“Just awesome!”

Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed November 24, 2012

After a week on a bareboat charter, this was a fabulous last night in the BVI. The suite was clean, on the beach and close to west end (Soper's Hole). The staff opened the kitchen to feed us lunch even though they don't normally serve lunch (they do serve breakfast). The food was very good and they were so accommodating. I just wish we had stayed longer! The suite we had was fully appointed with a full-size kitchen (all appliances) and with several markets nearby, this would be a great place to hang for a week without having to venture out for all your meals. We will be back!

Room Tip: Highly recommend a beachfront suite - fabulous sunsets!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jbuck101

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here after a bareboat charter experience for couple more days of rest and relaxation. I looked this hotel up prior to our stay and feel that it was accurate to its website. Customer service was always great, our room was clean (with a beautiful view), and I would stay here again. The fact that there is a store within walking distance and rooms with kitchenettes allows for privacy and independence from the resort. I like that. I also appreciate that this is not the type of resort where I would feel separated from the island in some ways I might at another. We had our dinners and breakfasts here and finished off the provisions we had left over in between. (the jerk chicken was SO good-be prepared for spicy!) The first night we had dinner the restaurant was empty, allowing for an intimate setting with music being played and lights dimmed by the wonderful woman seating, serving, and chatting with us. I've seen complaints about pricing but how can you complain about meals on site, even if you do have to give them a heads up prior to. I thought the dinners were great. Appetizers and wine are extra. Dinner per person is always $35 per person and breakfasts $15pp. These are reasonable prices in comparison to some other restaurants in the islands! The only real down side I would say is that l-and I know nothing about pool chemicals-could not see the bottom of the pool because it was hazy and I didn't want to get in it. There was nothing in it but it just wasn't clear. I didn't care much as the beach was right outside our room. There were bins with water in them by every room to rinse your feet in. Our linens were soft and smelled fresh. Our shower in villa 11 was huge. I could have used another blanket but never asked for one. There were lists of taxi's and prices for trips by the main office-true to scale as far as I could tell. It was about a $60 trip to Smugglers' Cove round trip, and I have to suggest it. That cove is stunning and get there early if you can, before other travelers is best, when the beach is best sparsely occupied (personally speaking). We could not use snorkel gear from the hotel as their boat takes it out everyday. They did tell us we could rent it from a place further than we wished to go. Can't lie-I was thinking we could use theirs. Bummer. The manager gave us a recommendation of a hotel in Puerto Rico (I wish we would have listened) for our layover after leaving. Anything we needed or asked for was met with assistance. I thought Fort Recovery was a very authentic place to stay for a resort type setting. I did not use the spa so I can't give much comment on that.

Room Tip: I'd go for a penthouse next time (they call the second levels penthouses) because I have a thing...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fishetri
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Awesome, friendly, well maintained hotel, with all the amenities. Great location, near West End, north end, 40 min cab ride from Roads Town. Villas are very clean, food is very good, the staff bends over backwards to accommodate your wishes. Our sailing crew arrived early after disembarking our vessel, and had rooms ready before official check in time. They don't serve lunches, but opened the kitchen to prepare Caesar salads with shrimp or chicken. The water front location provided our last view of a Caribbean sunset. Hats off to Doug and staff for our last and memorable night in the BVI's.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We spent a week here in the low season (I believe there were 1 or 2 more rooms rented). Location is very nice, the beach is private, and there is good snorkeling in front of it, The pier is great for an afternoon drink (you cater yourself as there is no bar service in the hotel). The price/quality is too high, but we guessed the location probably deserves the extra $$$. There breakfast was more of an improvisation and very limited, althought they tried to accommodate us. The swimming pool is not worth mentioning, but if you have small kids it may be interesting. There is no restaurant (at least on low season) so you get to try the other good options on the island, and there are quite a few, for which asking Doug will be helpful. Overall a good place I would return to.

Room Tip: As for rooms on the ground floor, so you have direct access to the beach. The ones on the first floo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

If you are expecting the Ritz and to be waited on hand and foot, this is not the place for you. However, it you want a place that feels like home, then this is it.

We stayed the first week of June 2012, the start of the slow season. Doug & Pam were very friendly and helpful since this was our first visit to Tortola. All of the staff treated us like family.

Our suite was upstairs (recommended for better tradewinds) and very comfortable. Kitchen was just enough for a vacation. Only disappointment was the lack of a clear view from our bedroom. I know the shutters are for privacy and protection tho. Only a few steps to the main balcony tho.

The food in the dining room was delicious and plenty. Simple, yet cooked well and healthy.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer L
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We spent 5 days at Fort Recovery this July-August, before and after a yacht charter around the islands. They were recommended as the most pleasant place on Tortola by friends who are BVI veteran visitors, and are staying there every year for the past decade+. Fort Recovery exceeded our expectations: the room was a few feet from the sandy private beach, and very pleasantly decorated. A small suite actually, with full kitchen (very handy), living room, comfy bathroom with huge shower, and king size bedroom. Awesome and helpful people, powerful A/C, free Wi-Fi, library, sweet mangos and coconuts for the picking, and the warm waters of the BVI at your front door... Great! Add to these easy parking, a refreshing pool, breakfast veranda and Caribb cooking on demand. Ok, now it is really great! Oh wait... they have a cozy dinghy pier if you wish to keep a small boat around, and the location is central to everything on Tortola, but secluded and away from any crowds/noise. The west end ferry dock, and the whole west end restaurant/shop area are just a couple of minutes away. Plus, for the Tortola 'insiders', the Fort Recovery location is on the cooler, breezier side of the island!
Now, I am not easily impressed: I live on the beach in Los Angeles and I travel to the most beatiful beaches of Greece every year. Believe me, this place is up there with the best. We visited many breath-takingly beautiful beaches on Tortola, and saw some amazing places. But we did not see another nice little hotel like Fort Recovery. We will be back.

Room Tip: Stay in a unit facing the beach, on the ground floor, and enjoy the amazing beach access. You can...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I stayed 4 nights in this hotel as a base to discover some of the beautiful virgin islands and while in the main it was a pleasant stay, there are some details I was not impress with due to the price of the rooms that for low seasons were not exactly cheap!
So lets start with the strong points:
* Lovely, nice and quite location
* nice small private beach with nice snorking
* Large rooms with lots of space
* Very nice people with real customer focus service
So the not so good points (always related to the hotel category and price)
* I arrived a bit late and tired after 3 diffent planes and 1 hour driving (about 8'30 PM) and everything was closed, nowhere to eat, nobody in reception, ...)
* there are not toiletries in the bathroom. So if you want to have a shower and was your hair you need to buy the products in the supermarket.
*Beds are not completely comfortable and they need renovating
* the breakfast process is more applicable to a **/*** hotel than a **** hotel. the Quality of the standard breakfast is poor, timing is limited and if you want a cook breakfast, you need to wait a lot as there is only one person to do all activities for all guests!

So overall great potential, some great points but it is not a **** hotel in any way

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
#3 of 13 in Road Town
Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel
Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel
#4 of 13 in Road Town

Been to Fort Recovery Beachfront Villa & Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!