“Good service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Road Town
Paris, France
“Good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Friendly and comfortable with a lovely view from the balcony. Doug and the other staff made us feel at home and also arranged a snorkeling boat trip which was great. I would definitely like to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Portsmouth, Dominica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We had a family, long weekend stay at Fort Recovery. Our 3 bedroom we stayed in made me feel like I was at home and not a hotel. A very warm and friendly feel to the rooms. The view is wonderful with a constant light sea breeze. The beach in front was raked every morning and I've never seen such clean rooms! Our meals were stress free and delicious! The staff and owner were very friendly, helpful and eager to please. Doug is a real hoot!
Most people know, before booking, the location of the hotel, so don't be surprised if you need to rent a vehicle or use taxi's while there if you want to venture out.
I have recommended Fort Recovery and will keep recommending.the hotel. After just 3 days I felt stress free! Can't ask for better than that!
Keep up the good work. See you next year. Thanks

Room Tip: South side faces the water
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

It is very expensive, as most things on the island are. We stayed over Easter weekend. Upon arrival, they didn't have my booking in the system, but luckily I had brought my confirmation. They said they would put me in a one bedroom, I had booked a two, but weren't able to give me a refund on the cost difference. So then they offered me the 3 bedroom, but said I would have to switch rooms on my last day due to another booking. I refused to move rooms during my stay so they gave me the 3 bedroom, and told me how great it was that they were giving me such a wonderful upgrade. Tis true, it was an upgrade but after about an hour of discussions. The hot water ran out on the first day, the fuse blew. Then the hot water was spotty the rest of the weekend...they said it was they city's fault. The grounds and our room were very clean. The sheets in our master were scratchy. The staff is super nice and eager to please. The location was fine, but you need a car to get anywhere on the island. We had breakfast one morning, it was good. All in all, this is the most money we had ever spent on a hotel per night and I have to say the experience was not equal to the $$$. I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: The 3 bedroom 3 bath was very spacious and had a kitchen stocked with most all tools.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
Pella Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed one night before our sailing cruise, left one big suitcase here because we were coming back for one night AFTER our cruise. Well, our crew convinced us to stay one more night and so we sailed over to Fort Recovery on a mission to pick up the suitcase! Thankfully Doug and staff were there to greet us and gladly recover our suitcase to us. Also, Douglas had great advice on a restaurant with an EXCELLENT view and we felt safe and secure here. He also is happy to call for taxis/and is friendly and welcoming. We would stay here again!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoriJMorgan
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at Fort Recovery at the end of our week long sailing charter and enjoyed it immensely. From the wonderful views to the charming staff, the "home" cooked meals and Doug's personal touch on the service. The Yoga on the dock was an absolutely wonderful addition and great way to stretch our limbs after sailing. The rooms are spacious and charming, it is a very quiet and peaceful place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wendy G
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Fort Recovery for 7 nights and 8 days as part of a Sail and Stay package with the Robert Swain Sailing School (RSSS). We coordinated all of our arrangements including hotel and rental car through RSSS and it was obvious when we arrived that there is a seemless relationship between the hotel and RSSS. Since we were there for quite a while, I think our experience is representative of what you can expect. Even before we arrived, we got excellent advice on taking the ferry from St Thomas to Tortola and on car rental which saved us time and money. Doug, greeted up upon arrival and we felt welcome and at home right away. All the staff was friendly and seemed like family by the end of our 8 days. Our villa was delightful! It was literally a stones throw from the ocean and we fell asleep each night listening to the waves lapping on the shore. We only used the air conditioning when showering since there was no window in the bathroom and it got quite hot and humid in there...my only discomfort by the way other than the pesky misquitos. The villa had a separate living and sleeping areas and a fully equipped kitchen. The place was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The swimming pool was rather small and right next to the restaurant. We did not use it. Our package included 4 breakfasts and 4 dinners. We we able to stretch the breakfasts to 8 by sharing one each morning after the first day. The breakfasts were very generous in portion size and sharing one was more than enough. Dinners were very good with fresh local ingredients. Since everything is freshly made, it does take awhile to prepare so plan to spend at least an hour for each meal. On several mornings we had to be at the sailing school early so we arranged to have our breakfast prepared and ready by 8:00. It was always promptly ready when we requested this. My husband and both wholeheartedly agreed that Fort Recovery was by far a better place to stay than a cookie cutter resort hotel. Regarding things to do around the island, there really isn't a whole lot unless you plan to sail, dive or snorkel. We called it BYOP (bring your own party) but it suited us since most of our time we were at the sailing school earning our sailing certifications and we were ready for bed at 9:00 each night (RSSS was outstanding and I plan to right a separate review on that). I do recommend a rental car to get around but only if you are not a timid driver since the roads are quite steep, narrow and windy. You can always take a taxi and there is a small market just a five minute walk from the hotel where you can get beer, wine, water and snacks. Our favorite restaurant was the Bananakeet that was an adventure to get to but worth it for the incredible views especially at sunset. Our last day was a free day so we did our 1/2 day snorkel trip that was part of our hotel package. Doug was very good about arranging activities and meals around our sailing schedule. The snorkling trip was amazing! Some of the very best snorkling I've experienced as compared to Hawaii, Key Largo and Key West. All in all, I highly recommend this hotel if you want a relaxed pace, charming villa on the beach and personal experience, especially if you combine it with sailing or other water sport activities.

