“Absolutely horrible!”

Ranked #11 of 39 things to do in Road Town
New York City, New York
“Absolutely horrible!”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Travelers beware. There is an excellent ferry service called ROAD TOWN Fast ferry.
This is not it! Smith's is trying to confuse travelers by calling one of their ferries TORTOLA fast ferry. Many of us had to find out that this ferry is not only disgusting but also SLOW if it runs at all.

Visited November 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Call for updated schedules!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We have used Smith's Ferry on more than a few occasions and have always been satisfied with their knowledge/experience from handling the baggage to a smooth ride. I had checked on the web site for times of departure (this past August) and arrived per the schedule indicated on the website. Maybe because it was not "season" but the times were not accurate. When I asked at the ticket desk I was told that sometimes it does change during "off season". He said I should call next time (which I did on returning to St. Thomas). Luckily, we only had to wait for an hour or so before the next ferry but I can see that next time we visit I WILL call and make sure the ferry is running as scheduled per it's website. Otherwise, the ferry runs smoothly and though people from the mainland may not be used to how the St. Thomas end is organized (compared to the Tortola side)~it all "works" and everyone and their luggage makes it over with out incident.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank serene4848
Colorado
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Bring Cash”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We used Smith's both ways (going from St. Thomas to Tortola and back) and was more impressed with them from the Tortola side. They were rude and not very helpful on the US side (St. Thomas). As someone that hadn't been there before, we weren't sure about the procedure, baggage, customs, etc. They didn't want to be bothered with questions or have to fool with 'newbies'-or that was the impression we were given. In their defense, there were a lot of people trying to make that particular ferry but their communication wasn't good at all. Also, they would only take CASH. No credit cards although they advertised that they did. However, on the return trip (from Tortola), everyone we came in contact with made up for it. Very helpful and precise in their instructions on where to be, when to be there, etc. They were all smiling and very friendly. The ferry ride itself was fine...hot when we were sitting at the dock waiting to leave and when we were docking but a great breeze when we were riding. The downstairs is air conditioned and fills up fast. Even though my experience with them on the US side was a little frustrating, I would use them again. Especially since I know how 'to do' now!

Visited September 2013
St. Thomas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Great service smooth ride”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The front desk services was excellent and the ride was quick and uneventful (as far as drama goes)! The options for one way and round trip were great as well as the days of travel. I highly recommend this mode of transportation to Tortola.

Visited July 2013
Seaside, Oregon
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Travel from St. Thomas to Tortola”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Crew were very nice, organized and clean vessel. Would have liked larger windows in the main cabin for better views of the landscape. Overall, a good experience.

Visited January 2013