“A beach, sailboats and sunsets ten feet from our porch”

Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Atlanta, Georgia
“A beach, sailboats and sunsets ten feet from our porch”
Reviewed December 9, 2010

A catastrophic storm which destroyed our house coupled with my wife's landmark birthday left us in dire need of some serious, very remote chillin'. We fortunately found it at Fort Recovery with a villa right on the beach and incredible views of both St. John and a myriad of boats crossing the channel. Our sunset photographs would almost bring tears to your eyes. Most importantly, my wife got to relax on our private beach just ten feet from our porch and loved every minute of it. The room was larger than expected and included a small kitchen which was helpful - "remote" is great but it means their isn't much around so we'd suggest bringing some snacks and spirits with you. The big red bow on this present was the manager, Pamela, and the wonderful folks in the office. She tended to every need, and was instrumental in getting my hurry-up-city-boy butt to wind down and get on island time mon! When my wife was craving diet Coke, bam, there it was. Taxi, no problem. Ferry schedule, she'll call. My wife and I have been blessed to travel the world, and we both concur Fort Recovery is a real jewel comfortably situated on - to borrow lyrics from Steely Dan - a piece of island cooling in the sea. Don't miss this one if you're headed to BVI and want to avoid the crowds.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tojoro
FortRecovery, Manager at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful review of us!

I am so happy that we were able to make your stay here a relaxing and care-free experience, especially after you were under a great deal of stress prior to arriving. We always try everything we can to make your stay at Fort Recovery as easy and stress-free as possible, even if it is just a Diet Coke and a Taxi! Do take care and we wish you all the best. We hope you are able to get away again and stay with us sometime in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Our spacious and comfortable suite fronting directly onto the private beach provided the ideal place for a relaxing, romantic break. Beautiful sunsets can be enjoyed from your own balcony. With its friendly and efficient staff and a wide range of services including a well appointed spa, the hotel provided everything we needed for our trip. Arriving in the evening, the hotel even contacted us en route to make sure we would have dinner available upon arrival, a sure sign that they care about their guests.
Conveniently located for access to the beautiful West End beaches of Tortola, only a short taxi ride from a choice of good local restaurants.
Thoroughly Recommended!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank citymadmandi
Bridgetown, Barbados
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I am currently staying at Fort Recovery and I unfortunately check out in about 4 days time. It's not my first time here, however each time makes me realize that this must be, if not the best place to stay in Tortola, then it's definitely way up there. The accommodation, furnishings, beds etc. are so comfortable and the attention to detail is impressive. The staff are lovely and bend over backwards to make your stay a stay to remember. The ocean views from the balcony are stunning and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Tortola. It's an ideal spot for honeymooners, couples, and families, but even as a single traveler on business it gives you the peace and quiet needed to conduct business and relax in your off time!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank Scary
FortRecovery, Manager at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2010
Thank you for your wonderful review of Fort Recovery! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations and had a good experience. We hope you are able to return in the future and that we can make your next stay with us even more memorable!
watermadsam
Reviewed October 9, 2010

A few years ago, I wrote a glowing review about Fort Recovery on this site. At that time I had stayed there with my entire family. This time I went there alone because I wanted to relax and take some time out just to chill and have some 'me' time. Getting back there brought back memories of the last time that I was there. I was amazed at some of the new stuff that been added since my last visit. Things like the eight-bedroom villa and the gym. My one-bedroom villa was perfect for my needs and I could relax on the private beach. Then there was the food - excellent. Anita and Pamelah were still there and the staff were all very helpful and professional. I really missed not bringing the rest of my family along. They would have loved it. Having said that, it made me realise that Fort Recovery could cater for both the single traveller and the family. At the spur of the moment, I've decided to go back there for three weeks in the next few weeks. That's the pull that Fort Recovery has had on me. I recomend it highly.

Sam (Cambridgeshire, UK)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank watermadsam
Thank you Sam for your new review of us. We are always very proud when our guests are so pleased with their stay here! Thank you again, hope you are able to bring your family along next time!
Rockford, IL
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We stayed 4 nights in August at Fort Recovery with our 2 grown kids & our 2 year old granddaughter. Pamelah & I had communicated via phone & email prior to our visit to insure the accommodations would be appropriate for us, AND IT WAS AWESOME! They went out of their way to insure all our needs & many requests were met. From the time we arrived, it felt we were visiting a friend, not a guest of a hotel.

The accommodations are very clean (and I am a hard one to please in that regard), quite spacious and directly on the beach. It’s not a huge powder white beach, but more than adequate for size of the property. We found all the staff to be more than accommodating and extremely friendly. In addition Pamelah went out of her way repeatedly to accommodate us. She gave excellent recommendations & even made arrangements for excursions at our next destination.

