“This is the place!!!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
caribbean
“This is the place!!!!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Nightclub with a FANTASTIC restaurant. The cook Joyce should be on the food channel. Everything that comes out of that kitchen is mouth watering. Don't miss this restaurant when you go to Virgin Gorda, is fact, if you like excellent food you will not want to eat anywhere else!

Visited December 2012

Alexandria, Virginia
“Fine Dining!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Chez Bamboo has been around for a while and in the past it was hit or miss.
Now it is great!

The restaurant has a mix of Asian and Latin food, which was all delicious. I had Chicken Satay for an appetizer and then the special was Penne Pasta in Alfredo sauce with chicken...man was it good!
My wife had a salad, some olives, sushi and some dumplings. She thoroughly enjoyed her dinner!

The drinks were amazing; the martinis were strong and delicious!

The ambiance is perfect for this restaurant; the lighting, decor, and water were all very relaxing.

Service can be a little slow, but your food comes out hot. It's definitely in walking distance of the Yacht Harbor.

The prices tend to be on the higher side, so just be prepared for that, but the food is quite good.

Visited June 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Never judge a place by what it looks like from the street!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Chez Bamboo sits near the edge of the road across from the ferry dock. You see it when your taxi drives you to or from the dock. It doesn’t look like much in the day time, just a building nearly obscured from view by a tall bamboo fence. That and a sign reading “Chez Bamboo,” is about it, so I never gave the place a second thought. I figured it was probably a local eatery, not that there is anything wrong with that, but when you’re on vacation in Virgin Gorda in the beautiful British Islands, you’re not likely to spend much time in the local hangouts.

We were staying at Guavaberry Spring Bay where I had stayed on several occasions over the past twenty years or so, and had gotten to know the owner Tina Goschler. When I booked our two week visit, I asked Tina if she would do Susan and me the honor of letting us take her to dinner. She said, she would be thrilled to have a nice night “off property,” and accepted. I told her, as she knew the island, I’d letter her pick the place. You guessed it, Chez Bamboo was her choice.

We arrived at Chez Bamboo after dark and as we approached I noted that the property was beautifully lit with strategically placed lighting, some in the trees, some around the building and some located in the ground shining on the trees. I’m beginning to reconsider my earlier road view assessment. When we entered the front garden area located behind the bamboo fence, my road view assessment went out the window, the place was beautiful. The owner, who of course knew Tina greeted us and took us to a table in the garden area next to a gurgling water feature.

From there on, it was one pleasant surprise after another. The cocktails were good size and they didn’t skimp on the liquor, the menu was so varied that it took two cocktails to study it, giving Tina, Susan and I, a nice chance to visit. I asked Tina to choose the wine, as I’m not much of an authority on wine. We dined on local fish, handmade pastas wonderful vegetables and topped if off with a sinfully delicious desert and cappuccino.

Would Chez Bamboo challenge some of the truly fine restaurants stateside, maybe not. But, when you consider that everything served at Chez Bamboo has to be imported, that the labor pool on the island is limited and the infrastructure of Virgin Gorda is vastly inferior to our major cities, to pull of what they did is truly amazing. The evening was delightful and made me think how much the chef and servers at Chez Bamboo had to overcome to reach the very high level of quality and ambiance they presented. It was excellent!!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Michael B
RoseVG50, Owner at Chez Bamboo, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
We thank you for your review on Chez Bamboo and appreciate your comments..We do our best to please every customer in their dining experience with us..understanding fully the situation we have being on the main street on Virgin Gorda. We hope that every customer that walks through our gates loves the atmosphere we have created for them!!
Marietta, Georgia
“Great service & too much great food!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We over ordered and loaded up on the appetizers! Blackened conch, sushi combo, soup and ceviche. By the time the food arrived, I was full! My advice is to slow down. The service was fantastic with a very fun and attentive waitress. Would definitely go back!

• Visited May 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“One of the best, if not the best on VG”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Beautiful, charming, wonderful food, the stunning owner, Rose, drinks, tapas, Asian Fusion specials. Another not to miss restaurants on VG

Visited May 2013