“Exceeded our expectations”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
Connecticut
“Exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed January 29, 2009

My wife and I booked a one week vacation thru Mango Bay based upon Trip Advisor reviews. It included a two bedroom duplex villa, small SUV, 2 massages and dinner for two at a very nice restaurant. The villa included a full kitchen/living room, large bathroom with two person jacuzzi, two bedrooms and a covered patio with table and chairs for six, two incredibly comfortable loungers and a charcoal grill. This was a garden view villa which was 100' from the beach. The path to the beach meandered thru hibiscus, cactus and palm. Never did we regret not having a beachfront unit. Mahoe Bay is beautiful. You look out over multi hued turquoise water toward the distant Islands. The whole area is a sailing mecca so there were always yachts in the distance.
This is a very small and quiet resort with very few amenities. There is no restaurant (closed due to a rockslide and not expected to open soon), no pool, no bar, no wifi. It does offer kayaks, chaise lounges and snorkeling equipment. There is a large reef 75' from shore that provides amazing coral formations and a variety of smaller fish. The water clarity was slightly off but fine for snorkeling. There are a few high end villas on the property that were magnificent, however; we were not dissapointed with what we had.
A few things we would change: only the bedrooms are air conditioned. We felt muggy the first night in the living room but soon adjusted and were not bothered by the lack of air conditioning. We could not lock our screen or slider. This bothered me the first few nights. We were told there is no crime on the Island and not to worry but I would have preferred to be able to lock the slider. There was a lock on the bedroom door. Once again after a few nights It did not bother me. Wifi would have been nice. You had to go into town to get connected. I was told that this is being worked on and there will be Wifi soon at the resort. Housekeeping could have done a better job. The showers could have been cleaner but they did wash our dishes which surprised me.
The Island is not a place to go to if you need to be entertained. There is little to do unless you are somewhat adventurous. You can snorkle, swim, hike and take boat trips. It is a great place for couples but teenagers would be bored. It is a beautiful Island. It is hilly which provides fabulous views. The roads are narrow, steep, curvy, often paved and always exhilirating and scenic. It is an Island of speed bumps.

We were not impressed with the food. We ate at all the recommended places and while the atmosphere was often attractive the food was mediocore. You will spend a lot. There is not a single franchise to be found. There is no straw market and very few tourist shops. Fabulous!

We flew into St. Thomas then took the ferry to Tortola and finally to Virgin Gorda. It was a long day. There is a very small airstrip on the Island but flights from St. Thomas or Puerto Rico are expensive. You will want a car on the Island unless you do not plan to venture out.

This trip was perfect. My wife and I are in our 50's and wanted something different than the usual resort with all the amenities. There was a part of us that was nervous since Mango Bay offers very little in this regard. Gino, the manager assured us we would not be dissapointed and he was correct. We will go back again but this time it will be for much longer than one week.

• Liked — Location, quiet, on site snorkeling and full kitchen
  • Disliked — Nothing worth mentioning
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Nick4u

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
On the move
Reviewed December 16, 2008

This lovely, lush resort is a wonderful retreat when you need to seriously unplug. As so many others have noted, Gino manages the place with utter grace, graciousness and efficiency, going far out of his way to ensure guests have a wonderful time. We had to rearrange our schedule very late in the process and Gino was incredibly accommodating when he really didn't have to be -- we'll forever be grateful for his help in saving our long overdue and much-needed vacation.

Mango Bay's location is ideal: close enough to town to make running in for a meal or errands easy, but far enough out that you're in beautiful country. The beach is only a few steps away from even the farthest units, and it's a great beach, too, with nice snorkeling, fine sand, a longish stretch for walking and gorgeous views of the nearby Dogs. Sit on your wonderful covered porch (you'll spend a LOT of time on it) in the morning and check out the hummingbirds plying the hibiscus; relax there in the evening and watch the moon rise over the mountain. These immaculate, well-planned units are comfortable and tasteful without being overly luxurious...exactly what we wanted. The place has everything you need and nothing you don't. We enjoyed our cozy living room, breezy bedroom (great bed!) and pretty bathroom with light-filled shower, and thought the outdoor kitchen was perfect. It's stocked with a four-burner stove, microwave, coffeemaker, toaster, blender, full fridge, charcoal grill, and all the dishes and tools you might need -- even a salad spinner! The fresh flowers in the unit, snipped from the property's many gorgeous plantings, were lovely. The terrific housekeeping staff, including the warm and charming Mary, kept replacing them for us throughout the week. When I say that the only improvement I can think of is a hook or two in the bathroom, this shows how thoughtfully designed these units really are.

You could happily spend a week on the beach right in front of the resort, using the kayaks and floats and lounging in the hammocks and chaises, but don't miss the island's other good beaches. We really liked Devil's Bay next to the Baths (take the path from the left of the parking lot and avoid the crowds in the Baths proper, but do go early or late in the day to miss the cruise ship masses), Spring Bay on the other side of the Baths and the very long, beautiful and quiet Savannah Bay. When you need a break from the beach, the hike up Gorda Peak is wooded and peaceful. We drove over to North Sound one day to check out the views and Leverick Bay. Wherever you go on VG, the people are friendly and the pace laid back.

