“Perfect Family Vacation”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
London
“Perfect Family Vacation”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Little Dix Bay offers everything you could wish for for a perfect family vacation. The staff are friendly and it has almost everything you could ask for. The Tennis courts and spa are fantastic as well as the restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for one as close to the beach as possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Cruz Bay, St. John
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

A colleague of mine insisted that we spend a night at LDB so I could indulge in my most fav activity -spa hopping. She has a former business connection with the resort as she used to work with the Caneel Resort in St. John. LDB will NOT disappoint. I was touched by the simple elegance and luxury of our villa. Detailed with all of the special touches you would expect from a rosewood resort. The staff is top notch, personable yet non intrusive. The pool and beach is meticulously kept with beautiful gardens. My only slight disappointment was the meal selection the night we were there, it was very ordinary for dinner. But the breakfast spread made up for it, a delicate selection of meats and cheeses. Reminiscing of Italy while we had breakfast and enjoyed the beautiful arid scenery of Virgin Gorda.
I will be returning to LDB since it's in my backyard here in the Caribbean. This may be one of my all time favorite resorts.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank princessbadissa
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were here 2 months ago and I am still thinking about Little Dix! Within 15 minutes of arriving I was really excited about this trip. The grounds are expansive and luxurious (in true Rockefeller style). We booked the lowest category room and I thought it was great. Newly remodeled and all the creature comforts. The food and drink were awesome. The staff was the nicest I have ever experienced in the carribean. They have a dock right at the hotel which is so convenient for the day trips offered. There is also the famous "beach drops" where you pack a lunch and they will drop you off and pick you up at several beaches around the island. Coolers are provided along with snorkel gear. The pool area is nice to sit for a drink after a beach day. It is a quiet resort and island -- perfect for older honeymooners and couple get-aways. (I think younger honeymooners would be happier in a place that had a town with more action). I don't think I would bring my young children here due to how expensive it was (although there were many children there). We were here off season, so the rates were drastically cut. Perhaps if I paid a full rate I would have found more issues with the resort? However, we are definitely going to return here! email me any questions.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cheryl5418
Montana
Reviewed September 24, 2013

No crowds, just pristine waters and sand. Truly a spectacular island and is one of our favorite destinations. My husband and I with three teenagers were never bored since the resort offers so many activities including diving, which was wonderful. We will be back in 18 months!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank activefamily
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I visited LDB with my family (four kids in total) and have to say it was the best holiday of my life. I genuinely wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone and if I had the chance (and money) to return I would in a heart beat.

The service/staff: All lovely, smiles all around, brilliant people working in the kids area when the parents want to go for a romantic meal on their own. People wander up the beach offering water and ice while you sunbathe which is a nice touch (and free), they don't hassle you though - just a friendly offer and they're happy to stay or move on just as quickly. I hate when people try to approach you on holiday and interrupt your fun/family time but they really did get the measure of people straight away and remembered if you had wanted water or not and would either come back to you and offer more (if you had said yes previously) or remember not to.

Rooms: Were big, we had all four kids in one room and there were no complaints or arguments about space/toys/who put what where! Bliss! There were a few mosquitos in the room, the eldest child had about 60 bites in total by the end of the holiday. Nothing can really be done on this score unfortunately, but it certainly didn't ruin our holiday. We had a slight incident when the youngest child (3) walked out into the garden before an evening meal and walked on top of a red ants nest; the screams were unreal and we soon realised that there were nests all over the grounds which certainly affected the way the kids played outside after that! Again though, this was just nature doing its thing so we can't hold it against the resort/the people running it. I would just ask them to keep on top of these things to avoid further accidents.

Food: We have one very fussy child so I was pleasantly surprised to see some thoughtful breakfast options when it comes to this. There was always a selection of muffins (chocolate was a favourite of ours) and of course a brilliant array of fruits (exotic and more 'normal) as well as juices etc. So no problems there. Dinners were always a fun affair, getting a little dressed up as is the requirement depending on which restaurant you wish to go. The setting is very beautiful, such lovely views of the surroundings, sunsets and beaches. Beautiful.

Beach: This place is literally the ideal beach holiday if what you're looking for is white sand and clear, warm water. There were a few very small jellyfish (we only once saw a giant one wash up on the sea which was soon "dealt with"). I went snorkling and saw a manataray, barracuda and (I think) a sea cucumber! I went out one afternoon on a lilo with an American I met and in no time we had several schools of fish swimming underneath us, it actually made me scream with surprise lol but was good fun. Have never experienced that before or since; definitely a lasting memory!

Excursions: We took a speed boat to a nearby beach/cove and took some nice underwater photos with Nemo's and Dori's which was amazing; I can't remember the name of the place but it's worth asking at the hotel to find out where you can do this. The sea was sooooo blue it didn't seem possible! We also went parasailing which was ace, first time I did it and loved it.

