“Nice Beach, but don't be picky on cheap accomodations”

Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Virgin Gorda has beautiful beaches and surrounding islands. It's smaller than Tortola, and not much to do other than relax, eat & drink, sail, and swim! I stayed at Fischers Cove w/ husband and 7 yr old after reading the previous reviews. It is less expensive than all other places ON the beach, it's close to town for walking to ferry and market. BUT, if you want quiet at night and are not the most tolerant person, I would recommend staying elsewhere, for a bit more $. The non-A/C family cottage unit is spacious, but with windows open, the music in this main street area at all hours is exhausting. We moved to A/C hotel room to drowned out music, room is very outdated/bordering unhealthy. Towels offered are stained, comforter had blood stain drops on it, sheets had holes, room looked like a flood at some point. Don't get the last farthest unit in hotel near creek/mud basin, with trash floating. If a clean environment with COMFORTABLE bed that's not hard as a rock (with mattress shipping label on it from 11 yrs ago), no ants / cockroaches, and clean towels.... spend a bit more and stay elsewhere. Food nothing spectacular but just as expensive as all other places. Virgin Gorda is gorgeous, especially the Baths / Devil's Bay Beach. Don't miss that !! Don't bother with ferry to Anegada, absolutely NOTHING to see on flat island but 2 beach bars. Find better on Virgin Gorda. Visit to Little Dix Resort for a drink / meal is a MUST. Very expensive, but just gorgeous! Visit Nail Bay area on VG, fun restaurant called SugarCane - restaurant has pool. Food very expensive so just visit with that in mind ! Bamboo Cafe and Rock Cafe are within walking distance from Fishers Cove - good food, just $$... To Virgin Gorda, take North Sound Ferry from Beef Island (Trellis Bay) to Spanish Town / The Valley when visiting....Enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank DGG_10

Reviewed March 15, 2010

The staff was so friendly, pleasant and helpful and it was right on a nice small beach and grounds. This is not your average resort (which is why we chose this place) but very low key and simple accommodations. Great location to get around. The rates for these rooms were great. Our first few nights were in a first floor room in the small hotel and the last couple of nights in a cottage. We spent minimal time in the hotel room because it just wasn’t inviting (could use quite a bit of updating/sprucing up). Also the walls were a bit thin so we could hear the TV (wanting TV on vacation is beyond me) and neighbors talking. Having the air conditioning was a perk to drown out the noise since we went to bed early. The cottage was nice to be in…more space and very airy with screened windows on all walls and ceiling fan. They have a restaurant with a water view but we only ate there for breakfast a couple of mornings. Overall we had a nice experience there.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ecogirl71
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Nature's Little Secret are the words used on the license plates for the British Virgin Island (BVI) of Virgin Gorda, and personally, I agree and I hope it does remain a secret, but life isn't worth living if you can't share what you have or know with others. Virgin Gorda is one of those special places that need to be shared.

Everyone is different, and not all people share the same feeling I do about Virgin Gorda. For example, a high maintenance woman from New York who was leaving the island on the same ferry and taxi as me said she would never go back. She said there were so many other nice places to see which are easier to get to. In contrast, a nice couple from the Boston area were on our flight and ferry when we arrived. They told me on the ferry that you have to earn your trip to Virgin Gorda because that is how good and worthwhile it is. Earning your trip to Virgin Gorda means enduring the 90 minute ferry ride over to Virgin Gorda from Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas.

Our trip started with a 6 degree farenheit temperature leaving Boston's Logan Airport on January 30th. It was so cold, the valve on one of the engine's was frozen. A heater had to be brought out to the tarmac to thaw the valve on the engine. After a 55 minute delay we were off the ground at 8:25 am. We were planning on catching the 3:30 pm ferry from St. Thomas, so we were lucky the engine started and we didn't have to wait for another plane to come.

We made our ferry with plenty of time to spare. After the 90 minute ferry ride, we quickly went through BVI's customs and we were quickly on our way to our hotel, which was 5 minutes from the ferry pier. We were headed to Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel.

Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel is a family run hotel that must have been really nice 30 years ago, but for the price we were paying to stay on an expensive island, we could endure a few minor inconveniences. Our rooms were basic, we had a shower, but no bath tub, no phones, a 13 inch TV, and a toilet that needed the chain reattached after each flush. On our last morning, our water went out for a couple of hours. My husband was hosed down by my sister for his morning shower and he shaved outside using a hose. It was quite a sight to see, and one of the funniest things I have seen in my life. I am so glad I have this on video, as I haven't stopped laughing yet. Fortunately, the water came on and I took a nice hot shower before leaving.

You would think I would give the hotel low marks after all of this, but in all honesty, I loved it. It is true Caribbean. I am use to staying in the five star mega all inclusive resorts in Mexico, which I love too, but Fischer's Cove Hotel had true caribbean charm and character. It has a warm friendly family that run the hotel. It had a restaurant with a million dollar view. It had a beach that was in need of new lounge chairs and new palapas, but it also had great swimming and fabulous snorkeling.

The hotel was located in Spanish Town, also known as the Valley, which is the heart of the island. We were in walking distance to the Baths (a national park with rocks and grotto's that you can walk through), the Yacht Harbor, and many stores and restaurants. We were also close to some other beautiful bays and beaches. Virgin Gorda does not have casino's or golf. It also doesn't have a hospital either, which is a little scarry.

When I go on vacation, a good beach is the most important factor for me. I don't spend a lot of time in my room while on vacation. The beach at Fischer's Cove had everything I needed. The water temperature was in the low to mid 80's (F). The air temperature was about the same. This made for good snorkeling, swimming, and sun bathing. A few members of my group spent several hours a day in the water. We saw beautiful fish and some big ones too. I swam with Tarpin. They were probably babies. They averaged 2.5 - 3 feet in length.

February is the dry season, however; we did experience some brief rain showers, and of course our first rain shower had to hit us while we were en route to the hotel on the ferry. We were literally prisoners on the top deck of the ferry with the rain coming at us. We couldn't move because the ferry was moving fast and we couldn't stand up to go down below for cover. The ferry was a little rough leaving St. Thomas, but it smoothed out once we left the rough side of the island. The ferry wasn't very large and our boat seemed to be a bit on the older side. We called the ferry the tub. More on that later.

We had a good week at Fischer's Cove. We were a group of 8 and because we had a large group everybody had the opportunity to do what they wanted to do. Our group split up and did their own thing. Some of us stayed around the hotel and snorkeled every day, and others climbed Gorda Peak, or went to explore the beautiful bays and beaches. You could either relax or be adventurous and be on the move every day, your choice.

Our hotel offered a meal plan which included a full breakfast and dinner for $40 a day. This was a real bargain compared to the prices of other restaurants. Service varied at the hotel restaurant, but overall the food was pretty good and the service was good. It is a small hotel which had a combination of cottages and hotel rooms. If you wanted to, you could really do a low budget trip and cook food in your cottage, as many people staying at Fischer's Cove did. The hotel only had 6 rooms with air conditioning and we opted for these rooms. They came with a mini refrigerator. We had snacks and drinks in the room which we brought with us.

We had a little bit of a scare leaving the island. We boarded the 8:30 am ferry operated by Speedy's Ferry Servcice. The government in BVI make you stop in Tortola to pay a departure tax. You have to get off the ferry in Tortola, pay the tax and get back on the same ferry you arrived on. This is really stupid and a complete inconvenience. Paying the tax on the ferry would be the easiest thing to do and it use to be that way, however; the government must not have been getting all their money, so they mandated the ferry stop in Tortola.

All would have been fine after paying our departure tax, however; our tub (ferry) lost one engine en route to Charlotte Amalie. Again, we were on a tight time table. We needed to get to the airport in St. Thomas for a 1:10 pm flight back to Boston. Our little tub (ferry) was now traveling so slow we wondered if we would make it. I was thinking we would miss our flight and get stuck in St. Thomas for another night. The Speedy's Ferry crew were excellent in handling our dilema. They slowly cruised across the caribbean sea and rerouted us to St. John. We cleared customs in St. John. Speedy's radioed ahead to St. John's and they did have another ferry company lined up to take us to Red Hook in St. Thomas. Although we weren't crazy about our ferry and we were right about the tub, as it did break down, the crew on Speedy's did a fabulous job logistically doing their best to streamline and resolve the dilema we were facing. True to their name, they moved with speed in getting us off and onto an alternate ferry and swiftly brought us to Red Hook in St. Thomas. Once in Red Hook there were taxi's lined up to take us to the airport. All in all it worked out, but not knowing if we would make it in time for our flight caused stress on us.

