“Great day, much better than a 'Seaworld' type on encounter!”

Dolphin Discovery Tortola
Ranked #5 of 38 things to do in Road Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphin Discovery invites you to live the dream of swimming with dolphins in the Caribbean paradise of Tortola. We offer a range of programs for all ages, a family-friendly adventure you will never forget.
United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Great day, much better than a 'Seaworld' type on encounter!”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

We had a lovely time on this tour. We booked it whilst on a cruise ship and were pleased we booked the later tour as it was much quieter. It was very organised and i felt happy because the environment was a bit more natural, not like some of these awful pools you get at Seaworld-type places and zoos etc!
We only did the 'Encounter', not the 'Swim' as i didn't fancy getting pulled around by the poor things. It was just nice to get up close with them and our trainer was very nice, calm and not too 'in your face'. I situated myself by the bucket which had the fish which was a good idea so the dolphin kept coming back to where i was for it's 'treat'!
You must try and get a waterproof camera for this if you can! I took video as well which is great for when the dolphins speak! There are photographers on hand to take your pics when you're doing all the cheesy stuff like holding the ball etc but it's nice to get some natural shots too. They sell a disc of all the pics taken of you for about $100 or individually for about $20. Very expensive but hey ho... we got the whole pack in the end and also had all my pics and videos from my camera! But it was a lovely day and i think everyone on our tour enjoyed it too.

Visited December 2011

Bedford Hills, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Worth it, even if it is a bit cheesy”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We went with our 23 and 19 year olds, who've long wanted to swim with dolphins. I thought it would be really cheesy and it is ... but they loved it! We opted for the top-of-the-line Royal Swim, which includes a dorsal pull for all of about 15 ft and a toe push, with the dolphins pushing the kids out of the water. They couldn't have been happier. If you can avoid going when a cruise trip is in, do so. We caught the tail end of a cruise visit and it was horrible with loads of people around and the place felt frenzied and hectic. Once they'd all gone it was miles nicer. The photo deal is ridiculously expensive, but we got our own pix, not as great as the official photographer's, but ours will do fine. If they'd offered the pix for about $20 online we would have done that but you have to decide there and then and it's about $80. The facility seems pretty clean, right on the ocean with tidal seawater coming in and the dolphins seem well cared for and perfectly happy.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank nutsaboutnews
michigan
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Fun and interesting interaction with the dolphins”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I purchased the dolphin swim with the foot push, dorsal tow, and other activities. The session began with an orientation and then they divided everyone into smaller groups. I was in a group with about 8 people. There was one dolphin trainer per group and he led us through each activity. I enjoyed touching and seeing the dolphins up close. They are amazing and well trained. I noticed that there were some younger children in my group that were too scared to participate in the doral tow or the foot push so if you are a parent I would not spend the money for this activity if your children are small. For the foot push you have to swim out from the dock to the center of the lagoon and lay with your legs out behind you and your arms stretched out above you like super man. You have to keep your legs tight. It is amazing, the trainer commands two dolphins to swim up and push the bottom of your feet with their nose. The force is so great and you move so fast that you are lifted completely vertical out of the water and they carry you across the water! This was a lot of fun! During all of the activities a photographer is taking pictures for purchase afterward. My only concern is for the dolphins, I asked Dolphin Discovery if they limit the number of people that the dolphins perform these activities with each day. They said no, that they do not have a set limit. They seem to take great care of the dolphins but I thought maybe they should have some kind of limit to protect the animal's well being. All in all it was a fun activity that I would recommend.

3 Thank hobiecatsailor
Vancouver, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Chance of a lifetime but you pay for it”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We booked this on our cruise ship through the cruise company. It was a last minute decision but we figured - hey why not? We'll probably only get to do this once. Our package included shuttle buses, the ferry ride from and to St Thomas, and the dolphin stuff. Super fun, and we had two dolphins for our group of 6. We each got to kiss the dolphins, fin ride, foot push (where they push you up in the air), and then some other fun poses. All in all, about 1 hour with the dolphins. At the end, they had a series of photos for us waiting. We knew it was going to be expensive but didn't think it would be $100 for the two of us. Wowza. This was on top of our already expensive package. Problem is - you're never gonna get these pictures again, so I think everyone in our entire group (of around 20) bought the pictures. Cha-ching for them, I'm sure.

The staff was generally friendly and helpful. All in all we had a great time but felt a little bit gouged.

Visited November 2011
5 Thank tinybabyrobot
British Virgin Islands
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Friendliest people in Tortola, nice break from the average day”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We took our daughter for her second birthday. Most would say that's a little young BUT it was an awesome experience! The staff was accommodating. The dolphins are very well trained. The facility is extremely clean. The most impressive part to me, was how the staff seamed genuinely concerned with my toddler having a good time. They were eager to show off the birds and show off feeding the animals until our time started.

The downside is the need a better assortment of snacks and drinks.... We were there for four hours in the hot Tortola sun and an ice cream cone would have been if it was available.

1 Thank HoppingHolidays