I know this review is quite long but frankly you will love this location; it's a great place to bring families and is also romantic enough for couples! Go! You won't regret one second of it!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Katie S
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and I are avid travelers and spent lots of time researching for our honeymoon after our destination wedding. After reading countless reviews about how romantic and luxurious LDB was we splurged and booked our week long trip. We could not have been more disappointed with the quality, service or lack of luxury at LDB. Below are our three biggest concerns that would prevent us from recommending this hotel:

Rooms:
We stayed in a treehouse room because we were told these were close to the beach and families were not allowed to stay here due to the height. The rooms were less than luxurious. They are close to the service road so you have to keep the shades drawn for privacy, and there is no way to view the water front anywhere you can sit in the room. After two days we brought this to the attention of the management and they upgraded us to a junior suite. If you do stay at LDB I would not stay in any room categories lower than this as they are not acceptable for the price range.

Family Resort, not for couples!
This resort is clearly a family vacation spot and NOT meant for couples. There were families everywhere and absolutely no privacy or luxurious adults only environment. We are in no way against traveling to family friendly resorts but children clearly rule the hotel here. Large families were on vacation and left their children mostly unattended at the pool, beach and restaurant areas. The property is very safe so I understand this, however it is not ideal for honeymooners. There were even small children at the spa pool!! You should know the main hotel pool (only pool besides the spa pool that is only available during your treatments) closes at 6pm!! All restaurants on the property close at 9pm!!! There are no lights on the beach and absolutely nothing going on after dinner.

Food and Service were below par:
The hotel is quoted constantly for having outstanding service. We noticed very quickly that while the hotel had very friendly staff, they were not providing good service. We waiting long periods of time for food and drinks. One day towels were not made available at the pool or beach until well after 11am. The food was also severely lacking for the price. We opted for the Romance Package which included three meals so we ate every meal on the property. There was only one choice for breakfast, which was a buffet with only a few items that NEVER changed. We also only had one option for lunch with a menu that NEVER changed. For dinner we had a choice of buffet or a la cart. Men had to wear long pants to the a la cart restaurant and the food was a little better, but again the menu did not change. The buffet dinner was less than appetizing with lots of repeat (left overs) from one night to the next.

We have brought all our concerns to the management who received the suggestions well and have told us they are working on making changes to create more separation for adults. Until this change happens I cannot recommend the hotel for couples. And really unless the food were to improve or you eat only off property I couldn't recommend it to anyone in this price category. After sailing around BVI there are plenty of other areas with just as nice a location that provided better food, accommodations, service and experience.

Room Tip: Rooms below the Junior Suite category are not acceptable for the price range.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
16 Thank 20sTravelers
RosewoodLittleDixBay, General Manager at Rosewood Little Dix Bay, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear "20sTravelers,"

Thank you for taking the time to review Rosewood Little Dix Bay. We are very sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations.

As you mention in your review, we do have quite a history as a couples-friendly resort. We also have a strong reputation as a family friendly resort with an excellent children's program. We do our best to maintain the individual experiences that our guests expect from our resort, but occassionally the separation between guests can get muddled along our beach and in our public areas. We will certainly consider the opportunities to create a better situation where families and honeymoon couples alike will be able to enjoy their stays.

We want you to know that we have taken your feedback and shared it with the rest of our management team and we intend to fully address the gaps in service you've experience. The resort is undergoing a phased multi-million dollar renewal plan that will take place over the next few years. Part of that plan includes updating accommodations including the Tree House cottages, as well as guest facilities at the resort. Another very important part of the plan involves in-depth staff training. This year our staff members will receive cross-exposure training to experience service and training techniques to share from our legendary sister properties.

With the planned improvements to our resort facilities, accommodations and service level, we envision a Rosewood Little Dix Bay that will continue to impress and satisfy all of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you in the near future, so that we might have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Kind regards,

Edward Linsley
Managing Director
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Millbrook, New York
Reviewed September 7, 2013

To this day my kids still reflect back on our trip to Little Dix Bay as probably their favorite vacation! Its a nice tucked away spot that really allows you to get away from it all. We love the fact that we were just steps from the beach but that there was shade and a beautiful patio to sit out on if we decided to take a break from the beach. When we arrived they presented my kids with cupcakes that had their names in frosting on the plates! That could be what sold them on the whole trip. My husband also thinks that my younger son remembers it so well because of the vast and incredible buffets! The property is beautiful and natural without being 'fussy' and the excursions to neighboring beaches was great. We also took a day trip on our own down to the Bitter End which was fun. We loved the bay because it was so calm and the kids could play without worrying about getting pummeled by waves and there were still fish to see. Overall it was a great vacation for our family and we would definitely visit another Rosewood Property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Bitter End Yacht Club
Bitter End Yacht Club
#1 of 1 in North Sound
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Rosewood Little Dix Bay? Share your experiences!