“Outstanding Time on Celavie”
Review of BVI Yacht Charters

BVI Yacht Charters
Ranked #6 of 25 Tours in Road Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The British Virgin Islands are widely considered among the world's finest sailing destinations and for the past 20 years, BVI Yacht Charters have been the first port of call for those looking to explore Natures Little Secrets. Unmatched for choice and quality of yacht, island knowledge, contacts and customer service, BVIYC have every base covered to make this the vacation of a lifetime. The 60 islands that make up the BVIs are not just about sailing. They are famed for their amazing scuba and snorkeling spots, historical wrecks, delicious food and great nightlife. The fantastic BVI Yacht Charters team will guide you through everything from the initial enquiry to returning to dock, meaning you have a stress free experience.
Washington
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Outstanding Time on Celavie”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We just returned from a great charter on Celavie, a 44' FP Cat. The boat was in great condition and sailed well. We were two families with 4 boys and never felt cramped for the entire week. We visited Cooper, The Dogs, North Sound, Anegada, and Peter Island. If you do make the trip to Anegada take a cab to Loblolly Bay and plan on lunch at the Big Bamboo, it's worth the trip.

Provisioning was done through Riteway, all food was delivered, stowed, and was of good quality. We also rented SUP's and Kayaks through BVIYC. Check in and check out were easy and efficient. Thank You BVIYC for a great trip!

Visited April 2014

London
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“6 days Sailing in March”
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We have just returned from our sailing holiday on one of the BVI YC boats. My husband and I took a 31 ft Beneteau for 5 nights and sailed out to Norman, behind Peters Salt and Cooper, back into Cooper island beach club, Spanish Town, North Sound, Jost Van Dyke and back to Road Town. A great trip.

Check in was rather slow. We were told that we should arrive get our provisions, get the boat checked out and have a briefing at 10am. Briefing was 10:30 and we had still not had the check out. So much for heading out early as we had been promised on booking. Make sure you are not planning on sailing too far on day 1!

There were a number of problems with our boat, we took mooring bouys at most overnight stops. When we needed to anchor at the Baths we were unable to work the windless to lower the anchor. We have quite a bit of sailing experience between us and i have no idea when the anchor was last needed but it just did not work. We ended up motoring into Spanish town and taking a berth in the marina. After further examination we were still unable to sort the problem so called Anthony on the mobile who suggested we try all the things we had already tried (good to know we were not being stupid!). An engineer came out to us several hours later, a waste of a day really but he figured the windless system had been broken and replaces the parts needed. Too late for use to anchor at the baths on our trip - next time!

The check out at the end took a bit of time. We were leaving straight away on the CIBC boat back to cooper island for our last few days, so we needed to turn around in reasonable time. We were glad we left Jost at 6:30am to get back with more time than we thought we needed - as we needed it!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank AnnaTwickenham
Los Angeles, California
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great trip, might not charter again”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I was wavering between 3 and 4 stars, but ultimately chose 3 for the reasons listed below.

We chartered Syros (43' Beneteau) for a week, and there were six of us on board (my parents, my sister and brother-in-law, and my boyfriend & me)...before I get into the nitty gritty, I will say: we had a great week. We had near-perfect weather, and I think we hit the sweet spot between February and March school breaks, so not too many crowds, kids, etc. I also must let you know that this was my parents' third charter with BVI.

Pros:
- The staff are all very nice and friendly, and very helpful
- They allow you to store your luggage in their warehouse, which saved us the expense of having to purchase new luggage (duffle bags) for the trip
- The shower & bathroom facilities are nice enough (compared to some other stops along the way), and best of all, you can have as long a shower as you want for "free" (I say "free" because I assume it's all built into the cost of the charter)
- My Dad was impressed with the vast amount of information & recommendations that were given during the Captain's meeting before we set out
- My parents were given a small return-customer discount (5%, I think?)
- A piece of metal attached to the mast came loose & was in danger of ripping the jib. They sent someone out to us at the Bitter End the same day to fix it. They also sent someone out next-day (next-day, as we were at an achorage on the other side of Peter Island when we called) to us in Soper's Hole to look at an anchor problem and the bathrooms (but the bathrooms were not fixed).
- During my parents' trip down (we were all coming from different cities), they met someone who, when they said we were chartering with BVI, said something along the lines of "oh good, they have a very good, safe fleet"...which is always nice to hear!

Cons:
- There was definitely a huge problem with all three heads on the boat that was not rectified before the boat was turned over to us. There's no way they couldn't have known, as they all smelled horrible ("Horrible" doesn't adequately describe it. Multiply that by 10, or so), and remained so for the entire trip. So bad that I didn't even leave a toothbrush in our head, for fear that some of the "stank" might permeate the bristles. So bad that I would "hold it" whenever possible, in favor of ANY other facility on land. We purchased spray air freshener & little gel air fresheners to sit in each head, and none of that made any difference.
- The marina is in a weird/sketchy area...I know, for the most part, the BVI are pretty safe, but, for example, the first night on the boat, I made my boyfriend accompany me to the bathroom in the middle of the night because I didn't want to walk up alone.
- This is minor, but for people budgeting: they say on the website the wifi is $125 for a week, but for the week, we ended up paying around $160. You sign up yourself through the provider online. Once you pay, multiple devices can have access, however, the service is not stellar, so don't plan on consistent service.
- The biggest issue I have overall is how problems were treated at the end of our charter. Given that we had some issues (I consider the bathroom issue huge, however as we were coming back in, another boat was a few slips down from us and we overheard that their stove didn't work the entire week, so I guess it's all relative), and the fact that my parents are repeat customers, my Dad hoped to be offered a better discount or some kind of deal for a future charter (because there's no question that my family will be back to the BVI again). Instead, I believe he was reimbursed for the 4 gallons of fuel we purchased at the end of the charter. This was insulting enough that for future trips, we will be taking a second look at other charter companies. My family values customer service above all else, and we felt BVI did not fully deliver in that area.

Visited March 2014
8 Thank MagsSoCal
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“solid boat”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We chartered the Gitana. It had ample room for the five of us and the monohull was excellent for sailing. we went to Anagada and back with no problems.

Visited January 2014
Dallas, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Best of The Second Tier Charter Bases”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

If you're looking to bareboat or do a crewed charter in the BVI, these are the folks you want to work with. While you can get newer and snazzier boats in the BVI, you're going to pay a whole lot more money for not much more boat. Their fleet is big and offers all price points from big to small, from Cats to Monohulls.
Conveniently located in Joma Marina, close to shopping but far enough away from the busiest areas of Roadtown, the marina has 24 hr security and offers a nice breeze while at the dock. The marina has an excellent showerhouse and a locker full of flippers and snorkel for their guests. The boats are well maintained by a cracker jack crew headed up by Anthony and are eager to help. The office is staffed by friendly, efficient and helpful staff headed up by Abbie Turner.
So if you're looking to do a dream vacation of a lifetime, go with BVIYC and use your savings towards your air travel costs or second trip. I've been bareboating in the BVI for a few decades and have tried several, but keep coming back to the best in it's class.

Visited March 2013