“Great time at Leverick!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Virgin Gorda
Leverick Bay Resort
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
east longmeadow, ma
“Great time at Leverick!”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

My wife and I just returned from a great 5 day/4night getaway at Leverick Bay and had a fabulous time! I felt compelled to write this review because of the wildly varying reviews for this place. I think the bottom line is how to set your expectations. Rooms here run $150 per night in max high season, that includes all service and taxes. That's roughly the same as $129 per night plus tax and service. For that kind of money we weren't expecting the Taj Mahal. We were expecting a clean basic room to use as a base of operations. That's what we got, and we felt quite a bit more. The rooms while basic, had a refridge, TV ( I don't think we even turned it on!), good A/C, and a private balcony overlooking the marina out to the North Sound. You do have to climb some stairs to get to the room, that's the cost of the view. However, if you rent a car, you can park in fron of the unit to save some up and downs.
We found the staff to be excellent. Nick is as gracoius and personable host as you'll find, and the staff at the bar and restauants were friendly as well. Heck, I'm even facebook friends with one of them now! The girls at the front desk can be a bit more reserved, but very efficient at the least. The girl that met us on the dock on arrival and checked us in however, was very personable. As is true throughout the BVI, starting any conversation with a simple good afternoon and a smile, goes a long way.
This is not really a beach resort. There is a small beach adjacent to the pool and marina, but shouldn't be looked as a main drawing point. This is however, a resort and marina which actively caters to the boating crowd. We felt that added to the charm, it was a different set of characters every night at happy hour! As far as amenities, there was free wifi throughout, as well as an internet cafe, a spa, some shops, a dive operation, 2 restaurants ( 1 casual, 1 fancy), a funky and active waterfront bar, a watersports center, and a well stocked grocerette. That's alot of bang for the buck we paid!
We did rent a car and hit variuos beaches around the island. We did meet all kinds of very friendly people. We did have a blast!
If you're looking for the Four Seasons, or miles of sand in front, this isn't the place. We did feel it was perfect for what we wanted. A reasonably priced room that offered the ability to check out the North Sound, with good road access to the rest of the island. Like I said, these reviews are generally about expectations, and ours were met and exceeded. We'll be back in the future.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank live4thebeach66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
BVI
Reviewed February 13, 2011

My family and I wanted to get away and looked up a place on the internet. We saw these beautiful pics from Leverick Bay Resort and we amazed, so we decided to go there. Upon arriving I was very disappointed. There was a big old Garbage disposal dump right next to reception. We arrived late and still had to wait for the room. When we finally got to the room, it was horrible. The place looked old and run down. The shower had no curtain, the freezer was packed with frost, no space to put in some stuff that I bought. The roof had cob webs. The beds were small but comfortable. The food was way too expensive and I ordered some buffalo wings which tasted like left overs from the day before. The pool is extremely small and not inviting. In the end I just felt like I was robbed and wanted my money back. Virgin Gorda is beautiful but Leverick Bay, not so much. This place is only worth $50 a night, not the ridiculous $150 per night I was charged.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank happyv1983

Travelers are raving about these Virgin Gorda hotels

New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed February 7, 2011

We spent 2 weeks at one of the villas managed by the Resort, Serendipity. Trudi of Best of BVI rentals and the Leverick Bay staff, Nick and Monica, couldn't have been more helpful. Nick drove us to the villa from the dock. The gang arranged a rental car for us. The cleaning staff were efficient and worked every day except Sunday, making sure we had a clean kitchen, clean sheets and plenty of clean towels every day. We could walk or drive to the resort proper for meals, drinks and the Michael Bean pirate show, and to buy groceries or do laundry. We were close to everything! One day, we rented a motor boat at the dock at Leverick Bay to travel around the North Sound.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bnuckols
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I recently stayed at Leverick Bay with a group of friends and we really enjoyed every second of it. We took a 3 day vacation to celebrate our grad school graduation. We only stayed for 3 days, although I wish to have stayed for a few more days. However, thank God we chose Leverick Bay. The people where super friendly with all of us and we actually hangout at the bar with Monica and Nick, Leverick’s managers, and with a couple of locals. The Restaurant was closed but if you are a french fries lover, you need to try Leverick’s Beach bar french fries. I think I ate french fries for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Apart from the french fries the food was ok, nothing special. The rooms had a spectacular view and were very comfortable. But I have to say, it is a workout climbing all those stairs to get to the rooms. The first night at the beach bar we met this super nice couple that offer us to go on a boat trip with them. That morning we went to Savannah Bay and what a spectacular beach. Amazingly it was only like 10 minutes away from Leverick. We also relaxed at the poolside while enjoying their famous Piña Coladas and Bushwackers. Overall, I will definitely come back to Leverick Bay!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank monf787
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2010

we stayed here one night as a break from sleeping on the boat while sailing the bvi's. we were desperate for a bed that didn't sway and a/c. we got both so our expectations were met. though if we had gone here for a "holiday", we would have been sorely disappointed.
the bar on the beach is great- management stayed at the bar all day with us (world cup was on) and we had a great time with some of the local charter masters. there was a band and a fire eating show which made for an interesting break.
food at the bar was mixed- conch fritters great, wings horrid.
great if you're sailing/island hopping but i wouldn't recommend it for a week. there's no great beach, just a small pool and clearly set up for sailers refueling and seeking provisions.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nycjones
Cape Cod
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I hadn't been on a real vacation in years, and was SO ready to do a whole bunch of relaxing. We knew we wanted the warmth of the Caribbean and the laid back attitude that comes with 'island life'. What we didn't expect was blatant rudeness from the office staff. Melissa was a smidge more 'friendly' than Donna, but that's a huge stretch. Asking for any information, or any ammenities was akin to going to that man in the play 'Oliver' for more food...(can't you see that guys face? MORE???!!! YOU WANT MORE??) It was a monumental 'favor' if you asked for anything. I have never been so offended...and had to pay for it to boot!
There is no way to secure your villa/room, as the sliders only have locks only on the inside, and while nothing was stolen, I had no sense of total relaxation during our time there, as I never knew if our belongings would still be there when we returned to the villa.
I live in New England, in the woods, so bugs don't bother me. The cockroaches were a bit much though.
The rooms were nice enough, and the air conditioning was wonderful. We were amazingly surprised at how well stocked the small store at Leverick Bay is for provisioning. We had rented a car and gone exploring, and found that most of what we needed was right in their store.
Please, be aware of the smell of septic while staying at this resort. If you're anywhere near the pool, or near the offices, etc...the whole 'public area' of the resort is badly attended to...when someone flushes one of the toilets near the laundry, it's a horrible experience.
We wanted a week full of white sandy beaches. We had to rent a car to find what we wanted. We went to the resort office, where they give you a key to a car right there...no paperwork, no license check...nothing...you take the car to the rental office, which is in Spanishtown, the only REAL town on Virgin Gorda, 6 miles away. You have to drive to the rental office to fill out paperwork....still shaking my head about that one! We had information from a local about a lovely sandy beach named Savannah. We went there every day that we had the car. It was paradise to find Savannah...the most folks there at any time, besides us, might have been 10 other people. It's where we taught ourselves to snorkel. Lovely...simply lovely. This is what made our vacation/honeymoon a wonderful vacation.
At Leverick Bay, there is a bar and a restaurant. The bar is a cute beach bar, but the flies there kept us swatting, and although the drinks were good, it was so disgusting that we wouldn't eat there. There's a BBQ that happens every Friday night. We waited to see how the staff would present the food and how they would keep away the flies. Please, read this knowing that I'm no wimp when it comes to insects, I just think that when I'm paying good money, I'd rather my food not have been visited by numerous flies before I even get a chance to see what's in the buffet.

We even tried the visually appealing restaurant upstairs at Leverick Bay. It's reminiscent of the movie Casablanca, with the maitre d being most attentive. I can tell you that the mushroom risotto was the finest I've ever experienced. What ruined the dining experience was the smell of septic wafting up to the restaurant. I couldn't finish my meal.

If you go to Leverick Bay, rent a car...find Savannah Beach..and when you're hungry for the best BLT ever, head towards the Baths and stop at Mad Dog, a tiny place where the 3 ladies who work there, are so amazingly customer-service friendly, that I wanted to clone these wonderful ladies so that everyone on the island was that friendly....

The fact is, we wound up creating our own meals for the majority of the two weeks we were on Virgin Gorda. (The second week, we stayed at a place named Coffee)

I've lived in a resort town before, so I'm very familiar with the attitude of 'I'm not on your vacation', but this goes beyond that attitude....The resort was not nice enough to forego all the negatives.

This experience was so poignant that I felt compelled to warn folks NOT to go to Leverick Bay Resort...If you're reading this, then you're doing more research than we did, and I applaud you....Keep researching til you find a place that will value you spending your well-earned money for your well-deserved vacation....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CapePhotog
Austin
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I guess my main impression of Leverick Bay is that it’s not for everyone. We rented a two bedroom, two bath unit with a kitchen, sitting room and patio for a week. For the most part the unit itself was acceptable. It was starting to show its age but was reasonably clean. While there was no A/C in the kitchen, sitting room or bathrooms, the bedrooms were frosty cold and the beds were comfortable. And for people who don’t mind cooking while on vacation, the kitchen was well stocked with utensils and supplies. There was plenty of hot water and it slept 4 people comfortably. But it was mostly downhill from there.

One major issue was security. This was the first place I ever stayed where you cannot lock your room from the outside. You were, however, *supposed* to be able to lock the sliding door from the inside at night. But, alas, this lock was broken. As was the safe. As was one of the two bedroom locks. Fortunately, our belongings were ultimately safe but I’d advise against bringing ANYTHING of value if you plan to stay here. And if you’ll lose sleep knowing that anyone can enter your unit at any time for any reason, you will want to either bring a healthy stash of sleeping pills or consider other options.

Roaches were another problem as well. We probably killed about a dozen during our stay. I understand that the hot humid Caribbean weather is conducive to breeding but I’ve stayed in other places in the VI and never had to deal with roaches. Why should this place be any different? Other reviewers have noted ants, lizards, rats, and so on in their rooms. So those with an aversion to critters will want to think twice.

The grounds of the resort are a mixed bag. There are two restaurants: a nice one and a poolside burger and pizza joint. The food is very good at both but the prices are some of the highest in the BVI ($20 will buy a burger with a couple of toppings while entrees in the nice restaurant run $30 to $60) and the service was a bit slow at both. There is a small grocery store that offers everything from nice wine and gourmet cheeses to produce and Kobe beef hamburger patties. And there is a gift shop, Pusser’s store, day spa, coin-op laundry, tennis court, Internet café (and free WiFi throughout the resort) and Dive BVI shop as well. So pretty much anything you will need during your stay is available without having to leave the property, which is nice. The beach and pool, however, are almost an afterthought. The pool is incongruously sandwiched between the casual restaurant and a beach bar and is about as inviting as a Motel-6 pool. I never did see any guests lounging in or around the pool the entire time I was there. The beach isn’t any better. It is an overgrown sandbox at the foot of the marina. If a nice beach and pool are what you seek, Leverick Bay will be a colossal disappointment.

Finally there is Jumbie’s beach bar. The first night we were at Leverick, the music blared from Jumbie’s until 1am keeping various members of my group awake (to be fair, this was just the first night). Between the 1am beach bar parties, people smoking pot in the unit directly above us, Poker Run weekend insanity, and guests so drunk they had to crawl down stairs, this is definitely a raucous environment. So hardcore party animals will probably feel right at home while those looking for a something a bit more subdued will wish they were elsewhere.

On a positive note, the Dive BVI shop and marina make for an excellent venue for arranging snorkeling and SCUBA trips. The staff was very helpful and the dive boat was very well equipped. You can even rent a boat and equipment and go off on your own if you know what you’re doing. And Dive BVI can arrange trips to Anegada that leave directly from Leverick Bay (although the boat was broken when we inquired). Also, the marina – which pretty much seems to be the main focus of the resort – is a nice choice for boaters.

Leverick Bay resort is definitely a mixed bag. While it is cheaper than most other Virgin Gorda resorts, the price difference is reflected in the quality of accommodations and service. The excellent marina and dive shop make this a possibility for those on a budget who wish to do a lot of diving or boating (as long as you’re not picky about the accommodations). Individuals looking for luxury accommodations, top notch service, a nice pool/beach, lots of activities, easy access to the ferries, or peace and quiet will be happier elsewhere. I, for one, will not be returning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in North Sound
Mango Bay Resort
Mango Bay Resort
#2 of 7 in Virgin Gorda

Been to Leverick Bay Resort? Share your experiences!