“Beautiful”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
St. Croix
“Beautiful”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed at Maria's by the Sea Mar.25-27 2013 very convenient looking to the ferry, walking distance. very pleasant staff and at night the property is well lit Tortola is a very beautiful island a bit small but nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank unique23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Lots of potential unfulfilled; the new rooms are large and airy but very empty - need some more furniture to make more comfortable. Little touches are missing eg a bottle of water in the rooms, a minibar. Good chef and enjoyed the simple but tasty menu. Front office staff helpful. Could do vert well with a little more investment of ideas - would stay again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AZandDZ
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Again, Maria's by the Sea was a great place to stay after coming off a sailboat. We were on a boat for 12 days this year and just to be able to check in early (by request) and take a hot shower and a nap in air conditioning WAS WONDERFUL.
The staff is alway friendly, rooms are clean (we stay in the older rooms) and the in room coffee is actually good.
We will stay again and again!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better unless you like crowing at 4:20 AM!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Parry Sound, Canada
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Just spent a week at Maria's. Had a superior room that fell far short. No hot water, no internet in the room. Had breakfast twice. Very ordinary and never offered a second cup of coffee. Can say the front desk staff were pleasant and tried to be helpful.

Room Tip: Request a room in the new wing on second floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SandyGroundBeachboy

Travelers are raving about these Road Town hotels

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We arrived in Road Town via the ferry from St. Thomas and needed a room for one night on both ends of our boat rental. We chose MBTS for these reasons, 1) it was walking distance from the ferry and since we had packed lightly that would save us two taxis, 2) it seemed by far the cheapest place by a long shot & 3) we would also be walking distance to restaurants. Based on reviews I really wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by the looks and cleanliness of the place.The pool overlooking the ocean was a bonus although during the afternoon the whole area was in direct sunlight. Wifi signal was good on both our stays with them. We did however feel like the overstuffed chairs in a common area on the second floor had some kind of biting bugs (perhaps fleas?). We only went into the restaurant once late at night for a beer and the service was ridiculously slow.

Thank goodness I had printed out all of our reservation information (including MBTSs reservation confirmation) because they had put our family of three in a room with one bed. The receptionist was happy to move us into a bigger room at a higher price but we wouldn't budge as we had our confirmation with us. The receptionist tried to call her manager in order to move us into a bigger room at the same price but the manager wasn't answering her phone. We had to hang out for 45-60 minutes before getting approval from the manager THEN they wanted us to sign for a cost that was about $35 more and tried to explain about the extra cost for the third person -- NOT! We finally got the cost down to about $15 more and gave in because we were tired. We got a wonderful room with a balcony and view, which we understand was more than what we paid for but we felt this was their problem for booking us into a too small room to begin with. We were told several times that since we booked their price had gone up -- not our problem. When we went to check out the price had risen again.....sigh! Our original expectation was to pay $165 for our night and ended up at just under $200. Needless to say we were not looking forward to our next stay with them that would happen in seven days. I should also add that it seemed like every time we went by reception there was someone there trying to check in and having similar problems.

Fast forward seven days and we were back. This time our room had correctly been reserved and our 'balcony' was covered over with lattice to mask that our view was overlooking all the AC units on the roof. Even if we had wanted to sit on an 'enclosed balcony' it was too noisy. I don't believe the bill was $165 either but but our seven days of cruising had me in a relaxed mood.

Did I mention both days we were awoken by construction?

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the construction.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RockingGiraffe
Antigua
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have been at this Hotel twice in the last two months.
The service is very bad and I think the Hotel is overpriced.

ROOMS
Rooms are clean and in a good shape although pretty simple.

They miss details like no tea spoon to mix in the room, cleaners forgetting to leave shampoo and shower gel if you stay more than one day.

SHOWER IS TERRIBLE!

Both times I stayed at the hotel the shower was cold. I said it at the reception but nothing was done.

RECEPTION
Reception staff is nice, I must say that, but restaurant and bar service is terrible.

RESTAURANT AND BAR
At breakfast if you sit on a table with more sits than you need (for example 2 people sitting on a 4 sits table) the waitress tells you to move in a way like you were an inmate, I swear.

I was at breakfast and I saw a nice and sweet elderly couple sitting. The man was walking with difficulties, he had a stick to walk, his wife was helping him. They might have been in their 80s.

The waitress arrived and said to them: " you move there!".

The two poor people had to stand and move, and believe me every step was a pain for this old man. I felt bad for them.

Service is slow. I asked for coffee and a bagel. The bagel arrived quickly, 5 minutes, but no coffee. So I asked once, then again, and then a third time. 45 minutes later I got my coffee. Late for my business meeting, but I really needed a coffee after a long flight the previous night.

POOL
Terrible. The pool is supposed to be nice. In front of the sea. Very suggestive. The problem is that when I went to swim the water was not clean. I couldn't see.

LOCATION

Good for business, but far from the beaches. There are many restaurants at walking distance but this is not a beach location although at the sea front.

Room Tip: AVOID IF YOU CAN but if you cannot, Try to get a room on the highest floors, ground and first floor...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FredSax
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed May 8, 2013

This place is average. The rooms are nice enough and clean enough for what you pay for. The service is terrible. I tried to move my table for lunch to something near the water and got a hurumph! Cheeseburger came 15 minutes later and was really good.
Dinner wasn't so great. Ordered dinner and drinks at 7:45. Now we we're ready to have some drinking fun. The waitress could have made some money off of us. Instead we received our fooe and drinks 1 hour later. Needless to say they did not get a tip from us.
My friends we're checking out of their room and during the process they stopped to help check someone else out of their room. Terrible customer service.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 25 in Tortola
Village Cay BVI Hotel
Village Cay BVI Hotel
#11 of 13 in Road Town

Been to Maria's by the Sea? Share your experiences!