“Well this place hasn't changed.......still excellent!”
Review of Chez Bamboo

Chez Bamboo
Ranked #9 of 38 Restaurants in Virgin Gorda
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Consistency is the cornerstone of reputation. (My original line, feel free to use it.) If you go somewhere and its good, and the next time you go, it isn’t, you are not going to risk recommending it to others. However, if you go and its good and you go again and its good and you hear others who have been say it’s good, before long the place has a “reputation” for being good; case in point, Chez Bamboo. I heard good things about it from our taxi driver, the incomparable “Shorn,” expert on Virgin Gorda and its dining establishments. So, I thought I’d give it a try if I had time. As Susan and I got involved in the process of our vacation, Chez Bamboo slipped my mind. Then we asked the owner of Guavaberry Spring Bay Vacation Homes, where we were staying, if she’d join us for dinner, and that we’d like for her to choose the venue. She chose Chez Bamboo, and we had a wonderful dinner and a delightful evening. That was in 2012. We returned to Virgin Gorda and Guavaberry Spring Bay for 2 wonderful weeks at the beginning of February, 2014. As Shorn drove us from the ferry dock we passed Chez Bamboo. I asked how the restaurant was doing and he reported it was doing very well.

Again we asked Tina Goschler, proprietress of Guavaberry Spring Bay to join us for dinner, and again she said “how about Chez Bamboo.” As Susan and I had enjoyed our last evening there we said sure. Tina arranged reservations and we arrived and were immediately made to feel like special guests. Now, I know coming with Tina may have given us some additional standing, as Guavaberry Spring Bay is one of the island's most popular resorts, but Tina wasn’t doing the cooking or the serving; that would be the exclusive province of Chez Bamboo’s staff who probably didn’t even know Tina was on the property.

The service was cordial, sincere and all around excellent. Susan, Tina and I all chose seafood as our main course, all a different species and all prepared differently. Each was superb. Desert, well here I lose all objectivity because if it’s sweet and its chocolate, I’m probably going to like it. Chez Bamboo did not let me down.

Some reviewers have complained (or better put “griped”) about the price. I thought the prices were very reasonable, particularly when you factor in that almost all of the meal would have had to be brought in by boat! I can only imagine that running an upscale restaurant with the challenges of an underdeveloped island infrastructure and a limited labor pool presents many obstacles to achieving consistency. But, Chez Bamboo, under the watchful eye of owner Rose Giacinto pulls it off night after night and has justly earned the reputation as the restaurant of choice by locals and tourists alike. Well done, Rose and we’ll see you next time we’re in Paradise.

RoseVG50, Owner at Chez Bamboo, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Chez Bamboo. We do take pride in our great food and service and love it when our customers are happy and satisfied with the quality, effort, and nice ambiance we try and create for them. We look forward to seeing you again!!

There are newer reviews for Chez Bamboo

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We ate here twice during our visit and both times the food was excellent. The owner stopped by to chat and everyone was very pleasant. Drinks were fresh and quite tasty, as well. Definitely a good choice for dinner in Virgin Gorda!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Over the course of 34 years visiting Virgin Gorda, Rose Giacinto has mastered the art of being a trend setter and mastering the art of running an excellent restaurant on a small tropical island. Popular with locals, visitors and celebrities such as Morgan Freeman and Richard Geer. Chez Bamboo embodies the best of Virgin Gorda's.,There's a great variety on the menu, small bites, Tapas, Asian flare as well as full entree's. Things I enjoyed during a recent series of visits included various maki rolls, salmon in a penne parmesan alfredo sauce was to die for!!!! Compliments to the chef....Most of the staff has been here awhile, and service is the best on the island. Music on Friday nights. One of my favorite places to eat...

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Nice change from typical Caribean food, Sometimes it's nice to get back to NYC style cuisine.

This place has well prepared continental food; and it has a pretty good wine list, too!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Very pleased with our meal at Chez Bamboo, but on a gorgeous island, I want to see the island. So...we enjoyed the experience, and would go back, but prefer Cocomaya for great food WITH a view.