“Very mediocre but convenient before crusie.”

Moorings Mariner Inn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Atlanta
“Very mediocre but convenient before crusie.”
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We spent one night here before our "Signature" Moorings cruise on a 6200. All I can say is Yuck if you don't get one of the new rooms.We were in a garden room.The a/c in our room did not work - well, it cooled a little but the contoller did not work and we were warm all night. Friends room was fine. Less impressive was the two rooms next to us filled with no less than 18 people from one famlily. When we walked upstairs to our room they were all hanging out - laying on towels, pool floats, chairs from the room. Wet towels, snorkel gear & life jackets hanging everywhere. Mind you, the balcony is on the other side of the room - this was happening in the corridor. They had huge coolers (5') filled with food. Kids, coolers & people everywhere. They somehow cooked what smelled like quesadillas in the middle of the night. When I went to the front desk to get enough towels for the people in my room ( why?) I mentioned this situation to the front desk. She could not have cared less. I asked to move my group. I am the repeat Moorings customer who set all of this up and by this point I was embarrassed. Rooms were available but she didn't want to have to mess with it. We had drinks and appetizers at the pool to get away from the Harlem feel outside our rooms. Food & drinks were good. Very nice bartender. Then for dinner we went down the dock to Charlie's. Gorgeous setting . Wonderful breeze. No one there. Maybe one other table. Ordered a round of drinks. Bartender promptly made them lining them up so pretty on the top of the bar. Where they sat and sat, sweating & ice melting. Literally 10 minutes after they were made the waitress sauntered over. Now - I spend a lot of time in the BVI's and understand island time. This was uncalled for in this atmosphere and price range. We paid nearly $250 for a couple shared salads, pizza's and a cocktail. With poor service.
The whole Mariner Inn experience was not how I wanted to start our long awaited fabulous week sailing.
Bottom line - I'd recommend for Moorings charterers obviously. It can't be more convenient before a cruise. Just be sure you don't go with a garden room and do go off property for dinner.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed June 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed in Room 5 the night before our charter. It is really lovely with a large garden tub and walk-in shower. The fixtures, furniture and decor are sleek and modern. Room 5 and the two rooms adjacent to it overlook the entrance to Wickams Cay II and the patio between the Moorings lobby and Charlies restaurant. We had to pay extra for the larger room and the view. Even though the room was great I wouldn't pay that much unless it's the only room available. One problem is that if there is an event on the patio you can't get away from it. The Miss BVI padgeant was held there the evening we came in and the party after was noisy. However, after I talked to the manager at Charlies, everything was quiet by 10 p.m. which was fine.

We stayed in Room 8 the night after our charter ended and it was very nice. The rooms on that side overlook the Moorings base so you have a great view of their fleet. Room 8 is not quite as large and there is no tub (the shower is very large) but the decor is just as nice. This room cost just half of what we paid for Room 5.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary Denis
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed June 9, 2009

stayed one night before our Moorings charter and one night after... Our only problem was that when we first booked we were told all the rooms were refurbished.. Not true we paid for a garden room and then we wer told only 16 were completed and we did not have a newly remodeled room. We had to play 35 dollars extra for the room.. The newly remodel rooms were excellent just a shame that we wern't told up front about it. The reatuarants were very nice.. Charlie's was a little prices however the service was excellent and when you add in the taxi ride to town it was affordable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My fiancee and I stayed at the newly constructed hotel on the moorings facility after a week long boat excurision. In a nutshell the place was fine to stay after being on the boat for a week, but I would not stay there again and certainly not if I wasn't taking a boat out.

We brought our boat in around 10am and we're not allowed to the room until 2:00pm... exactly. They did give us clean towels before checking in so we could swim at the pool, but I had to convince them to do so. Our room, while brand new, had a leaking air conditioner and the cheapest shampoo/soap for a hotel at that price range.

Overall, there is a lot of potential, but the management needs to learn how to run a hotel and treat guests properly. They seem very stingy on everything. Finally, the staff too couldn't really be bothered with visitors, but I kind of got that feeling from many of the locals at Virgin Gorda.

If you come in late on a boat and are flying out the next day, this is an easy place to stay. But if you don't mind the taxi cost, I'd go to another nicer location.

Also note you can walk into Road Town from the location if you don't mind ~ 1 mile walk, but there wasn't much to do there.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
san diego
Reviewed October 30, 2008

My husband and I just returned from the BVi's. We stayed at this hotel for two nights as Moorings charter co. is part of this hotel. They are building a new wing of the hotel as we speak, but they have let the part we stayed in go to seed. The rooms were dark with very little light. The fixtures in the bathroom come off in your hand. We didn't have water one night. The beds had springs coming through them. Construction is going on all around you. The only reason we stayed there is because a group of us (8) were chartering a boat for two weeks and we were a captive audience as the provisioning of the boat would have been impossible from another hotel. When we complained about the accommodations, they were less than helpful and didn't want to refund us any money. They said we would have to write a letter to moorings. Our group spent over $17000.00 for the charter alone so we were less than pleased that we got treated so badly. Do not stay at this hotel until they have finished renovations.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank MareSanDiego

Travelers are raving about these Road Town hotels

West Virginia
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Had a wonderful stay at the Mariner Inn for two nights prior to chartering a boat from The Moorings and one night following the trip. True, the rooms are a little dated, simple but they were clean and the best part was the brand new shower/bathhouse that is now open to all guests. We just took our showers there instead of in the room. You get your own little private room that is air conditioned and very modern. There is even a rain shower head above you as well as a regular shower stream that comes out of the wall behind you. It's like a mini spa in there.

The food was excellent, especially the breakfast and dinner buffets when they had those. The last night was the Friday night buffet and was an amazing spread of food. Service was very friendly and the convienience of their location is perfect. Excellent pina coladas from their bar. They are in the process of adding an addition to the hotel as well as renovating the rooms one by one. Once it is complete it will be amazing!!!

I miss the BVI so badly and cannot wait until I can return again to this piece of heaven.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — that I couldn't stay longer.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank hmorici
Chicago, IL
Reviewed May 5, 2008

My crew stayed at the Mariner Inn prior to our week long charter in March. The staff was friendly and accommodating, the room was clean and well prepared. No real complaints. The property upgrades look fantastic! This is the place to stay if you are:
1. Chartering a boat, 2. A sailor in general (and you like to hang with your type), 3. need a clean place to stay near Road Town.

I would not recommend this place if you want a beach/ resort type atmosphere.

Overall a great stay!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No beach
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank B-Kinng
#9 of 13 in Road Town
Long Bay Beach Club
Long Bay Beach Club
#7 of 25 in Tortola

Been to Moorings Mariner Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!