, however; we were not dissapointed with what we had.
A few things we would change: only the bedrooms are air conditioned. We felt muggy the first night in the living room but soon adjusted and were not bothered by the lack of air conditioning. We could not lock our screen or slider. This bothered me the first few nights. We were told there is no crime on the Island and not to worry but I would have preferred to be able to lock the slider. There was a lock on the bedroom door. Once again after a few nights It did not bother me. Wifi would have been nice. You had to go into town to get connected. I was told that this is being worked on and there will be Wifi soon at the resort. Housekeeping could have done a better job. The showers could have been cleaner but they did wash our dishes which surprised me.
The Island is not a place to go to if you need to be entertained. There is little to do unless you are somewhat adventurous. You can snorkle, swim, hike and take boat trips. It is a great place for couples but teenagers would be bored. It is a beautiful Island. It is hilly which provides fabulous views. The roads are narrow, steep, curvy, often paved and always exhilirating and scenic. It is an Island of speed bumps.
We were not impressed with the food. We ate at all the recommended places and while the atmosphere was often attractive the food was mediocore. You will spend a lot. There is not a single franchise to be found. There is no straw market and very few tourist shops. Fabulous!
We flew into St. Thomas then took the ferry to Tortola and finally to Virgin Gorda. It was a long day. There is a very small airstrip on the Island but flights from St. Thomas or Puerto Rico are expensive. You will want a car on the Island unless you do not plan to venture out.
This trip was perfect. My wife and I are in our 50's and wanted something different than the usual resort with all the amenities. There was a part of us that was nervous since Mango Bay offers very little in this regard. Gino, the manager assured us we would not be dissapointed and he was correct. We will go back again but this time it will be for much longer than one week.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mango Bay Resort adheres to a strong commitment to serve our guests and make sure they enjoy their luxury beach vacation at its fullest. We strive to deliver what we promise to all our guests: a caring and attentive management and friendly staff who will accommodate any guest requests or needs. Mango Bay Resort is a small and cozy yet easygoing luxury resort that provides all the necessities needed for the finest Caribbean vacation. We strive to provide a quiet, peaceful and tranquil location for all of our visitors to enjoy ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Mango Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mango Bay Hotel Virgin Gorda
- Mango Bay Virgin Gorda
- Mango Bay Resort Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands