“awesome”

Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Road Town
Reviewed June 17, 2012

nanny cay hotel is one of the best hotel the receptionist are very nice well i must say i see three receptionist and out of the three two of them is nice which is diana and ishauna they are two very nice persons it have one who does sit down all the time never stand and never smile which is bridget and she deal with you sitting :( i will go back to this hotel any time the house keeping does and good job wouldn't see excellent like the front desk and the pool is good , the restaurants are nice , the ice cream polar is expensive i can go on and on but i would leave it there for now and i will be staying it this hotel for my entire stay as long as i am in the british virgin islands

Room Tip: ocean view is the best room
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 9, 2012

The fitness centre equipment was hopeless. I really felt like every single local on this island almost, did not want tourists there at all. I have never seen anything like it. I will say the room was clean to be fair. The hotel is in a marina that gets little to no breeze, a $15 taxi from road town, which to me is not the same as saying road town. The hotel pool was so heavily chlorinated it burnt my eyes and skin I couldn't stay in more than 10 minutes and I am a swimmer, so I'm used to chlorine. The veggie curry from peg legs was less than average, resembling nothing of a Caribbean curry from any of the numerous other islands I have been. I could elaborate more on this- but almost want to just forget the whole experience at this point. The conch fritters from Soppers in road town had barely any conch and was all flour, though this cost cutting technique is a lot more common from cheap places but I expected more for $11 a serve plus a 15% auto gratuity, something like that on a bill has you thinking the place has a standard. The dive shop has a minimum of $15 to pay by card and the other gift shop was $25, not too big of a deal if there was a ATM anywhere in the cay. The icecream shop got their stock from st Thomas and the 3 flavors I tried were all loaded with ice crystals and tasted extremely stale. The supermarket freezer didn't work properly so all their stock was only half frozen as well, once I showed them the quality of their stock I was told there is no refunds, I could take another icecream (that was melted) if I wanted or some other item to the same value. The supermarket did have the nicest staff of all, I will say. It is such a shame, this place had to suck so bad, I had been looking forward to my trip to Tortola for the longest time. Unbelievably expensive for some of the poorest quality I have ever experienced in all areas, I am well versed in the islands and by no means have unreal expectations. I really hope the rest of the bvi's is better than nanny cay. I do not recommend this hotel or marina!

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Directhonest
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed at Nanny Cay for two months while working in Road Town. As a business woman travelling on my own it was a wonderful community to stay in. My husband and daughter flew out to join me for Christmas. We had an amazing Christmas Day on the beach at Nanny Cay followed by a wonderful meal in Peg Legs, Von the chef is amazing.

Boxing Day with the help of Sam and Simon who manage Nanny Cay, we rented a boat and driver and explored the other islands.

We all flew back to the UK at the end of December but if I am lucky enough to stay in the BVI again, I know where I will be staying. Nanny Cay ticks all the boxes for us.

We are in the process of buying ourselves a holiday chalet in the UK and have named it CaribbCay in memory of our time in the BVI.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jane2609
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Spent 5 day/nights at nanny Cay after 2 nights at Cane Garden and was so pleased with rooms, price, location, activities, food, shops, and employees. Great pool area and the marina was great of boat rentals and just relaxing. Close to town and to West End for night life and ferry service to the other islands.. A fun drive to Cane Garden and the west/north side. Early morning wakes ups from the roosters is easy to tolerate when you consider where you are. We had rooms without kitchens and was perfect with just a fridge and microwave.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Stayed over one night on business and one night was enough. Poor check in, tv didn't work, a/c didn't work, room dark and dreary. My thoughts pretty much coincide with a lot of the negative reviews. Wake up people, Tortola has expanded their cruise business and I hear is going to lengthen their runway for bigger planes. Come up to tourist standards, before some wiser people come in and put you out of business.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank reedequine
Reviewed March 19, 2012

The resort was a convenient location to stay before and after our week on a sailing charter which was located at Nanny Cay. Weary on our arrival after 12 hours of travel I found that I my phone had fallen out in the cab from the airport. The office personnel on duty at Nanny Cay went through some great efforts to locate the taxi driver who found the phone in his cab. He returned it to me at the hotel the following morning. I am thankful for the assistance all the way around.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sue A
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Wow, what a disappointment. We stayed at Nanny Cay (Hotel) from 2/14 to 2/19/2012 and we can honestly say we will NEVER stay there again unless there are some MAJOR changes.
Our main reason for staying here was location. We were renting a power boat for a few days (from Island Time who was located right on the property, who we loved by the way) and thought it would be best to stay at a marina. Nanny Cay seemed to have everything we were looking for. We knew going in to it that it would not be luxury as we checked out Trip Advisor, looked at pictures, and obviously from the price. However, we do expect a few minor things at any hotel that we pay for: somewhat clean rooms, somewhat comfy bed, HOT water, and a friendly staff. We experienced none of those small items.
To sum it up, our room was very dirty (ex. we turned off the fan and there was about an inch or so of dust piled on), our beds hardly looked made, let alone comfy enough to sleep in (the mattress and bedding looked/smelled about 30 years old), the phone was very dusty and had no dial tone, the kitchenette had a broken microwave and sink, and to top it all off we were without HOT WATER for 48hours! The only complaint we thought worthy to bring to the staff’s attention was the hot water. We walked down to the front desk THREE TIMES to ask for help before someone finally fixed the problem. Every time we talked to the attendant she (we saw 2 different women) made us feel like it wasn’t her problem. “We’ll send someone”. No apology, no sense of urgency or sympathy, just plain rude. On our third trip down (on an evening we had dinner reservations at an off-site restaurant) we asked to be moved to a different room and her response was “Yeah right, not tonight” and she gave a lovely little laugh. One of the service men finally was able to fix it (he was very friendly, finally) and we decided to ask to speak to the manager once we were checking out. Again, the response was rude but she promised a manager would call on Monday (we checked out on a Sunday). Did we get a call? Of course not!
I could go on and on even further about some of the staff at the restaurants/bars but I’ll stop here. We frequent Tortola often and feel like Nanny Cay has such potential because of its location and marina. But like I said, we will NEVER go back or EVER recommend it unless there are major changes. Beware!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
#5 of 13 in Road Town
Surfsong Villa Resort
Surfsong Villa Resort
#1 of 1 in Beef Island

Been to Nanny Cay Marina & Hotel? Share your experiences!