“Best Option around ALBA, Italy”

Relais San Maurizio
Sao Paulo, SP
“Best Option around ALBA, Italy”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

It is no doubt the best option around Alba, Piemonte, Italy. The Relais San Maurizio is located in Santo Stefano di Belbo a small village near Alba, about 20 minutes driving distance. It is placed on the top of the hill surrounded by vineyards 360°. Really amazing. It is an old monastery (17th century) completely renovated with nice rooms and suites. It has the best restaurant of the area Da Guido where you eat an egg with white truffles (season is October to late December) that you will not find similar anywhere in Alba. Service is charming and gently. I have already stayed there about 5 times and will come back soon.

Room Tip: Try to saty on the main building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank OASette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

This was my 3rd stay at San Maurizio Hotel. I was totally surprised at the changes that had been made to enhance the hotel ands extensive grounds. I love going there. You can walk around quite happily thinking of Monks in meditation or gardening. There is a fab outdoor pool that sparkles in the sunlight (the tiles are of course Italian), and even though there were workers on the other side of it hidden away (they are building new rooms), I was just happy to be in the middle of a hilly countryside painted with grapevines. We had a 12 course taste sensation meal and wines that the friendly staff chose for us. Our giant bed was very hard but the staff at the reception said that all the beds were like this. We just have to ask for them to put an over mattress on. Good to know for the next time. Don't know why we never asked before. Breakfast lots of choice and excellent quality food. Really friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank RMAN2656
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The setting of this beautiful hotel is just breathtaking. The views near and far are a feast for the eyes: Patchworks of vineyards in the distance are counterbalanced with lovely gardens on the grounds with boarders of fresh lavender all around. We were with a group of friends and had several functions at the hotel which were well planned and executed. One highlight was a fireworks display that was probably the best I have ever seen. The food was very good and the buffet breakfast was excellent.

Service was charming and friendly, but sometimes they seemed a bit shorthanded. For example, coffee that never came at breakfast. But they tried hard and small requests were handled graciously and with a smile.

I didn't use the spa, so can't comment on that.

The rooms were lovely and the amenities and linens excellent. It is a wonderfully comfortable place to stay. We were sad to leave this little oasis and would recommend it highly!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I came here as part of a Backroads private tour in Piedmont and fully enjoyed my stay. The service was very professional, my room was spotless and beautifully furnished, and the breakfast buffet was excellent. The setting is gorgeous, with wonderfully landscaped gardens and views of the surrounding wine country and villages. I love that the hotel is an old monastery - it has a lot of character, yet all the modern comforts. The pool area is a little stark - they could use some more landscaping or more/better umbrellas. Overall, a wonderful stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is one gorgeous hotel - an old monastery in fact. The reception and service were top notch. The room was set to high standards and the views are very nice. The hotel's grounds are beautiful and fun to discover (in one corner there was a huge egg shaped covered swinging bed large enough for two to snuggle in hanging from a large tree). The spa looked great although because of the great weather we opted for the outdoor pool. Against my intuition, we ate at the restaurant and we were disappointed. The food was very average and highly overpriced (25eur for one glass of wine). For food, you are better off sampling some of the smaller restaurants nearby. However, the breakfast buffet was outstanding.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Seasonedtraveller023
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had spent 2 weeks in the wine country, and my stay was coming to an end. I wanted to spend my last evening relaxing by the pool, and enjoying a spa. I was referred to this spot as it was only a few miles from my villa. At 1st I thought the fee for the visit was a little much, however I indulged anyway, and so glad I did. The spa is amazing. I enjoyed everything from the salt path, roman shower, turkish bath and even had a massage. I enjoy visiting spas worldwide, and this one definitely gets a 5 star in my book. Unique, relaxing and absolutely amazing. I also had an appertivo in the bar, and had the opportunity to meet James. He made me feel at home. The view is also fabulous! I hope to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sheryl K
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was the last stop for my wife and I on our journey though Italy - and I can say this hotel is the most amazing we have run across - maybe ever. We love great hotels and properties throughout the world and always try to find special locations to try.

We knew we were in for a treat when we checked in. The hotel (an old monastery) has panoramic breathtaking views of the hills and vineyards of the Piedmonte. Conveniently within an hour of most of the major winemaking areas of the area.

First off, there is a GREAT bar - and James (the bar keep) is second to none in his knowledge of the areas wines. He even setup a visit for us to a local sparkling wine maker which was a great two hours of our lives - and helped me procure some of the wine he served which we loved.

The front desk is very helpful - they responded to our emails about scheduling during our trip before we arrived - and made several last minute adjustments for us without flinching.

The breakfast was excellent - the Spa is very nice and the Salt Baths are something we had never tried before - but really enjoyed. Yes, they charge for its access as I saw someone complain about in a previous review - as they should. I am sure it is a major investment - and I was happy to pay for its use.

Our suite was top notch - every detail was well crafted and thought out - from the cookies and wine greeting our arrival - to the delicious bathrobes and comfy beds (not hard like a previous review, at least not in my room).

Overall - a true five star experience and worth every penny.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Le Botti
#2 of 3 in Guarene
Corte Gondina Boutique Hotel
Relais Sant'Uffizio Wellness & SPA

Been to Relais San Maurizio? Share your experiences!