Can’t wait to go back to our new home away from home!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank teriw1214
Austin, tx
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I am a bit delayed in writing this review. My husband and I got married here on May 1st. We had a total of 20 people and everyone had a great time. We did some day trips and also just lounged by the beach or the pool. Everyone there is super nice, we had some issues with having hot water and they took care of it to the best of their abilities. Coming to the BVI you shouldnt expect a 5 star US type experiece, its not the way of the islands. Cute, nice rooms always clean and an ocean breeze. Who needs more? Pamelah was great and took care of everything, we just sent emails and an occasional phone call, and it was all set. Our group pretty much had the entire place to ourselves and everyone one had a good time and wants to go back. How often does that happen?

• Stayed April 2010
3 Thank Tortola510
Thank you for your review of us! Congratulations again on your wedding!! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and hope that your big event was special & memorable for you and your guests!

Best Wishes,

The Fort Recovery Staff
Natick, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I recently stayed at Fort Recovery. I had the chance to stay two weeks and was quite thrilled with my choice. I’ve been to a lot of Caribbean Hotels and honestly the accommodations at Fort Recovery were very different. My original plan coming to Tortola was to look for property to buy. By the time I got to the hotel, I was so tired; my big plans to scour the island for available real estate became a very exhausting concept.
The hotel however turned out to be very inviting. The first thing I noticed was the cleanliness. This is a quality that even in the nicest of Caribbean Hotels I haven’t found this always to be true. I am a stickler for cleanliness and choosing a beachfront property is not always guaranteed as the sea can sometimes bring a lot of dust.
The layout of the villa suite was also different. In most hotels I’ve found one large room with a little sitting area and fridge. In my villa I had a patio with private beach chairs, a table and a bucket of fresh water to clean my feet off from the ocean – a nice touch. Then there was a complete private living room with couch, end tables, lamps, beautiful paintings on the wall unlike other hotels where there is standard art around. Most of the paintings were local acrylics, one of which I wanted to purchase but instead the main office actually called the artist and he came down to the hotel and I purchased a lovely painting for $300 of a tropical scene with a beautiful sunset small enough to fit into my luggage.
The living room also had an extra chair and shelves filled with a lot of books. I happened to be a fan of the new book Eat, Pray, Love and a lot of the books were “New Age” type books along with current novels which I love to read. One of the favorite things I do on vacation is read and since I haven’t broken down and purchased a Kindle having real books available to me was great. After reading three Patterson Novels I came to the office to look to see if they had any more in the series and they took me to another villa where there were more books and I found two more. A great find.
The villa actually had a separate bedroom with bathroom and great AC. Although most hotels have AC, I was delighted by the modern looked like newly renovated style of the bathrooms. They were very modern and tiled with an unusual stone tile. The housekeeping everyday was very good with new clean great smelling towels and very nice people tending to the cleaning. I always enjoy meeting the local people. Most of the workers were from other countries like Jamaica, Dominican Republic which was great as I could practice my Spanish, St. Vincent, Guyana, and Haiti. It was like a little United Nations of the Caribbean.
I found Tortola a nice island to visit. It was very easy to take ferries to other islands. I made a trip to Peter Island. I had heard a lot about the hotel and wanted to indulge myself a little. The ferry ride was OK, not my favorite. It took a half hour. When I entered the resort it was nicely decorated. In the reception area they had a lovely collection of framed butterflies, internet services and the pool. I wasn’t allowed to use the pool as I wasn’t a guest but since I ate lunch there I was able to use the beach but not right in front of the hotel. I had to walk a bit to find a chair usable for non guests. This kind of annoyed me, especially since there weren’t any guests on the beach; however they seem to be very strict. All in all, I liked the place but I wouldn’t necessarily want to pay that much for a room not as big as where I was staying.
I rented a car on Tortola for a few days and drove to Cane Garden Bay beach one day. I forgot that Tortola has cruise ships occasionally so I ran into one of those days; however the cruisers left the beach around 3pm so it wasn’t that bad. I had been recommended to go to Myetts a beach bar but they were in the middle of lunch and dinner so I could only get snacks and drinks. They made a nice sweet drink for me with strawberries and rum. It was super tasty. I wasn’t that impressed with the décor, although it was very tropical it felt a bit cluttered and messy. After that I walked along the beach, took a swim and went back to Fort Recovery.
All in all I would definitely go back to Tortola, stay at Fort Recovery and if I had the chance to buy one of their villas I would be very happy as beachfront property for sale is extremely hard to come by in the Caribbean and on Tortola.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Bitter End Yacht Club
Bitter End Yacht Club
#1 of 1 in North Sound

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!