“Am I missing something?”

Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Cheaspeake city
“Am I missing something?”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We were told "don't tell TripAdvisor". We were island hopping trying different hotels and planning future trips. We have been all over the virgin islands and to Tortola before and had a nice time. Room we reserved wasn't available and we weren't told in advance. Rooms are clean, nice and have a view. However, they missed the mark, windows and doors whistled as the wind blew thru. the air conditioner was very dated and loud. The palm trees raked across the metal roof all night keeping us awake. Tv was tiny and could not be watched from bed, also remotes weren't programmed and most of the channels weren't available. Nothing complementary in the room, water or coffee. Full kitchen yes, only had two glasses and one was clipped. We went to sit on the beach and ALL of the lounge chairs were broken. Beach is very small but would do in a pinch. Restaurant is available but only if you order your dinner in the morning. the restaurant looks like the picture but that is basically all of it, very small and I wouldn't recommend it. Breakfast is 12.99 for a basic meal, 2.00 gratuity is added to the meal. Never saw the lounge, drinks were available if you asked at the desk. Pool was a pool not nice not bad, in between the buildings no real view of anything. Common area was clean and open. it was a little tight for the taxi vans to get in and out especially with the managements Audi sitting in the way. Just thought that was rude, employee parking should be out of the way. Nothing is within walking distance of the hotel. Bottom line felt they were overpriced for the condition of the hotel, hardly any amenities, web site was misleading, and felt they wanted to charge us for every little thing.
Don't understand how so many other people loved this place.

Room Tip: If you have to stay, see the room first and look at the roof for branches.
6 Thank Cmrm31md
FortRecovery, Owner at Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
One thing I do not understand is that anyone from front desk would dare to say, “Don’t tell Trip Adviser.” I frankly don’t see anything in your review to warrant that remark or to hide anything. Island hopping is an interesting fun thing to do, however, I hope you spent enough time at Fort Recovery Hotel to appreciate what you find you’re “missing” compared to our other guests feelings. The room that was not available was due to the fact that we were very booked up and check in time is not until 3pm. However, thank you for acknowledging the fact that the rooms were clean, nice and have a view. The villa suites consist of a patio or balcony, living room, kitchen, dining room area and a bedroom and bath. It is well appointed and all our beachfront suites afford panoramic views of the Caribbean. I am sorry that the night you spent here was out of the ordinary winter weather. It was terribly windy and the AC probably needed better sealing. The AC is not outdated. It is a split unit AC. If you told us about it, we would have certainly fixed it.
It also would have been really simple to move the TV to your bedroom or give you a larger one, if I knew. I think your review can only help us not hinder us by telling people to come to the office with any complaint no matter how serious it may be. so we can do something about it.
We do have coffee machines in every villa suite and complimentary coffee machine in the restaurant and the office. We are in the office and a simple call would have been much appreciated to try to give you a pleasant stay.
I went immediately to see the lounge chairs. I did not find any broken ones out for seating, but did find a stack on the side which was being repaired; again sorry. You are right that between the buildings there is no view except by the restaurant. Thank you for saying how clean the common areas are. Also a very adequate store that has almost anything you want is a six minute walk. A short drive and you will find a super market and shops that should satisfy any wants.
Sorry about the Audi owned by management. We will certainly be more careful about that. We cannot account for different people’s opinions or tastes in life but do appreciate your commenting on our rooms being clean, nice and having a view. It is a meaningful comment to us and we really appreciate your feelings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was our first trip to the BVIs and we could not have been more impressed. Tortola itself is breathtaking and we booked our room at Fort Recovery based on the reviews from TripAdvisor - we were not disappointed in the least. We had a beachfront villa with an amazing view of the ocean. The hotel staff could not be more helpful and accommodating. It was the perfect blend of a top notch hotel with the feeling of a bed and breakfast. The hotel itself is located not far from the West End and very close to the ferry. We rented a car so many of the island's restaurants and gorgeous beaches were less than a 5 min drive away. I would recommend this spot to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation.

