“Are you kidding me?”

Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Virgin Gorda
Reviewed June 19, 2013

In attempting to be fair I a, breaking up my reviews into positives and negatives and will let the reader decide what is important to them. To give you context with what I am comparing this resort to, my husband and I are both fairly young and have traveled all over the world - Europe, Africa, Asia, South America - you name it and have stayed in many similarly priced hotels as Little Dix.

Pros
-Location of actual resort is beautiful - the bay is great to swim in, snorkel in etc
-beach service is ok - there were several times I had to walk up to the beach grill to order some drinks but is was generally better than most
-hiking trails from the resort to neighboring bays
- grand buffet actually had an enormous amount of lobster to eat which was amazing!
- the maid service and generally anyone who came to our room was wonderful

Cons
-while the staff was usually nice enough but specifically the waiters in the restaurants could not seem to be bothered by my attempts to flag them down to request more coffee. They on average had personalities of a rock and while my husband reminded me that this was probably an island thing I reminded him that we had been to some other islands and had not experienced this.
- on the first night we went to the sugar mill restaurant at the resort - our server informed us that the mahi mahi was local, frozen fresh! We were confused but yes the $40 fish was frozen. The dishes were actually quite bad and we did not return. I don't mind spending over $250 for a dinner for two but I do mind when it doesn't taste good.
- so the food is obviously expensive but the beach grille and pavilion restaurants are ok - beware of in room dining - they claim to not charge extra for this but they build in the fee into the price. A pepperoni pizza at the grille cost $18. For in room dining they only had a pepperoni pizza with param ham for $26. When we received the pizza it was smaller than the first and had less pepperoni and about 2 small slivers of Parma ham. I called to complain and the supervisor was very accommodating saying he would refund us. This was about to go into the "pro" section until a woman called me back telling me the cost is because of the Parma ham. I didn't want to argue but I still don't understand why they would make the pizza smaller?
-the rooms are small, older rooms, some cracked tiles, bathrooms are outdated. I generally felt like we were staying at summer camp sometimes as you can hear your neighbors quite clearly.
-the wifi is terrible and on a day that it rained we looked in to their DVD collection which was mainly comprised of movies from the 70s and 80s. We tried to download a movie but the wifi was so slow it only downloaded 40% in over 10 hours.
- I think if this place cost $300/night none of these things would bother me. But out of season this place cost about $2,000 for 3 nights and we spent $1600 on food for 3 days not including going out to dinner one night and breakfast one morning. And that includes approximately 6 alcoholic beverages a day between the two of us. At this price I would expect local FRESH fish - not local frozen.

When I go back and read some of these other reviews I have to wonder " did we stay in the same place as these people!?!?"

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank K C
There are newer reviews for Rosewood Little Dix Bay

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at LDB for 10 days. Great place to unplug, relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings! Sting ray and turtles right in the LDB cove - lots of fish, too! Great room with easy beach access. The staff are all very friendly, welcoming, and helpful (everyone says "hello" and makes sure you're doing enjoying your stay)! We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and they made it special with a welcoming bottle of champagne and cold cut tray when we checked into our room after a LONG day of traveling. The Fitness Center is in great shape with eliptical, bikes, treadmills, and weights (that's where I got my TV fix as none of the rooms have tvs - although there is big screen in the Activities Room near Reception). I do agree that the food is good but not great (we are foodies, so we may be a little hard to "wow") - for the prices you pay, you'd expect great! The exceptions are the breakfast buffet (which is by far the best buffet) and the lobster was excellent on lobster night. The staff really make the place extra special, though! We ate at the Beach Grill almost everyday for lunch and the food was good and the Painkillers were strong and hit the spot! Coco Maya and Giorgio's were excellent, though and I definitely recommend going off-site for a couple meals. The weekly Manager's Reception was very nice (free appetizers and booze) and a great chance to mingle with other guests! Would definitley recommend this to our friends and family!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just spent another week at LDB and it was fabulous. The staff is wonderful, the food delicious , the setting spectacular . Was exhausted for life when we arrived and within a few days , felt recharged and spoiled. Love the spa. Don't miss the coconut happy hour on Thursdays.
This resort is simple and beautiful. Very nice Managers Reception Monday night with delicious appetizers and drinks. We went to town to try CocoMaya one evening and loved it . Fun place with music, dancing and an interesting menu.
Already booked LDB again for next year.No reason to go anywhere else!