Room Tip: I prefer the "penthouse" villa which are the second story units on the beach vs a first fl...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Let me begin by saying I am not a grump nor an inexperienced traveler. I hesitate to harshly criticize an establishment that has made efforts to remedy problems or compensate me for significant shortcomings. Things happen that are beyond the control of proprietors and I am pretty chill about most shortcomings. I am writing this because potential guests need to make informed choices with so many other nice places to stay and spend their vacation dollars.
We booked and prepaid for 3 nights in October at the beginning of the season. We had a week at another resort upcoming which is the only reason we didn't leave after the first 36 hours. For no obvious reason, the toilet was very slow flushing. Then there was only tepid water in the shower. We figured it was just a sluggish start to the overall system since we were literally the only guests. They had a workman dig up the beach in front ( charming!) to uncover the sewer pipe while we enjoyed the view. This was after the breakfast woman failed to show up for work . Oh,well. Doug explained that the water system is part of a municipal system that regulates the pressure which trips the water heater,etc. blablabla. We were understanding and good sports even after the light fixture in the bathroom began gushing water on my husband's head. We realized water was coming out of several spots in the closet,kitchen,bedroom,etc. We literally heaved the bedside tables onto the bed so we could shove it against the wall to stay dry and raced outside to alert the first staff we saw. Then we grabbed our suitcases off the floor and raced around placing towels to save furniture. Seems the torque of the water going on blew the kitchen pipe right out of the wall upstairs and it flooded the upstairs unit. We were moved to a unit in another building and spent the rest of the day watching staff haul everything from several units out to the lawn to dry out. The new room was somewhat nicer but still had no hot water. We felt certain it would be rectified shortly and didn't want to harass Doug who clearly had his hands full. He was aware. So we heated water in the coffee maker and stood in the shower as if we were camping. Seriously. Two more nights of Mr. Coffee sponge baths. Ok, we are on our way to a lovely resort so we just packed up and called the taxi.
When we popped in to the office to tell Doug we were leaving Anita came outside. She said that Doug claimed we had a problem during our stay. She almost implied she didn't believe him. "Yes, actually we had a flood in the first room and never got hot water the entire 3 day stay." I was flabbergasted when her reply was , "Oh, I'll give you a free night on your next visit." I was rendered speechless. And remained so after checking my credit card bill just to see if maybe she reconsidered after we left. Not a penny adjustment.
We have been to some 27 resorts or hotels in the Caribbean and I can honestly say this was the least pleasant experience. And the least gracious .

Room Tip: Go elsewhere .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
Rosewood Little Dix Bay
#1 of 7 in Virgin Gorda
4.5 of 5 stars 925 reviews

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!