“Exceeded my cynical expectations”

Dolphin Discovery Tortola
Ranked #4 of 38 things to do in Road Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Dolphin Discovery invites you to live the dream of swimming with dolphins in the Caribbean paradise of Tortola. We offer a range of programs for all ages, a family-friendly adventure you will never forget.
United States
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“Exceeded my cynical expectations”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Our son has neuro challenges, and so many doctors suggest animal therapy, including swimming with dolphins. We live near Tortola so I figured we might as well take ferry over.....it was spectacular. The trainers were accustimed to people hwo needed some extra attention, and it turns out groups of people with disabilities visit there regularly. We had the place to ourselves (Noon show) and we all got a chance to swim twice with the dolphins, hang out, and really learn alot. The trainers were in no hurry, and we enjoyed ourselves very much. People complain about the cost of the photos, and video, but I thought they were worth it. If you buy the whole package you get about 140 photos on Cd, and 3 print 5 x 7. I would suggest that people interested in dolphins, and tropical birds, visit. You will enjoy it...if you relax and let the trainers do their jobs.

Visited May 2011
5 Thank hungrytraveler0

Columbus, Ohio
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Royal Swim with the Dolphins in Tortola”
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This is an experience I have wanted to try for a long time, and I finally had my chance! Myself and 6 members of my family went to Dolphin Discovery, and did the "Royal Swim" through www.shoretrips.com. This was a program where we got to interact with the dolphins, give them a kiss, shake their fin, as well as pet them and get splashed! However, the best part was that we got to do a dorsal pull, where 2 dolphins pull you through the water. AND also a toe push, where the dolphins pushed you clear out of the water on your feet. What a sensation it was. The time with the dolphins was magical! However, afterwards, the workers at the Prospect Reef Resort tried to sell video and photos. Although we were told this would be part of the day, I was disappointed in how expensive everything was, and how terribly understaffed and unorganized the workers were. Secondly, the taxi ride was $5 per person, and was a total rip-off for our 5 minute ride. The prices are controlled by the goverment, so our large gorup had no room to negotiate. Lastly, on the Shore Trips website, they said observers could come for free. We had elderly grandparents we wanted to take, so I called to make sure there was somewhere for them to sit while they watched. They told me no, so we did not bring them. When we got there, there were benches EVERYWHERE to sit!! I was heartbroken that my grandparents couldn't watch us. The employees at Shore Trips need to know their information better!!! In the end, it was a great time, thought, and I would do it again!!

Visited December 2010
8 Thank Amy L
Manila, Philippines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“First-timers... Worth every penny!”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We missed our scheduled group because our rental car brokedown en route, we called the main office and they said no problem. We arrived after the last group had already gone and we got our own two-person swim in the maternity pool with 2 females and their babies. It's hard to imagine how smooth and sweet the dolphins are until you spend time with them. Our host Emilio was friendly, funny and obviously loved his job teaching us and the dolphins.

We bought the Royal Swim via their website and got 15% off, we got lots of pictures and a memorable video for purchase after our swim ($50 for the DVD and about $8 per photo). The package was as-described and included all the elements listed. We had multiple kisses, fin pulls and foot pushes, which was more than I expected. If you have a chance to do this I highly recommend it.

Watching the babies train in the same tank while we swam with their mothers was amazing! We even got to pet the babies, under careful supervision of three trainers. We felt safe and they were all very professional.

They also have beautiful parrots that live on-site. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

4 Thank travelswithdogs0