1  Thank Greekchick
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Little Dix Bay is gorgeous and the property has the perfect balance between having enough guests but a feeling of privacy.
We were there in May so it wasn't too crowded. Staff were gracious.
I didn't love the fact that you cannot lock your room door when you leave (although there is a safe in the room).
I would actually NOT recommend eating in the restaurants at the hotel as they are over priced and the food is sub par (breakfast was an exception). Much better to go in to town (Coco Maya was the best by far).
The spa is also not a highlight (I didn't feel the services were up to par with similar properties).
All this said though, this is probably the best place to stay.

1  Thank 440WorldTraveler
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The furniture in the public spaces is old and soiled. The food tastes like a cruise ship, but the staff is gracious and friendly. This resort is not at all as nice as in years past. I was not informed at the time of booking that the property had been sold to a chinese firm, obviously this is not for the better. It is reported the resort will close for several weeks at the end of August for repairs. Wish we knew mort about all this before we booked this trip. I have come to trust in Rosewood resorts over the years, but no more. Check to see if the rosewood resort you book is still owned by them as they have sold others as well.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views.
5  Thank Melinda M
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed at this resort during the first week of June. Simply an excellent, top notch resort. all of the staff we very friendly and helpful. We arrived at VG airport via Air Sunshine from San Juan. Excellent service as well, but you need to like small airplanes! We were greeted at the airport by the driver named Tito. A friendly character. Right from our arrival we felt like everyone there treated us with their full attention. We arrived to check in early and our room was not ready yet. The staff gave us a tour of the property and made sure we were comfortable and well fed at the beach grill. We ate at 2 of the 3 resturants on site. The beach grill for lunches, and the Pavillion for breakfast and dinners. The food is very expensive, but every meal we ate was top quality. Once again the resturant was very accomodating for special requests. We stayed in room 59, barely 15 steps to the beach! The room was very clean and maid service came twice each day. Even your ice bucket gets replenished twice a day! There are no room keys, which seems strange at first, but one quickly realizes they are not necassary. There are locks for when you are sleeping, and a room safe for personal items. We did take a walk one morining into Spanish Town, which was dissapointing, but perhaps a taxi or tour of other parts of the island would have been fine. It was our main purpose to really just relax by the beach and enjoy time together, which is what worked fine for us. This time of year is also low season, so it was not crowded at all. At times we felt like we had the resort to ourselves, which was perfect !
We did not chose the meal plan, which worked out to be a better value for us.
Also, the fitness center was very nice, clean and convienient.
We are already planning our second visit next year !
Highly reccomended.

Room Tip: We had room 59 excellant location for beach, and out of the way of most boat traffic in and out of t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This was our first experience at a Rosewood property, and it was lovely. The staff provided exceptional service, and attended to the little details to make the stay enjoyable. We used the beach drop service a couple of times, and the staff recommended snorkeling and beach locations, dropped us off on our schedule, and acted as tour guides while transporting us. The one bummer was that due to weather and waves, some of the catamaran trips were cancelled. However, the excursions office found us things to do anyway. We did not purchase an eating package, but found the coffee and rolls in the morning, and pastries and tea in the afternoon a good alternative to eating huge meals.

We both had a massage at the spa, and the massage therapist was great. So great I scheduled a second service.

Staff kindly pointed out Chester, the large barracuda that lives under the dock, and also identified a baby stingray that came in to the shore midday.

We left before our flight to spend some time on Tortola, and they kept our luggage in the office, and arranged transport to Road Town for us.

Staff were more accommodating than anywhere I have ever stayed. I can't wait to go back.

2  Thank Alison M
Bitter End Yacht Club
Bitter End Yacht Club
#1 of 1 in North Sound
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Rosewood Little Dix Bay? Share your experiences!