“Best Happy Hour/Breakfast & Dinner”
Review of The Clubhouse at Frenchmans - CLOSED

The Clubhouse at Frenchmans
Cuisines: French, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Try the tacos at Happy Hour. The chef makes great specials for continental breakfast. Dinner is first class.

1  Thank FrancieH

Reviewed August 16, 2012

we had all of our breakfasts here, and they were phenomenal. we had dinner here once, and it was delicious. happy hours were also great. the restaurant, when we were there, was never crowded, so it felt like we had our own personal chef.

1  Thank JessintheChi
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We ate here for breakfast 7 times, once for dinner and twice for the taco happy hour. Our group of 4 didn't have a bad meal the whole time. Chef Paul and all of his meals are amazing

1  Thank ChicagoJillo
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The most arrogant Chef ever. Worst food ever. They were in a rush to close and the chef limited the menu to just a couple of things and it was only 8:00 p.m As the night was slow he wanted to leave and mede a terrible dinner for ur group. The only thing he did not know that we were all food critics. The management must hire another chef.

Chefpaulm, Owner at The Clubhouse at Frenchmans, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Wow. The worst chef ever AND the most arrogant. And this is from a bona fide food critic. I’ve never claimed to be the best, but geez, I had no idea I was the worst ever. If I had known, I surely would have fired my sorry butt long ago.

Someone recently told me I should try to be nicer, or at least more diplomatic when I reply to these trumped up reviews. I’ve always said life’s to short to suffer liars and fools, but I’ll do my best.

The big difference between a person who posts a review on sites like this and the establishment’s owner, whose only recourse is to write a response such as I am now, is that the reviewer is allowed to hide behind anonymity, while the owner is not, and therefore has to be honest.

In the three plus decades that I’ve been in this business, I’ve dealt with countless food critics, and the one common thread I’ve found between them is that they, by definition, critique the food they eat in the establishment being reviewed. The reason this “food critic” did not so much as mention what they had is because they, as they and I both know, did not eat here. In fact, they never even looked at the menu.

The evening in question was, as said in the review, very slow, which is not abnormal for a week night this time of year. It being the off season we only do our early seating, 6-7:30 pm, unless we have reservations for a later hotel guest arrival. We do take walk in business, but that sector makes up less than five percent of our dinner traffic, as we are well off the beaten path. The “reviewer” and three others came in a little past 8:30, with no reservation, and said they were sent here to eat by the people at the last restaurant they were in (why they were sent away to eat I can only speculate) The hostess came to the open kitchen and asked me if I wanted them seated, while giving me a small shake of the head. I, seeing this, said to tell them the kitchen is completely shut down (which was true), and suggest they make a reservation for another time. She told them, and then called them a cab. I then asked what the head shake was about. She said they seemed to have been already sufficiently served, and thought they would be more trouble than the business was worth. She has very good judgment in these areas.
They left, as I said, without eating here or even so much as glancing at the menu.
Also, my entire staff can testify that I have never, ever “limited the menu to just a couple of things”. We always offer the full evening’s menu to a customer.

I can only guess as to what the writer has been able to, or hopes to gain from this. I have, however, written an open letter with few suggestions for this reviewer:

Dear “Food Critic”,
It seems you don’t agree with our off season policies, and were obviously upset with decisions made as they pertained to you. I am available to discuss this with you at any time convenient to you, in that I am always open to constructive ideas and suggestions, and would love to hear your thoughts. However, your lying and name calling are really quite childish, and in very poor taste.
But, if you want to continue to pose as a food critic to slag off establishments, I have included an outline of my constructive critique of your review. I hope this helps you achieve your future goals.

A. Make a reservation at the establishment you are going to review.
B. Actually eat some food, and try to make some educated sounding observations.
C. Substantiate your nasty comments with statements that at least border on factual.
D. Only make nasty comments about people you have spoken to at least once.
E. Attempt to substantiate those comments as well.
F. Learn the definition of arrogant (a mirror might be a helpful tool here)
G. Learn to form a sentence.
H. Be consistent in your capitalization.
I. Put your name to your opinion if you want it to at least seem worth reading, and
J. Use a spell checking software to check your spelling (that’s what they’re mede fur).

Warmest regards,
Paul T. Mason
Chef/Owner - The Clubhouse at Frenchmans

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at Frenchmans for our honeymoon and had breakfast at the clubhouse every morning as well as 2 dinners there during our stay. The breakfasts included a continental breakfast with homemade yogurt, granola and fruit or the chef's daily special which was anything from a breakfast burrito to mango pancakes. Each breakfast was amazing and we really looked forward to going down each morning. Dinner was even more amazing, the smoked salmon appetizer is delicious, everything we ate was delicious. When we go back to Tortola we will eat here again.

2  Thank Lauren L