The week-long Just for Two Package is a very good value, essentially throwing in your rental 4WD vehicle for free. The package also includes a dinner for two at the Rock Cafe, a very welcome touch since the island's restaurants are, on average, pricier than in the USVI and, I think, on Tortola. We often cooked for ourselves to save money and to be low key, but in addition to the Rock Cafe, we enjoyed Top of the Baths, the Nail Bay Grill, the Bath and Turtle Pub and Chez Bamboo (and the excellent coladas at Mad Dog's by the Baths). Grocery options are a little limited and prices reflect the difficulty of shipping things in, so budget accordingly. We liked Buck's at the marina for most groceries, and Supa Valu across from the police station for fresh produce (it comes in on Mondays, so go on Tuesday if you can). Done over, we'd probably pack fewer clothes -- all VG restaurants are casual with the exception of those at the luxury resorts -- and a few more supplies: salt and pepper, condiments, aluminum foil, paper napkins, etc. Don't forget plenty of books and/or magazines for those long, lazy days.

A few days at Mango Bay will soothe even the most work-wearied nerves. No stress can survive the vision of stoplight parrotfish, blue tangs and turtles as you ease along the patch reef, and the sounds of the surf and the tree frogs as you drift off at night. The phenomenal management and staff make this place very special indeed. Go!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Ambulatory
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 25, 2008

I highly planned for this trip and did a lot of research and this place seemed to be the highly recommended. I can now see why. I initially wanted an all inclusive trip. But BVI really doesnt offer any places like that. So I chose to go with Mango Bay and was not dissapointed. The service and location are outstanding.

The room we rented was I believe the best one Mango Bay offers. It was a beach front suite. The sand and beach was like 10 feet away from our porch. When you see photos of the water and scenery here it doesnt give it justice. Its like a dream world here. The water different vibrant colors. The mountainous islands in the backdrop. It was just unbelievable. There were stingrays that would come up to shore. I counted 8 at one time. A huge assortment of fish of all colors and sizes. I finally found the famed Sea Turtle that lives in the reef in Mahoe Bay the 4th day I was there. Tons of coral. So many things I am forgetting I am sure.

I spent a ton of time in the water. It must have been 80 degree in temperature. I snorkeled 5 of the 7 days my fiance and I spent there. And I must say Mahoe Bay where Mango Bay is situated has the best offshore snorkeling in Virgin Gorda that I have encountered. I also would just chill in the water with a beer and that was great as well.

On to the room. The porch we had was great. It had plenty of beach lounge chairs. A picnic table. An outdoor shower. Everyday the footbath water was changed. The maidstaff was great. They made the place look brand new everyday. The living room was just right. 2 couches. A television with Satellite service. A nice marble table. A bookshelf with an assortment of books. A cd player. Just right.

The kitchen had a nice size fridge. A huge kitchen table. Microwave, toaster over, a regular oven, all the plates, cups and utensils we could need. We bought food from Bucks market and stocked our fridge for the week. Expensive. But we knew that ahead of time. No big deal. Always be prepared.

The bathroom was fine as well. Big enough for us. Nice sink and huge mirror. Nice size bathtub. No shower curtain. No big deal. Throw down a towel and its all good.

The bedroom was great. Nice bed with comfy pillows. A kicking air conditoner. I need this in order to sleep. Huge closet space.

The grounds at Mango Bay were awesome. Tons of palm trees and flowers of different colors everywhere.

Lastly I want to comment on the staff. Gino and Paola are just awesome. The airline company lost our checked bags when we arrived and Gino called the airline and got our bags delivered to us on the North Sound ferry the next day. Paola was always there to answer any questions we may have had. Top notch service all around. Before we arrived Gino and Paola would answer any and all emails I sent. Kudos to both of them for making our stay just fabulous.

This was the best vacation I ever had and Mango is highly recommended. I will be back without a doubt. I will post a full trip review on the message board and have photos up soon.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank nexusreplicant
Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 21, 2008

Simply outstanding. The location is great (except for that lunar landscape of a road in- 4WD helped!) and Gino and Pallina took wonderful care of us while we were there. Our first night was in a 1BR suite slightly set back from the water- I think it was an Ocean View. I'll post pictures later, but it was very tastefully decorated and the bathroom was straight out of a interior design magazine. The towels, pillows and soap dish were adorned with small red blooms- hibiscus, maybe? Nice touch! There was a bouquet of fresh cut flowers from the grounds placed on our table on the patio outside our living area. Again, elegantly understated. The rest of our nights were spent in unit #10, an ocean front studio. We were out and about our first full day there and the staff at MBR moved everything from our first room to unit 10 for us. Everything...even the groceries we'd bought at Buck's that morning. Now that's service! Our kitchen was outdoors on the patio, which was great once we got some bug spray. The mosquitoes are plentiful and hungry! My wife and I were absolutely covered in bites from the first day and a half. Anyway, we cooked breakfast outside every morning with the waves crashing just a few paces from our room. Perfect. At night, we watched the breathtaking sunsets from the beach or the hammock. It’s also worth a stroll through the grounds to check out the numerous flowering plants and palm trees. It’s like a postcard everywhere you look!