I am grateful for the opportunity to have gone with family and friends to experience nature's little secret, a tropical paradise. I am also grateful we arrived home safely, not without incident, but without any injuries or sickness.

One last item, I want to give special mention to Noel, Wayne, Bianka, Esther, Huggins, and all the staff at Fischer's Cove for making our week very special. Thank you.

Best Tropical Regards,

Boston Tia

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank BostonTia1
Reviewed January 8, 2010

We had a great time at Fischer's Cove. Very quiet hotel, terrific private beach and the view from the restaurant deck is UNBELIEVABLE!
The rooms are basic but nice and clean, we had A/C, fridge, cable tv. Only problems were mosquitos (the room was FULL of them when we checked in) and poor windows sealing.

The lounge is very nice, with complimentary wi-fi, we often had drinks there. Breakfast is very good, dinner instead was disappointing (the worst we had on the island). The staff is nice and helpful, we enjoyed the island a lot. Great people, very nice and relaxed, the only crowded beach is at The Baths (and only on peak time), we had a heavenly day at Savannah Bay.

Visit Virgin Gorda as soon as you can!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bluedevil42
Reviewed December 31, 2009

From start to finish I ADORED Fischer's Cove!!! The setting is spectacular, the price is great, the people/management are so kind, and the location is fabulous! Restaurant food is good, the lounge area has a breath-taking view of the beach that is right in front of the property, and the cottages are quintessential beach houses!! I booked a room for 2 nights, but kept extending my stay because I just didn't want to move on! The Baths, where you will probably be spending the day, are about a lovely 20 minute walk...taxis are readily available too. From our breezy little cottage, we could hear (and see) the ocean...which was a neon turquoise color! For a special treat, on our last morning there, we witnessed an amazing double rainbow over Fischer's Cove...a good omen I suppose!! I will DEFINITELY be back!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MademoiselleMermaid
Reviewed October 9, 2009

If you're looking for a nice and easy, no-frills, get-away to the british virgin islands, then you should definitely check out Fischer's Cove on Virgin Gorda. Beautiful sunsets from private beach, very hospitable staff, silent and peaceful nights, basic yet very clean rooms, perfect location. While we were staying at Fischers Cove we did not rent a car, nor did we ever need to hire a taxi while getting around Spanish Town and the southern part of the island; we really enjoyed walking everywhere: the Baths (absolutely pristine), the old copper mill, the grocery store at the marina, and the wonderful local eateries. There is not much in the way of nightlife, which was also a bonus for us since our priority for this particular trip was to spend quality time together, distraction-free. It was a wonderful trip, a wonderful place to stay. Thank you Fischer's Cove.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travellightlivelight
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Fischer’s Cove was just what we expected. Basic, but very comfortable. We stayed in the Garden view hotel room with AC. I have no idea how those who didn’t have AC did it! It was very humid and we knew we wouldn’t be able to sleep without the AC. The room consisted of a double bed, side table, min-fridge, small 13 inch TV with basic cable, Dresser, and 1 chair. The bathroom was small but functional. The AC worked great. We had no problems with the room, but keep in mind that it is very basic.

The staff were all very friendly. Some of them were on Island time, but that is to be expected. We ate breakfast at the restaurant each morning, except for one when the “chef” did not show up on time. The listed hours had it opening at 7am, but we never had anyone arrive until 8:30 at the earliest. The Mango dipped French Toast was wonderful! We had it every morning. We ate there one evening for dinner. The appetizers were amazing, but the fish we ordered had no taste. We were going to give them another try for dinner, but we had too many other places we wanted to try. The maids were outstanding!

The beach was very nice. We walked and looked for shells every morning. The snorkeling was fair from the shore. One word of warning. If you rinse your feet in the basins that are on the grounds, hang on! They are very slippery and my wife slipped and fell while rinsing her feet. We found out today that she fractured her tail bone. Nothing they can do about it, but I’m just saying…. Hang on to something! LOL

Over all we enjoyed our stay at Fischer’s Cove and we had a great time there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Surfsong Villa Resort
Surfsong Villa Resort
#1 of 1 in Beef Island

Been to Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!