“Quiet, unassuming charm”

Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed April 11, 2010

This is a great departure from the usual over-pampered island resort experience: very quiet location in a grove of palm trees, beach access, small pier, and awesome views of St John USVI (and its ATT mobile network signal!). Rooms are modest apartments, clean and comfortable. Breakfast and dinner also modest, but genuine, home-cooked, and served with a smile. Very friendly staff.

Would recommend this to anyone wanting a nice place to relax in a quiet, hassle-free setting.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank trevortravel

Reviewed April 10, 2010

I frequently go to the Caribbean. This year we decided to try Tortola. I read a nice article in the Boston Globe about the island and have trusted their travel opinions for years. I wanted to take a special trip with myself and my daughter Danielle. She just turned 11 and we’ve never travelled together just her and I. After scanning the internet for a place to stay, we came upon Fort Recovery Villas. I was impressed by their website and enjoyed reading the reviews on trip advisor. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised, as the website photos did not do justice to the real place. We were literally fifteen feet from the beach and had a suite with a fully equipped kitchen. My daughter has special food needs, so this was really helpful. We were greeted by Matt and Pamelah with big smiles. They were both very friendly and gave us a tour. We were especially interested in trying some of the spa services. I wanted to give my daughter her first experience with a facial and of course a manicure and a pedicure. We really enjoyed ourselves tremendously. We stayed five nights and wanted to plan things, so we had enough to do, but plenty of relaxation time. Pamelah helped us in the office plan a day trip to Cooper Island and an afternoon swimming with the dolphins. After our lazy days hanging out on the beach at Fort Recovery reading books , playing with the dogs, sunbathing and swimming we ordered dinner a few nights from the restaurant and had them serve us in our villa. This was a very special treat. Towards the end of the trip we wanted to leave with a truly tropical experience. The office recommended and contacted captain Paul who was more than willing to take us out for a couple hours on his sailboat to see the sunset. We were so relaxed we didn’t want to come home. But alas the trip came to an end and back to MA to see our family and dog. Next time we will bring everyone to show them what a beautiful and friendly island Tortola is.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank djgmommy
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Our family has been coming down do the British Virgin Islands for twenty years and are so in love with the country. For the past five years or so we have stayed at one of the beachfront villas at Fort Recovery and are always so happy to be "home" once we arrive. The owner, manager and staff welcome us with open arms and open hearts - like family. The accomodations are first class and the views are spectacular. We highly recommend Fort Recovery!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank captains2000
Reviewed April 8, 2010

First stayed here 15 years ago on our Honeymoon. Returning this year they have expanded and upgraded with a restaurant and pool. Great rooms with good service. Food was OK. Did have some great sailing with Capt. Paul of Freedom Charters recommended by the staff. Quiet and great place for the kids. Calm beach front on the leeward side of the island.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank docddhd
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Fort Recovery is a wonderful place to relax and take in the environment.The massages were wonderful Ivet gives a superb reflexology and Lalita gave me the best facial I have ever had. The staff was super accomidating and would point out special beaches and restaurants on the island.I had a very special time there, It was peaceful at the resort and when i wanted to go out it was easy finding my way around.I highly recommend a vacation here.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank luluevolve
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I have travelled extensively throughout the world. The Caribbean has always been a favorite for lazy days and a sun filled holiday. This year we decided to spend our 10th anniversary at Fort Recovery. We signed up for the package. We enjoyed ourselves tremendously. The hotel and our rooms were very clean. The beds were comfortable and lovely sheets and pillowcases. The service staff was extremely attentive and nice. My favorite part of the trip honestly was hanging out on my deck reading my new sony gadget. I had downloaded five books before leaving and was able to finish them all. When I was hot and sleepy I would spend midday lazing in my room, which was beautifully appointed and had a modern feeling. Very spacious. The package was a good choice for us. Our best time was on the boat trip included which left right from Fort Recovery. The other guests, captain and crew were really nice. The dinners and breakfasts were well worth it. The island has other restaurants, however Fort Recovery was a good value and equal too if not better than most other places. One place we did enjoy the food and the price was good was the Boat House. It was the best pizza I ever had. The spa experience at Fort Recovery was lovely. With the package we got a free half hour massage however since they offered aromatherapy and hot stone massage we decided to add an extra half hour to each of our massages. It was well worth it. I also indulged in a facial and body wrap. The girls were so attentive and helpful. I would recommend the spa to anyone. We did do two other day trips. One to Jost Van Dyke which had a lovely beach called White Bay the other trip to Virgin Gorda. The hotel office office recommended a day package to Virgin Gorda for $50 it included round trip ferry, taxi to the baths and lunch. A great deal and the Baths are extraordinary.
I am hoping to come back to Fort Recovery next year. It was one of the most relaxing vacations I've had in a long time.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sshaprio1113
Reviewed March 15, 2010

We had high hopes for our visit to Fort Recovery - it came recommended and we saw plenty of positive reviews on Trip Advisor. However, it was absolutely oversold. The grounds border on shoddy - broken concrete, mud. The rental car Pamelah 'arranged' was filthy, had a cracked windshield and bald tires - and cost more than we would have spent at Hertz - the 'convenience' was not worth it. "Continental Breakfast" was white or wheat (not whole) toast, juice, coffee. No 'delicious pastries' as billed. Big heap of sand at one end of beach, as described by another reviewer. Cockroaches in room. We arrived as it was getting dark, expecting to eat dinner in the restaurant, and were told that Thursday night is chef's night off. Then we found out the restaurant would be closed an additional night due to a holiday - our last night. Especially given the price we were paying, a simple notification by email about the restaurant's unavailability on these two nights would have been appreciated - and honestly, not too much to ask.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Bay Beach Club
Long Bay Beach Club
#7 of 25 in Tortola
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!