We took advantage of the kayaks, floats and snorkel equipment and spent hours in the water of Mahoe Bay. I couldn't start my day without first seeing the stingrays that patrol the water just off the beach as well as the barracuda that often made an appearance as well. We frequently took a kayak over to a small beach just to the north of the resort and snorkeled the reefs over there.

Hopefully we will be able to return to Virgin Gorda soon. If we do, we will definitely return to Mango Bay.

• Liked — location and service
2 Thank Medium_Tex
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 15, 2008

We stayed for four days in this complex of seaside villas on Virgin Gorda's quiet north side, about 3 miles from the main drag of Spanish Town. For $230 a night we got essentially half a town house: a smartly furnished large living room with shaded porch, galley kitchen, comfortable bathroom and a king bedroom (the only air-conditioned room). The beach 30 yards out front had a fabulous "central casting" view that reminded us of those humorous Corona beer TV ads, with the added attraction of brown pelicans continuously diving for fish 20 yards away and schools of silvery fry jumping out of the water.
Giorgio's Table, a well-regarded Italian restaurant on the property, was closed because of a rock slide so we had to make due with the mixed bag of restaurants in Spanish Town, the best of which was The Rock. More elegant, and much more expensive, dining can be found on the other side of the island, across Gorda Peak, at Saba Rock or Bitter End Yacht Club. Rent a jeep and be ready for steep grades. We enjoyed using the kayaks available on Mango Bay's property, and strongly recommend taking a sunset sail with D&D Charters at Spanish Town's yacht harbor.
The only caveat is the bugs. This is the tropics, and the property had a robust population of mosquitos, gnats, biting ants, no- see-'ums and other manner of pests. Bring copious amounts of insect repellant or you'll find yourself swatting at real and imaginary things with rolled-up New Yorkers. The horror! The horror!

• Liked — The secluded location, lovely beach and the views.
  • Disliked — Not enough insect control.
3 Thank abettel
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 17, 2008

This is late but still better then never- we booked this trip last minute, last minute for me is less then 2 months of notice. I book all of our vacations using tripadvisor comments, and again I was not disappointed. The room was the smallest one, the last one available, the studio sufficed for my pregnant wife and I with no problems. Our view was the ocean and palm trees. When we booked our stay we requested a jeep rental which they setup for us and had us picked up from the airport and we whisked away to our stay via the map and friendly directions from the rental "agent".
Mango Bay does not have the swankiest rooms from what we could tell, however they were clean and kept up, they are also close to the water, about 15 feet!
When it comes to Gino, there is nothing we can say except that all concierges/managers should take a few pages from his book. He was great, he had wonderful recommendations and was very informative.
Take the FREE kayaks out, there is a wonderful beach to the west that is only accessible via watercraft. We are seriously considering going back to this establishment with our baby girl. the waters are calm and the rooms are nice, perfect for a child.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dharmadc
san diego
Reviewed September 16, 2008

My fiancee and I stayed at Mango Bay in December 2007 just before peak season began. We both just graduated with our Master's degrees, so we were looking to get away for not a lot of money. We did the Just for Two Package deal with the 1BR Garden Suite. Because a new place was under construction next to Mango Bay, we ended up getting our room upgraded for free to a 2 BR Beach Front Suite, as the Garden Suite had been much closer to the construction. Everything there was perfect. Free snorkel and kayak use whenever you wanted, a beautiful reef you can swim right out to, secluded beaches you can kayak over to or you can just hang out at Mango Bay's own secluded beach, beautiful sunsets, wonderful people visiting and living on the island, and great food at the local restaurants (though food is a bit pricy as it has to be shipped to the island). It was great having a vehicle included in the package (though a bit scary at first because you drive on the British side of the road but the driver sits on the American side of the car) because we could easily make day trips around the island. Looking back, I cannot believe how inexpensive Mango Bay is, especially compared to the other hotels on the island, though the other hotels do have things like spas and such that we did not need. If you want a secluded, romantic or family get-away, I would absolutely recommend Mango Bay. (sorry if I sound like a cheesy infomercial but I simpy loved Mango Bay!) Also, Gino (the guy at the front desk and maybe also the manager? was super nice and really helpful! Thanks for a wonderful, relaxing vacation!

• Liked — Everything was perfect!
  • Disliked — Everything was perfect. Not a single complaint.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in North Sound
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
#1 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Mango Bay Resort? Share your experiences!