1 Thank Allyson S
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband came down with food poisoning while on a private cruise nearby, and the amazingly helpful people at Fort Recovery were able to accommodate us with less than an hour's notice - we pulled up to their dock and we were shown to a charming, clean room within minutes. The villa's kitchen and tasty restaurant allowed me to take care of him while he recovered in comfort. All the staff were truly helpful and extremely pleasant - what to speak of the breathtaking ocean view and access. The rooms are a little dated, but who cares when you have an immaculate beach and turquoise water five steps from your room. Loved the historical aspect as well - make sure to check out the fort itself.

2 Thank J K
Tipp City
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This was a first trip to the BVIs and choose Ft Recovery based on several reviews on TripAdvisor and was not disappointed other than we could not stay longer. We stayed from Dec 5-8, 2013

Was greeted at check in and showed to and around room. We selected a lower level deluxe 1 bedroom. We stayed in unit #12. Room was not perfect, but was very nice. Loved being about 10' from the water with a full width view of the ocean. Kitchenette was adequate for a weeks stay (under counter refrigerator, microwave, sink and a couple sets of plates/ bowls, etc) Wide variety of books. Resort was very quiet and relaxing. Nearly no car noise or other guests. Loved sitting on the porch with my wife enjoying the sunset.

Beach was nice though some of the lounge chairs could be replaced. Rented some snorkel gear for the day and enjoyed that. No real coral formations (none expected) but clear water and array of fish.

Had breakfast at the resorts restaurant a couple days. Very friendly lady prepares your meal and waits on you. Was going to do dinner one night, but seems like dinner is hit or miss. Menu looked appealing and you have to let the office know by 4PM what your selection is and what time. Kind of like a Bed & Breakfast. They even offer the option to serve you in your room for an additional fee.

Pool is small and quaint. They were working on the deck when we were there, but finished our day of departure.

Would definitely stay there again and recommend to anyone wanting a relaxing, romantic getaway.

Resort is about 15-20 minutes from Road Town and 5-10 from West End. We rented a car and went to dinner in both West End, Road Town and at Nannie Cay.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James D
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Spent 10 days beginning of December in No 5, right at the beach edge,beautifully decorated with comfie settee and bed, fully equipped kitchen and clean bathroom,sheets changed every other day and towels changed daily,cleaned right through every day, can't really find any negatives, the girls looked after my wife and I superbly and offered so much help with any queries we had. The use of the bases car, which we hired just for the days we wanted it, so saving quite a lot of money overall, was a real plus. I'd recommend a stay here to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
vancouver
Reviewed November 30, 2013

i just recently spent a week at fort recovery. i was waiting for my husband who was doing a blue water sail from bermuda to tortola and who was delayed due to the weather. while i have been to the BVI afew times with my husband and/or kids, this was my first time at fort recovery and my first time alone. usually we do a boat charter with maybe afew days on shore at the end so this was a different kind of vacation for me. i LOVED my penthouse room- it had a really comfortable king bed, nice bathroom with lots of hot water, a full kitchen so i could make most of my own meals , nice living room with a good library of books to read and a balcony with gorgeous views of the ocean. all the staff were more than awesome. i felt totally safe at all times. i enjoyed the hotel beach and thought the dinners were excellent although being early in the season- they did not serve dinner every night. rita hooked me up with ms buelah- a taxi driver who i used to take me on my daily adventures. not only did she drive me where i wanted to go and picked me up at a predetermined time, but she introduced me to the local people and everyone made me feel welcome. i had a really wonderful solo holiday. i checked out the other units at fort recovery - 2,3 and 8 bedrooms - with the idea of bringing r large family here one day. they all looked good. i think fort recovery is a wonderful property and hope that i have the chance to return some day- whether by myself or with my husband and kids. thank you all for making my stay so great.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank sandbabe
Coatesville,Pa
Reviewed November 27, 2013

First time in Tortola and we were lucky to have decided on this resort.Friendly service as well as refers, food was excellent. Suite was very clean and stayed that way for the entire 12 days. They made you feel right at home

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and clean
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Scrub Island Resort, Spa & Marina, Autograph Collection
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Peter Island

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!