“The Gods Went Bowling!”

Devil's Bay National Park
More attraction details
Owner description: A bay in Virgin Gorda amid enormous granite rocks with warm, shallow water.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“The Gods Went Bowling!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I've not seen many places that have such an impact on me. This sight reminded me of how I felt when I saw the Haleakala Crater in Maui. Or the glaciers in Alaska. It is a sight that sticks with you.
Gigantic boulders and huge rock formations are stewn all over the coast. WE descended a path toward Warm Waters. Once there we followed a path to Devil's Bay which meant going through caves, wading in wasit deep water, climbing up a boulder using ropes... I'm not young and I am clasutrophbic so there was a bit of a fear factor in it for me. There are many tripping hazards. Once you reach the bay the swimming is fun and many snorkel. You do not have to go back the same way you came and there are signs to the parking lot! Thank goodness. I'm glad I saw it and I think young folks would find it a total adventure without the worry I had about falling. LOL

Visited December 2012
1 Thank RIKIVOGEL

• Polish first
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wow, What a great Beach!”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was my second time at Devils Bay. The first time a cruise ship had just dropped off 25+ passangers that hiked down the trail to the Baths. It made for a very busy beach. The second time was this past November. We arrived @ 8am to an almost empty anchorage and an empty beach. The hike to Devils Bay is easy and when you get there the beach will take your breathe away. It's well worth the visit. Try to get there early in the morning and you will have the beach to yourself. Check to see if there is a cruise ship in Road Town if there is make sure you get there first.

Visited November 2012
Malmo, Sweden
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Lovely wy to end a tour of the baths”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Lovely relaxing spot to swim, tan and relax after hiking through the caves of the Virgin Gorda Baths.

Visited January 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“The MOST AMAZING BEACH EVER”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Yeah, the title pretty much says it all.
Many people describe Miami Beach as "Powdery white sand and crystal clear water"... PLEASE!
They have clearly not been to Virgin Gorda, where the water actually IS crystal clear and the sand is amazingly powdery and beautifully white. But that can be said about many if not most Caribbean beaches, so what sets this apart? Why am I writing a review for Devil's Bay and not, say, Trunk Bay or the 10s of other beaches in the Caribbean that I've visited? It's because this one is literally the most amazing!

First of all, to get there you start from "The Baths" beach which is also awesome, and then you walk a trail for about 30-45 minutes through boulders, sand, in the water and out of the water, passing by AWESOME little corners and coves, each of which could be its own attraction! The color of the water is just perfect, and the scenery makes this place dreamy. Finally, you exit out of the trail (if you didn't get too tempted to settle anywhere along the way, with the turquoise clear water between boulders and small strips of sand) into the big Devil's Bay beach which has the huge boulders as a backdrop, to add onto the amazing sand, palm trees and overall tropical feel. It literally looks like it was made up by Disney or something. The only beaches I've seen (in pictures) that resemble this scene are on the islands of Seychelles.

Because this is 30-45 minutes of walking from the road, you don't get a lot of the usual Caribbean annoyances, and there are no people dealing drugs on the beach or trying to solicit you in any way (well, I've only been here once, so maybe on other days it's different), and at least when I was there it wasn't super crowded. But those are only minor details when you have this piece of paradise in front of your face and you can't decide if you want to relax on the beach, enjoy the view and tan, or swim in the amazingly clear water and check out all the fish, or climb on the boulders at the end of the beach with your underwater camera and take pictures from there. I did all 3...
So in conclusion, this is really the most underrated beach I've ever been to, and the most picturesque. I don't know why it doesn't appear on every single "top 10" beach list, but that's ok because that's why it's not so overpopulated :-)

I don't remember if there is a fee to get in (but if so it's low) and I don't think there is a restaurant in Devil's Bay so you have to walk back to The Baths.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Tomeslice
massachusetts
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Great snorkeling south of the Baths”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We carried our snorkeling gear with us through the baths and snorkeled here. The rocks along the left side of the beach are especially good, just pick an interesting coral formation and hover over it for awhile. Watch carefully and you will see much. The beach can get crowded and there will be dinghies coiming in form the anchored boats, so go early in the morning or late in the day to see Devil's Bay at it's best.

Visited November 2012