“This was so much fun! Glad I did it!”

Dolphin Discovery Tortola
Ranked #5 of 38 things to do in Road Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphin Discovery invites you to live the dream of swimming with dolphins in the Caribbean paradise of Tortola. We offer a range of programs for all ages, a family-friendly adventure you will never forget.
Atlanta, Georgia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“This was so much fun! Glad I did it!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

You must do this! It was so neat to touch the dolphins and have them give you a ride with their fins and push you up in the air with their feet! We spent a good amount of time in the water with the dolphins and got great photos to remember our trip!

Chatham, Canada
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“What could be better”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We booked this trip for a family of 8 from our Cruise ship leaving from St. Thomas and going by ferry to Tortola. First of all the lady who looked after the passports, the paperwork for entry into Torola and then back into the United States was absolutely awesome.
When we arrived we watched a video of what to do when interacting with the dolphins and then set off to get in the water with them. What an experience. We were upgraded for free and we had the dolphins tow us by their dorsal fins and then push our feet to do a superman take off. They are such amazing creatures and we got to kiss and hug them and play with them. It is a day I will never forget. We had lunch there which ended us being a bit rushed because we were looking at the photos to put on a CD and the ferry bringing us to Tortola was late so it cut our time. The ride back was lovely.
It was a great family day with wonderful memories.

2 Thank BridgetD710
Mooretown, Ontario
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Good and bad.”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We visited this site as part of a cruise excursion and did the 'dolphin adventure' option. Upon arrival, we were divided into very unorganized groups and were not participating in the water as were the other groups. Only after complaining was the problem solved to our benefit in the end.

There was lots of activity in the water with the dolphins and those in our group loved the interaction. Myself knowing how these dolphins came to be penned could have gone without but I was there for my family so endured it as best as I could.

The operation tries to soak you on pictures in the end and remember the smaller the group lowers the price of the CD eg a 7 person photo cd will run around $299 usd. This is outrageous as far as I am concerned but people must buy them or the $ wouldn't be that high.

Having done this excursion once, I would not do it again. For those looking for a decent interaction with the dolphins and can deal with the moral issues of the facility then it will likely appease you.

1 Thank Coondog99
Shubenacadie, Nova Scotia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Now I Can Say I DID IT!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

A friend and I went to Tortola in OCT 2012. We were part of a cruise ship tour. I can't speak for him but I myself was impressed. Not overly like I had anticipated but I'm glad i did it. I paid extra for the Royal Swim which was supposed to include 30 mins of free swim time. I didn't get that. It was more of a stand in line and wait your turn to do the next trick with the dolphin. I did the foot push, loved that. They are amazing creatures and I know now that they eat very well because when I told the trainer where we were from he informed us that Nova Scotia, Canada is where the dolphins get their fish/food from for training them. The photos were a little pricey but to be expected. The ferry ride from the USVI to the BVI was a little rougher than the cruise ship I just got off of but it was fun. The bus ride was interesting too. US Customs Officers were rude - was almost like they wanted to get you upset by their condescending mannerism just to add some excitement to their day. As i was standing outside in the line I read the big sign about US Customs and their mission statement. The very first line was about how they will treat you with courteousness and respect - well.....If anyone isn't following a posted directive - it's them. Not all but some and they know who they are. Makes you wonder if that's how they would want someone to treat their mother or daughter in a foreign land. No excuse for bad manners. Always always always exercise justice with compassion. Can't say I would spend another 170.00pp + 50.00 for 2 photos to do it again though. Seems pretty steep.

Visited October 2012
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Friendly and accommodating”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My husband and I, (seniors) were on a cruise and decided to walk to the Botanical Gardens, we ended up going the wrong way and came upon the Dolphin Discovery, we decided to go in to have a rest and use the washrooms. Much to our surprise we could go in without paying admission and sit and watch the dolphins. The staff were very knowledgeable and we learned so much just listening and watching. It was a quiet day and they had one group of people arrive to swim with the dolphins. We watched it all, then asked the man in the gift store how far it was to walk to the Botanical Gardens. We found out we had walked the wrong direction and it was a good distance to go the Gardens. All of a sudden he offered to have one of his staff drive us. We couldn't believe it, as we were delivered right to the gate of the Gardens. What generous and friendly people. We will tell many others to make this a stop while in Road Town.

Visited January 2013